NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Success with the Alphabet?

BeeFernandez22

Just curious if anyone has had any success in their fid learning the alphabet? I have started doing Alphabet flash cards with Maverick. It was more an interaction thing, as he does not really play with toys and he enjoys looking at the pictures and bright colors on the cards. (I am running out of ideas on how to keep him occupied.. a whole separate problem!!!) I just didn't know whether to reasonably expect that he will ever learn them or not :)

Maverick is still young. He will play with toys in time! :)

I have flashcards on my iPad (they are actually made for autistic children). It's not the alphabet, but pictures of animals. There's a voice that says "This is an octopus, this is a toucan." Mostly the birds just shout "Whooo! Woooooowwwwwww!" And Sondhi likes to push the screen to make the cards flip. I got the idea from watching stuff like this:

Just curious if anyone has had any success in their fid learning the alphabet? I have started doing Alphabet flash cards with Maverick. It was more an interaction thing, as he does not really play with toys and he enjoys looking at the pictures and bright colors on the cards. (I am running out of ideas on how to keep him occupied.. a whole separate problem!!!) I just didn't know whether to reasonably expect that he will ever learn them or not :)

Doing what you're talking about is usually done by profesionals. The bird called Alex did the alphabet thing, shape, colors and numbers but he wasn't the only bird doing that. He was trained over many years. There's other birds who are right now being similarly trained but it takes years and the person is usually a professional. Alex was simply the one that got all the publicity.

If he's not into playing with standard store bought toys, try giving the grey things that will interest him--example, hard and soft pieces of wood hung in or out of the cage. Greys don't have to play with things to be happy. They just need a chance to do what they're known to do and greys have a great fondness for wood.

A bird can also be interested in other things that have a name but the bird won't make a connection. If your bird is very young, there's a world of interests out there just waiting to be discovered by your bird. People will often say that their bird ignored this or that item( bird toy) but instead decided to destroy the rim of the flower pot with heavy intensity. Understand what I'm saying?

Oh yes, I know all about Alex :) Such a brilliant bird he was! I never knew about the alphabet but I knew he did shapes and colors and such. I just worry Mav will start developing bad habits out of boredom. I am having trouble getting him to play on his basket or stand because he always wants to be on me and chewing my hair haha. Though I like that he wants to be near me, it's not always feasible to have a parrot sitting on your head and I would rather he be able to be out and playing rather than in his cage at those times. His flying to me is also a hazard to his health simply because he's so quick and I don't always get to him in time to prevent a crash landing. The poor guy only has 3 tail feathers right now from learning to fly in the beginning.

Maverick is still young. He will play with toys in time! :)

I have flashcards on my iPad (they are actually made for autistic children). It's not the alphabet, but pictures of animals. There's a voice that says "This is an octopus, this is a toucan." Mostly the birds just shout "Whooo! Woooooowwwwwww!" And Sondhi likes to push the screen to make the cards flip. I got the idea from watching stuff like this:

I'll check out this video! What app are you using?

Wanting to be with you, is not a bad thing. May be annoying, but go with it! A very important time to learn.Accept this opportunity to bond. If you ignore it... the opportunity, won't be offered again.

Fast forward a decade later. Sophie is my best friend. Well behaved, eats well, etc. She is my best friend! I always support her, she supports me. I won't elaborate about our relationship, since you all nee3d to develop it on your own. I can only say... " listen to your bird." Nancy

Wanting to be with you, is not a bad thing. May be annoying, but go with it! A very important time to learn.Accept this opportunity to bond. If you ignore it... the opportunity, won't be offered again.

Fast forward a decade later. Sophie is my best friend. Well behaved, eats well, etc. She is my best friend! I always support her, she supports me. I won't elaborate about our relationship, since you all nee3d to develop it on your own. I can only say... " listen to your bird." Nancy

Oh I absolutely welcome it, there are just times when I need him to stay on his perch or playstand or I have to put him in the cage which I like to avoid at all costs when I am home. When I am cooking, for example, it is not safe for him to physically be on me,

When you are cooking, or need to do something else, it is important to put your baby in the cage, and close the door. Of coarse, explain you have to do " .....". I'll be back when I am done. Of coarse, follow thru. Sophie appreciates my explanation, whether she understands it or not.... she say;s " Ahhhhh!" She knows I'll be back so she focuses on that. Nancy