NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Coco wont get back in his cage :/

NatJ

Helllooooo everyone,

i havent been here for a very long time & so much has happened lol :D

Coco is better than ever, my best friend & we cannot shut him up these days, he talks, sings, whissles & it is just such a joy to be owned by him :)

ok, so coco chose me as his one & only... im the only one who can touch him, kiss him, play with him, clean his cage, feed him & absolutly eveything........

but getting him back into his cage when i need him back is a total nightmare :/

its the only time he wont step up onto me, he flyes away from me... & the amazing thing is, he just knows what im gonna do without me even saying it, like he gets the "she gonna put me back in my cage vibe" loool...... till in the end i have to put food in his cage & waut for him to climb in.... Not very good oif i need him back in quickly for some reason,,,,

please Help xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speaking from experience....do you have a typical routine for putting him back in his cage? I managed to train Shadow fairly well to predict when I was going to put her "away". She has always been given free choice when she is out of her cage and I simply asked her to step up so that I could put her away....as smart as she is, she quickly learned that if I was asking for a stepup, it was likely she was going to go back to her cage. Not good for me!! I have since redirected my own behavior and now often ask for the step up randomly, sometimes simply to put her back on her playstand. Shadow is stick trained but the idea is the same. I have been practicing this technique with my Amazon too and it makes returning to the cage much easier. GOOD LUCK!

Talon and my birds occasionally pull this routine. They wil be fine for as long time, then they decide NO more going in their cage. I always talk to them as I am heading to their cage, and ALWAYS have a special treat to give them when I put them in their cage. There has been times, I have had to chase one around the house, blocking off doorways, and even towelling or holding them tight. They soon learn they are going in the hard way, or the easy way. In a couple of days, they are back to letting me put them in nicely with a special treat. They do go thru stages, especially Talon my 7 year old.

As Talon said.... its the "hard way", or the easy way! You choose! Never give in. Chase that baby. Its bedtime, and don't let them stray from that thought. Sophie doesn't fly that great... so when she pulls that nonsence, I put her on the floor in front of her cage, tell her " bedtime!" She climbs up and puts herself to bed. Nancy

I give them the 15 minute warning, then 10, 5 and then in the the cage. I rarely have problems since they always get a good treat for going in the cage - an almond, half a grape. But then they both act like banshees for another 10 minutes, hanging upside down yelling "Good Boy! Out! Out! Out!" If it's not one thing, it's another! :)

Judygram... you are lucky! For many parents, greys pull the usual child stuff. " I need a drink of water!"LOL Nancy

You can say that again. Jake was asleep on his cage top with his head tucked in and he still gave me a hard time about going in for bed. I get a sound nip every night no matter what I do or what time it is.

Wingy... sorry! Stick to your guns, don't give an inch! Eventually, I promise Jake will understand he is never going to win this arguement, thru routine and consistency. He'll go to bed at your time eventually. My guys go to bed at 8pm. They now put themselves to bed but I went thru the battle. I never gave them another hour, unless I was having a party. Then bedtime got extended. Sophie LOVES parties. Nancy

Marco on occasion has ran up my arm to avoid going in the cage but typically she doesnt fuss much by the time she gets put in the cage she knows its dark and its bedtime. We tell her that too every night "time to go to bed or its night night time" she doesnt throw a fit "Yet" :confused: Im sure its only a matter of time perhaps til she can vocalize her dislike LOL When shes uptop of her playstand I have to use a long perch to get her down cuz im a shorty ... and sometimes she'll bite at it and try to toss it out of my hand and refuse to step up on it but she usually complies after a few minutes.

Aerial... get a step stool. Its important to always be taller than your birds. I lived on a stepstool for a long time. ( six months). I don't need a stepstool any longer. I'm mom! What kid in their right mind, EVER argues with the mama! They are going to lose the battle! My gang know I am fair, and I listen to their complaints. I make a fair decision, based on everyone's input. Even though Sunny our rescue can't talk well, I understand what he is complaining about.( he could go on and on!) Nancy

When birds. have a home that door is never closed, they also need to learn boundaries. Most free birds will go to the highest spot... and stick to it. Being taller than the bird, the bird will stepup more readily, and listen. It has worked for all my birds. Sophie is our flock leader, I am the mom, or final leader. When birds were taller than me when learning, they tended to " give me a bite", more if they were taller than me. When Kiki was molting.... she ran across two cages to bite me. I was lower than her, but she knows me and my rules. I waited for her bite.... she skidded to a halt.... didn't bite.( more from my rules and expectaions!)

I have learned, birds need to be on your wrist, until they earn shoulder status.. I never let any of my birds be taller than me. It worked for us. Remember, I also was working on birds and dogs to love and respect each other. My dogs learned to love birds sooo much, Ollie saved Kiki's life, when she tipped over the gate and was trapped. He let me know the moment I walked in the door, she was in trouble. Kiki loves Ollie, and flies into family room, leaves him a peanut. I wish all members could have the love and affection my birds and dogs have. It truly is priceless! Nancy

When birds. have a home that door is never closed, they also need to learn boundaries. Most free birds will go to the highest spot... and stick to it. Being taller than the bird, the bird will stepup more readily, and listen. It has worked for all my birds. Sophie is our flock leader, I am the mom, or final leader. When birds were taller than me when learning, they tended to " give me a bite", more if they were taller than me. When Kiki was molting.... she ran across two cages to bite me. I was lower than her, but she knows me and my rules. I waited for her bite.... she skidded to a halt.... didn't bite.( more from my rules and expectaions!)

I have learned, birds need to be on your wrist, until they earn shoulder status.. I never let any of my birds be taller than me. It worked for us. Remember, I also was working on birds and dogs to love and respect each other. My dogs learned to love birds sooo much, Ollie saved Kiki's life, when she tipped over the gate and was trapped. He let me know the moment I walked in the door, she was in trouble. Kiki loves Ollie, and flies into family room, leaves him a peanut. I wish all members could have the love and affection my birds and dogs have. It truly is priceless! Nancy

Thank you, yes this is true in many cases........Jayd

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jocelyn

Yesterday Romeo started the I am NOT going back to his cage routine. As of the past two days he has really come out of his shell. He loves running around on the floor hopping up on us and even allowed some head sxritches these are all huge for him the funny bit is he started all of it at once

Yesterday he also decided even for treats he wasn't going back. And because he had just started really binding we didn't want to make him. So for about an hour we tried everything gave up then tries again ans he eventually stepped up and went in.

So today I asked begged and was told no! After all he got an extra hour yesterday saying no. It took me getting a chair and standing on it to get him in. He stepped up then climbed right back out of his cage then I got smart and losses it right behind

him. He then simply walked in and grabbed his treat. Goof.

Since we got the amazon, it has been no problem putting our grey, Brutus, to bed. He used to be difficult, but since he has seen Pancho, the amazon, go to bed easily, Brutus is easy. In fact, now he actually tells me it is time, "Wanna go to bed." I am not sure how to fix your problem, except that CLB said it nicely, do "step-ups" at different times than bedtime. I think that will get him used to stepping up and then put him in his cage, too, at that time. Try to make it a pattern and an automatic response.

Also, you can widen your bird's circle of loved ones. Even though i am Brutus' "favorite" my husband can handle him, carry him, take him to his office, etc. I think it is in your bird's best interest to give him more people to love on him, rather than just one. It is nice being "the chosen one" but it does limit any affection your bird receives to ONLY you. It doesn't have to be that way. It is kind of a relief to me, at times, that not all of that responsibility is mine, that other people can contribute to my grey's human experience. I think the more people you can get your grey comfortable with the better. Certainly, they won't be on the same terms as you, the favorite, but any positive human interaction is a definite plus for your bird.