NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Down shredding

saskabush40

My CAG is 9 years old. I had issues with him feather chewing due to seperation anxiety but he is recovered almost fully. However, he does something i cant understand. When he goes to bed instead of grinding his beak he flinches his wings against his body and reaches around pulling out pieces of down and an occaisional small feather. Most of these are from his back or front. This only occurs as he is going down and a bit during the night.

I have tried covering most of his cage,camoumille tea before bed, ati pluck spray, holding him before sleep, etc. He seems healthy otherwise. This down must be vacuumed every morning as it drifts all over.

He seems to do this more if there is sounds from the TV but even does it in a quiet environment. The air in the house is about 40 to 65 percent and this occurs the same inhumid conditions. He does bathe every few days.

I was hoping there might be some experience here with this. Iam worried that this is continuing for about 8 months now.

Thanks

It sounds like a displacement/comfort behavior of some kind. Are they any patches of missing feathers/baldness in the areas he is plucking? If not, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sometimes our "over attention" to something can make the problem escalate. My suggestion is just to leave it alone for awhile, proceed as normal and see how it progresses.

No there r no bald patches. Yes he does not seem comfortable falling to sleep but he is happy during the day.

Good news! He doesn't sound like "active plucking." I would let it go for now. It may only be a comfort behavior - like humans brushing teeth or plumping a pillow at night. We all have our rituals, birds are the same. I have a CAG that climbs to the top of his cage, hangs upside down for about a minute before going to his sleep perch. Every night. Just seems to be his routine (I always watch for it, and then I know it's safe to turn out the lights).

I believe Sarasota, has an excellent suggestion. I was watching Sophie the other day. Can't say, I have ever watched her closely when she preens her feathers, but I took the time to watch. It amazed me, how she could grab one of her red feathers in one claw, seperate it from the rest. She did this to each and every red feather, cleaned her down. It is a serious process, takes alot of work. Just thought I would share my respect for the amount of work it takes to groom oneself. Nancy

This is quite an abrubt twitch and he does maybe 10 or 15 per min and this may last for a coupleof hours. I was reading in another forum someone else had the same problem and they traced it to an over supply of vitamins. This could be an issue because i have been giving him water and food supliment now for about 4 months to get his feathers back. He has a good diet, so i will back off on this and see what happens.

Any thoughts on this aspect appreciated...

I was reading in another forum someone else had the same problem and they traced it to an over supply of vitamins.

The only way you can know this for sure is to have your vet do a complete blood panel.

If you bird is getting a good diet of pellets, vegetables, fruits, grains, etc. there is no need for a vitamin supplement. In fact, they can do more harm than good. Try stopping the supplement and see what happens over the next few weeks. If the behavior is that significant, I would take the bird to the vet for a panel.

He's off the vitamins as of today. Il monitor an update as to how he does. I think i maybe overdid it with the suppliments. I had drops, water suppliment and powder suppliment on his food. When i think of this issues first coming out it was about 3 months after the water suppliment. Now with all of them this issue has become much more apparant.

He's off the vitamins as of today. Il monitor an update as to how he does. I think i maybe overdid it with the suppliments. I had drops, water suppliment and powder suppliment on his food. When i think of this issues first coming out it was about 3 months after the water suppliment. Now with all of them this issue has become much more apparant.

Yikes! That does sound like a lot. If you are ever concerned - please immediately call/see your vet. You'll get a lot of good advice on the boards - sometimes, competing advice and that can be very confusing - but there's no subsitute for a vet examination.

Good luck! Keep everyone posted on the progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing that! I don't give a vitamin supplement per the posts on this forum. I have to say that had I not read it here, I would have. I've always taken a lot of supplements myself and made sure the rest of the family gets them. My first instinct was to get something for Timber too. I'm glad I didn't.

Under no circumstances, without an avian vet's recommendation, should you feed or give your parrot any kind of supplement. If your parrot is receiving a fairly basic balanced diet as simple as seeds, pellets, and a few veggies thrown in for good measure, sunlight and proper rest, no supplement is necessary. One of the main vitamins to be concerned with is Vitamin A. Too much A is harmful to our parrots, especially if you feed your parrots Red Palm Oil. If you do feed your parrot Red Palm Oil, cut down some on other foods with a high concentration of A. You also have to watch out for certain food and veggies that will bind vitamins and minerals out of other foods, not allowing the system to absorb needed vitamins. As humans, we like to experiment...we always think it is greener on the other side of the hill. To this end, we create elaborate diets of known and possibly unknown safe ingredients so our parrots have more "Variety" in taste. Parrots do not have our sins. They can be content with the same old, same old bland diet on a daily basis. This is why we need to provide them with what they need, not what sounds good to us. Thanks, Jayd

Edited by Jayd
dictation error senior moment

I'm glad you said that about them being happy with the same thing. I'm always trying to find something new to feed Timber. Now that his weight is up, I need to cease and desist. He's eating pretty well now, so I will just be satisfied :)

Thank you! That's fantastic if he is eating well and putting on weight. Your baby and others will at times, lose interest in what they are eating. So...it doesn't hurt to introduce a kale, dandelion green, carrot or beet top, etc. every once in a while to increase their likes/dislikes repertoire. Some people are not inclined or just don't have the time to prepare mashes, smashes, glops, goops etc. We always like to start with a basic diet and go from there...as humans, (not everybody) our likes and dislikes often change as time goes by. Sometimes we as humans, start things that we wish we never started and that only comes with wisdom and time. How we feed our birds today may not be the way we want to feed them or take the time to prepare in the future. This is not a lack of love or caring and if you are old like we are and have a young parrot, the inevitable will happen. You will have to eventually pass your companion to someone else in time. We would rather pass on a short list of what satisfies our parrots than an elaborate recipe that they have become accustomed to and expect. So to summarize, the best thing to feed your parrot is what you feel is right...and is right for you....Thanks, Jayd

Edited by Jayd

I doubt I will ever stop experimenting, but I need to get past my anxiety. I think he has a solid diet (at least what the picky boy will eat). I do alternate his veggies weekly so he doesn't get totally burned out. That's a good point about others caring for him eventually though. I have to admit he is one spoiled baby!

I doubt I will ever stop experimenting, but I need to get past my anxiety. I think he has a solid diet (at least what the picky boy will eat). I do alternate his veggies weekly so he doesn't get totally burned out. That's a good point about others caring for him eventually though. I have to admit he is one spoiled baby!

Your doing a wonderful with your baby, sit back and enjoy......................To Experiment is to learn.....................................

Your doing a wonderful job with your baby. I should clarify my experimenting statement: Never stop experimenting, just do it with reason and for a reason, to experiment is to learn.

And when you do experiment, pass what you've learned on to us please.... Thanks Jay