NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What to do about possible broken feather

monax

We took Toby to the vet today to get his nails trimmed. While in the process of toweling him, we think that a feather might have been broken. There is a long feather now sticking out of his wing where it shouldn't be (we only noticed this after we got home). He seems relaxed standing on one foot on his perch, and his appetite seems fine. But, anytime we come anywhere near his wing, he goes nuts, which is unusual for him - so it must be sensitive, if not painful.

Is this something that requires vet attention? Or should we wait it out to see what happens and see if it falls out on its own? It doesn't appear to be a blood feather, but is clearly causing him discomfort. Anything we can do for him at home? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Don't go crazy focusing on it. Let Toby take care of it. I remember one time I went crazy waiting for Sophie to pull out a feather that needed to go! She started to limp when walking. Ryan, rolled his eyes... grabbed the feather, told her to get rid of it, which she did, and she was fine. Sophie can be quite the actress when she wants to be. I'm lucky kids recognized her behavior! Nancy

When Sophie had a feather that was driving me crazy, she KNEW it bothered me and I was worried. She IS an actress, acted like she was dying. Luckily, Ryan also is her best friend. He knew she was being ridiculous, told her to get rid of that feather. She did. He handed it to her in her claw.She took it out. Sophie will do anything for Ryan. He is a bird whisperer. Nancy

well lil miss marco took care of exactly 1 red tail feather ... I tried not to freak out when i saw it in her lil foot after she had gnawed it out but she hasnt done that to ANYthing else just that 1 lone feather ... so I didnt know if it was giving her grief and that was like 2 weeks ago and nothing since ...