NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ivan Stick Training

braveheartdogs

So, I have decided that I REALLY have to work on Ivan's stick training. I started a while back, but halfheartedly, partly because I know he really hated the stick, a long perch. I ended up buying a long, rope Booda perch, bent it, not quite in half, so the two ends make a handle (which I duct taped) and the other end where it bends makes an oval kind of. He was out of his cage today and I worked on it with him some. Just holding it up, waiting a moment, then moving it away, etc. Right now he is in his cage and I did a few reps of lifting the perch in my hand and when he looked at it and didn't move away, giving a treat. I did that a few times. Then, I held it closer so he could reach it and he very gently opened his beak on it, for which I marked it and gave him a very high value treat! So excited!

Proud of you all! Figure out what works for your birds. What does NOT work.... is waiting for your bird to let you know... " I want to practice stepup!" They never will. Training.... begins the day your bird enters your home. We are patient for many things, that require trust. The trust is earned. It takes time, but that doesn't mean you stop showing your bird what your expectations are.This is part of the development of trust. As well... listen to your bird. They will tell you, what YOU need to do, to earn their trust.

I followed Sophie's lead. I soon learned, her pupils would dialate and constrict, for two reasons. One.... to warn me to back off, the other reason, " I want to learn!" I just had to understand which she was trying to tell me.

Another thing I learned listening to Sophie, we as parents, tend to make things very complicated. Their needs are actually very simple. We, create the stress. If Sophie was freaking out about something when she was younger, I would think the worst. When I finally figured out what was annoying her, ( she didn't like where her 3rd water bowl was placed)... I fixed it, she was happy! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? She would look at me... " I TOLD you, I wasn't happy!" LOL! Sophie no longer freaks me out, when she isn't happy! Nancy

Oh, I am so glad! I have a swing just like that and that is actually the only thing Ivan has ever successfully stepped up onto. Still, I wanted to make one that had a very definite handle so I could easily hold it from different angles. I am thinking that he is now ready to start really working on stepping onto something, I just had to play with what that would be. I am just not willing to pressure him and force him with something that makes him uncomfortable, so I think that my "creation" will work great! I can't wait to hear how your training goes.

That's great! You've inspired me to start working again with Sondheim on his step up. :)

With Burt, I use something similar. It's a rope swing toy...like the one in the photo below.

Edited by braveheartdogs