NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I got a punkin!

aerial.2000

Well :D this is my pumpkin color

I bought Marco a pumpkin yesterday at the store <grins all big> Has anyone else ever done the pumpkin thing with their grey?

I thought Id take it and her outside and lay it on some newspaper and cut the top of it off and see what she thinks of that. Course I will have washed it before I start.

Do I treat it like a sweet potato? Bake it til its soft? Is it ok for her to just sit and nibble on skin and all fresh and raw? Can I freeze part of it?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We LOVE Halloween!! One of the best parts is the giant jack-o-lanterns! I wash pumpkins as best I can w/water & a veggie brush. Then soak them w/vinegar, leave them drip for a few minutes, then scrub them w/a scrunge & rinse again. Then I let the birds loose to help!

I just pile up the guts & pieces while I work & let them go crazy. Great, great fun! Great big mess! But I made a pretty good mess carving pumpkins before they ever showed up. So I can't exactly blame it all on them. :o

When we're done, I wash the left over pumpkin seeds, dry & refrigerate a couple of days worth to feed fresh. The rest get baked & put into air tight containers. Sometimes I mix them into things. Sometimes I feed them alone; plain or sprinkled w/something. My guys like them sprinkled w/cayenne pepper the best.

And then lol I wash & chop some of the left over wall & put it up in small containers to freeze for them for whenever.

:cool: Yep, we think pumpkins are pret-ty cool around here. :cool:

I've actually never bothered to cook it. I almost always feed veggies & fruits raw. But since I've been reading about the benefits of steaming carrots, etc, I've been meaning to see about pumpkin.

I also forgot to mention I like to try to time it so I can put up a batch of mash that weekend, too. Pumpkin's one of the things that they don't get all the time, like asparagus which I can only afford in the spring. I get the best part. They only get the butt ends. But it all helps to keep them from getting bored of the same old same old.

Good idea! I'll have to see if Timber likes it. He will at least try it since he will probably think it is sweet potato ;) He likes asparagus too. Did I read on here somewhere that asparagus isn't good for them though? I was thinking I was giving it to him pretty regularly then read it wasn't great for them. If that isn't right, I'd like to know, because his likes in vegetables are pretty limited.

Asparagus contains asparagine amino acid which is a diuretic & can cause watery poops from excessive urination.

And yes, that was a bad example because it's one of the many foods on the debatable list w/things like Aloe Vera & I should add a disclaimer. My bad!! I'm sorry it didn't occur to me before you said something.

Like I said, they don't get it too often. But they do get it kind of frequently for short intervals or a very little every day in the spring mash.

They've never had any problem, even after the internet told me there might be one. And there are good things to feeding it. Sooo, I continue to give it to them & just watch to make sure nothing changes.

I didn't notice any changes when I was giving it to him. I'll add it back in to chop-type things I make him. I doubt that it would matter in those quantities since he didn't have a reaction when he was eating more of it! Like you, I certainly don't do it year round because of cost/availability.

Asparagus contains asparagine amino acid which is a diuretic & can cause watery poops from excessive urination.

And yes, that was a bad example because it's one of the many foods on the debatable list w/things like Aloe Vera & I should add a disclaimer. My bad!! I'm sorry it didn't occur to me before you said something.

Like I said, they don't get it too often. But they do get it kind of frequently for short intervals or a very little every day in the spring mash.

They've never had any problem, even after the internet told me there might be one. And there are good things to feeding it. Sooo, I continue to give it to them & just watch to make sure nothing changes.

What does Aloe Vera have to do with this thread? You're letting your bird drink it? That's not good. It isn't meant to be indigested.

What does Aloe Vera have to do with this thread? You're letting your bird drink it? That's not good. It isn't meant to be indigested.

I did a google search and it appears that many people do. I am in no position to say if they should or should not only that people do.

I did a google search and it appears that many people do. I am in no position to say if they should or should not only that people do.

A google wasn't really necessay but it's one of the most common items that many people with digestive problems drink. It's found in pharmacies , large supermarkets. It's been used for years. No script is needed although gastroenterologists recommend that some patients may get help from it.

Before, I was referring to aloe being given to birds, not people. Giving it to birds isn't a good idea and make them sick.

People obviously debate whether or not parrots should be fed fresh aloe slices. It has the same amino acid, I believe as well as salicylic acid (original anti inflammatory base in aspirin) & such that can apparently upset a parrot's tummy. It's not all that rare to find it on a toxic plant list. But a number of owners feed it regularly w/o bad side affects & feel it's actually good for fids ... just like asparagus which was originally the point.

http://www.landofvos.com/articles/wingtips/aloe.html

This is an article by Carolyn Swicegood. Not that she's infallible either. But some people think she knows some stuff. For anyone who doesn't want to read the whole thing, skip to the bottom for the part about fresh feeding.

People obviously debate whether or not parrots should be fed fresh aloe slices. It has the same amino acid, I believe as well as salicylic acid (original anti inflammatory base in aspirin) & such that can apparently upset a parrot's tummy. It's not all that rare to find it on a toxic plant list. But a number of owners feed it regularly w/o bad side affects & feel it's actually good for fids ... just like asparagus which was originally the point.

http://www.landofvos.com/articles/wingtips/aloe.html

This is an article by Carolyn Swicegood. Not that she's infallible either. But some people think she knows some stuff. For anyone who doesn't want to read the whole thing, skip to the bottom for the part about fresh feeding.

Please remember, landofvos is a holistic site.

and Dave truly is a expert on Aloe Vera....This is fact not opinion...

To really know what is 99% safe or unsafe is to visit a known and reputable site that is and has been well established, not a holistic or "I Think" type of site. When they add a item that has been established as safe, go for it, why temp fate just to use something some else doesn't use.

Edited by Jayd

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?196901-ALOE...consumption&p=268214#post268214

This is what I was thinking, but I'm much too lazy to do the long version again. lol

aerial.2000, I'm so sorry I ever accidentally chose to mention asparagus & got all this stirred up on your punkin thread!!

Edited by birdhouse

I'd like to say something and use Birdhouse's reply as an example; this is NOT against Birdhouse or anyone else, please. I've noticed that many people make a similar statement to what has been stated above. This is very upsetting to me...To any statement such as I've been giving it to them for a while...what is awhile? A week, month, ten years, 20 years? There's very few parrots that have been on the forum for a long enough time to make an accurate decision about a lot of things..what will happen in time even to a parrot who has been fed good food? Remember, the study of many things related to our parrots are far and few between. So, this statement, "I've been doing it a (blank) amount of time" is not indicative of what could happen. To my other point, "I will continue to watch and see what happens", I would like to give a couple of examples: In another thread, Talon made a reference to an owner who had been told it was okay to feed the parrot garlic and the parrot died. To a personal experience that I had, (this is only an comparative example because parrots don't build model airplanes), It was not too long ago found out that the human system has a tolerance level for epoxy cement which was totally unheard of with model builders and varies from person to person. This would relate to a food item or chemical to a bird's system. A close friend of mine, who had been an avid model builder had been building models using epoxy and had a reaction to epoxy which hospitalized him in very serious condition. The doctor said he had reached his tolerance level. I had been building models and using epoxy but had with no ill effect (that I know of). This analogy holds true for parrots as well as other animals. We don't know whether or when the items we feed our birds today might reach a tolerance limit in their systems that will harm or kill them. In regards to "watching our parrots to make sure nothing changes", do we do this until they become ill or heaven forbid even die, Instead of just refraining from giving them something that is known to possibly cause problems? There are so many good food items available to us that we don't have to feed our parrots apple seeds or spaghetti sauce just because and I don't want to spend my time watching and waiting for reactions to something I gave my parrot. SOOO, on with the pumpkins and tis the season, is almost here...Thanks, Jayd

Pumpkins are fabulous enrichment for parrots. I used to give large ones to the macaws (check out the miligold, Big Sam that used to live at my house) and they will rip them to shreads in minutes. They greys got the smaller ones and rolled them around for a day or two before getting the idea. You can also cut holes in the sides, stuff the pumpkin with toys, food and other goodies and impale them on kebobs.

Fall has great fruits and veggies for parrots!

Edit: Here's a great idea for Pumpkin/Parrot Enrichment: http://www.parrotenrichment.com/images/PumpkinForagingToys.pdf

Sam in the Aviary.jpg

Edited by Sarasota

Pumpkins are fabulous enrichment for parrots. I used to give large ones to the macaws (check out the miligold, Big Sam that used to live at my house) and they will rip them to shreads in minutes. They greys got the smaller ones and rolled them around for a day or two before getting the idea. You can also cut holes in the sides, stuff the pumpkin with toys, food and other goodies and impale them on kebobs.

Fall has great fruits and veggies for parrots!

Pretty bird...and I LOVE autumn! Looking forward to sharing the fall bounty with my birds too. :)

. We don't know whether or when the items we feed our birds today might reach a tolerance limit in their systems that will harm or kill them. In regards to "watching our parrots to make sure nothing changes", do we do this until they become ill or heaven forbid even die, Instead of just refraining from giving them something that is known to possibly cause problems? There are so many good food items available to us that we don't have to feed our parrots apple seeds or spaghetti sauce just because and I don't want to spend my time watching and waiting for reactions to something I gave my parrot. [/b]Thanks, Jayd

I totally agree. Sometimes I'm amazed concerning all the different crazy things that people think up to feed parrots that are definitely wild and definitely scavengers.

If no one ever tested the boundaries, domestic parrots would routinely have their wings clipped, live in 2 ft by 2 ft cages, & fed sunflower seeds & peanuts. They might even get the occasional time chained on a stand in the hall, just as a treat.

Wonder if some old pirate saw a fid munching on a chicken bone, having supper w/his captain & thought, "Are you nuts?!! Who does that?!!!" But a few hundred years later, here we are.

I'm old enough to have lived life "for a little while" before the internet. And it's my God given right to leave it at that. If, as in the case of feeding asparagus, I don't specify anything more, let's agree that it's something I've been doing for the past 20 yrs(ish :) ) because I really can't remember anymore.

If it were a new thing, I would establish a bit more specific time frame. Like feeding aloe for the past "few years". So more than 3, less than 23. Sorry for any confusion. Not feeling singled out or anything. Just hoping to clarify things for future reference.

And for the record, it doesn't matter what anyone is feeding a fid. Things happen. Nothing can make that any clearer than the most recent round of recalls.

Parronts should always be watchful for any changes. And that's not a statement I can be made to justify. Ever.

Edited by birdhouse

Thank God for opinions, note: you wrote, "If no one ever tested the boundaries, domestic parrots would routinely have their wings clipped," Please note, parrots will not be domesticated for at least 200,000 more years. On a side note, You can make Smash out of pumpkin, remember nutmeg is bad for our parrots, cinnamon is greyt....