NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Freaking out.. help (My new grey is acting crazy)

GreenT

OK. I feel crazy writing this so soon, but this is my second day with our Grey and she appears to be acting crazy.

We have this one big cage and there was a drawer you were supposed to have inserted at the bottom. We didn't have the drawer in place and so she started sticking her head through the gap and trying to get out. We inserted the drawer in now so she can't do that any more, and it appears that she won't give up trying to get out the same way she was trying before.. she now claws at the corners of the cage floor / wall and keeps pushing her head against the corner where wall meets floor in an attempt to get out. She is fine when she is out of the cage.. sits on the top all quiet and nice but this is making me a nervous wreck as she won't stop. It is almost like she is acting "crazy".

What should I do? Just hope she stops after realizing after thousands of attempts that she won't be able to get out? She is young so could this just be an imature trait showing? She is 6 months.

HELP!!

Hi, GreenT!

My bird (Klaus) acts as if he is trying to get out of his cage quite a bit. He is 7 months old and has been with us for 3 months. His "I want out!" routine pretty much consists of hanging on to the front door of the cage with his beak while scratching on the floor with his feet.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make him stop (except of course, to let him out!). He does give up after a time. I'm not sure, but I think once they really get the hang of the household routine, they kind of know when they should expect to be out.

Hi Laurie,

Thanks for the reply. The thing that concerns me most is that the sides of her face were getting pink from doing it.. She has been on top now for awhile and mellow as can be though. The areas around her eyes and sides of beak are turning a bit less pink now. But concerned. She also has been "flying" off the top and flopping to the floor today a bit (about 5 times today).

I have to take her in tomorrow to be weighed at the store so will ask their opinions too.

Wish me luck.. going to try to put her in cage for the night.

Is this a new cage for her? Was she caged before? Perhaps this is a bigger cage or smaller cage than she is used to? When I first got Jiggy she would poke her head through the bars at the top of her cage. Used to worry me to death that she would hang herself but she eventually stopped. Her head barely fit! Perhaps some cammomile tea at bedtime for her;) (and you!)

You say that she is "flying" off the top of the cage and falling. Are her wings clipped, or is she just not very skilled at flying yet? Do you mean from the top on the outside or the inside? I would be worried that she will hurt herself. Is there anything you can do to cushion her landing until she gets the hang of it?

I can appreciate your frustration at her constantly trying to get out. My girl used to try to open the doorway. Once, and once only she managed to open it. Nearly scared me to death when I saw her waddle across the floor as I have 2 dogs. She has also scratched her face with exertion. She did begin to realise that she was able to get out only with my help, so her attempts to get out became calls to me instead.

Nowadays she doesnt even try that. She knows I will let her out at certain times of the day and nothing she does will change that.

Honestly she will get used to it. Its all so new for her, new house, new people etc. Give her some time. Good luck and congratulations on your new arrival.

When Makena wants out he crawls all over the cage, scratches at the door and actually lays on the bottom upside down. At first I would run over and immediately let him out as it looked liked he was hurting himself. Then I realized he is just playing helpless for attention.

We recently started the alternate approach and are now ignoring him when he does that. He hasn't been doing it nearly as often. Instead he just sits there patiently and waits for us to open the door. I guess you have to stop and ask who is training who :P :P!!! Don't worry your bird isn't crazy... he is just a greyB)!

Ignore it. By running over there and making a fuss you will reinforce bad unwanted behavior. You may try quietly reaching in and and picking her up then placing her on her perch and walk away. The tray is there to catch the poop. Most cages have two grooves, one high and one low. My male will do that same thing if I put it into the low one, so with him I have to put it in the high one right below the grill that he stands on.

Many birds do what your bird did. Your bird may be adjusting to a new cage. Reward good behavior right away, and ignore bad. Paying attention is a reward, to a grey.

Herbie does exactly the same thing, I posted something here a while ago as I was worried about his face turning pink. He is 4 months old now and is starting to do it less, but sometimes (like last night) will do it for ages. I have found the best way to deal with it is ignore it and close the door to the bird room, I think he thinks we have then gone out and stops trying to get our attention. We are trying to ignore all bad behaviour and really laying it on thick with praise when he is good.

Thanks Dicky601. I read some of your posts and back and forths about the the same thing. I'm not sure if this version is a nesting instinct issue or if it is her remebering the time when she could get her head out (before we adjusted the tray so it was the higher drop pan that prevents the gap) and she is trying desperately for a repeat experience. BUT, it does sound like others have had similar issues.

She is starting to vocalize more.. sort of a loud "sqwak/cluck" every once in awhile.

I want to get her to be used to be in the cage though while we are around and not assume we are always going to have her out when we are about.

Does Herbie grab on to your finger or back away when you reach to have her perch on your hand?

Part of me wonders if the bird we got is the neurotic of the bunch from the store (she was the last to be sold of 3 and took some time to be bought I noticed). Right now she is starting the head pushing again. I just put a towel in to see if that helps. Now that I'm seeing it I definitely think it is related to her just wanting OUT and nothing to do with nesting instinct. She stops when I go up to the cage and comes to the door.

Hi GreenT,

Most if not all Greys scratch on the floor, cage bottom etc. It does sound like yours is a little more aggressive at doing so, but probably due to first being able to gain some outside access before you rearranged the slide in bottom and secondly, maybe wanting attention, new cage terror or simply out of the cage.

Everyone has posted great advice and stories of their Greys exhibiting the same behaviour, so no you didn't get the "Neurotic" one of the bunch :-)

When she/he tries to fly down to the floor, is it at a 45 degree angle soft landing or a hard, straight down crash to the floor? It could be the Wings were clipped to severely, in which case would mean you need to place some softening down such as blanket etc. to soften the fall.

As you mentioned, you may want to just leave her in the cage for hours at a time, so she understands that is where she will be spending several hours a day when you are gone to work etc.

Just make sure she has plenty of toys she likes to play with, to keep her entertained. :-)

Thanks DanMcQ,

So far, the addition of some towels at the bottom of her cage have "sidetracked" her from the digging a bit as they appear to interest her for some reason. She likes standing on them (though she does it as I type here I just noticed.. :dry: ).

Yes, she is flying at 45 degree angle so I think she will be OK.. plus no flight as of this morning. :).

Now if I can get her to eat more and not back away when I try to get her to perch on my hand we will be doing good.

Placing the Towels in the bottom is a good thing to do.

We do the same for our Grey Dayo. They cover one side of the cage bottom and He likes walking around on them much better than the cage bottom cage due to the extra support, softness and Talons not falling clumsily through the bars. :-) We actually place his food bowls on the towels also and that way he is stable and comfortable while eating. You'll go through a lot more wash loads with all the towels you will use in keeping them changed out everyday, but it's worth it, at least to us.

Eating more will come as you experiment with different veggies, fruits and perhaps brands of pellets or seed mixes to see what she/he goes bonkers over. :-)

The backing away will disappear in time as she gains trust and love for you.

Herbie does step onto our hand when we put it in the cage, he is very keen to come out. I think you are doing the right thing by leaving her in her cage sometimes when you are in. It is difficult to ignore the scratching but I think worth it in the long run. Herbie seems to be starting to understand that whilst we like him to spend lots of time out of his cage with us, it is important for him to speand time in his cage whilst we are at home. I also think it helps the parrots realise who is boss (not them!!).

danmcq wrote:

Placing the Towels in the bottom is a good thing to do.

We do the same for our Grey Dayo. They cover one side of the cage bottom and He likes walking around on them much better than the cage bottom cage due to the extra support, softness and Talons not falling clumsily through the bars. :-) We actually place his food bowls on the towels also and that way he is stable and comfortable while eating. You'll go through a lot more wash loads with all the towels you will use in keeping them changed out everyday, but it's worth it, at least to us.

We keep towels across the entire bottom of ponti's cage, because she has one bum foot, and it makes her way more likely to fall from her perches than most other birds. She is getting a lot more adept (it's been over a year since she broke her leg) at getting around but still falls often.

This also goes for the lesson about being careful for your grey if it can't fly properly. Ponti was atop her cage when we first got her, and, without thinking, somebody carried a large box in from outside, which totally freaked her out, making her "fly" off her cage, except her wings were trimmed...she landed on the corner of our fireplace bricks and broke her leg.

What about placing newspaper on the bottom of the cage(not for Ponti but GreenT)? Seems like it would be alot easier to replace those instead of washing towels. Unless, its just that your concerned about her falling, but I didn't get the impression. More of a distraction. I also have a box in Finni's cage, he is still young, and my vet told me that they often feel insecure not having a place to go into and "hide". I place a piece of newspaper inside the box (like a shoe box, standing on its side so the top and sides are covered but one side is open toward the cage) that extends beyond it, and place his foots toys there. Anyway, the box might make her feel a bit more secure and the newspaper something to scratch at rather than the hard bars on her face and if she has a few foot toys there, they might distract her as well and becasue she is young she doesn't have to perch to play with something. Just some thoughts, I'm not expert but, in my limited experience,greys seem to me to require a "free thinking" "step ahead" kind of parent. ;)

What about placing newspaper on the bottom of the cage(not for Ponti but GreenT)? Seems like it would be alot easier to replace those instead of washing towels. Unless, its just that your concerned about her falling, but I didn't get the impression. More of a distraction. I also have a box in Finni's cage, he is still young, and my vet told me that they often feel insecure not having a place to go into and "hide". I place a piece of newspaper inside the box (like a shoe box, standing on its side so the top and sides are covered but one side is open toward the cage) that extends beyond it, and place his foots toys there. Anyway, the box might make her feel a bit more secure and the newspaper something to scratch at rather than the hard bars on her face and if she has a few foot toys there, they might distract her as well and becasue she is young she doesn't have to perch to play with something. Just some thoughts, I'm not expert but, in my limited experience,greys seem to me to require a "free thinking" "step ahead" kind of parent. ;)

Luna does that exact routine. We call her "running bull" because she bows her head and tries to "run" through the bars. LOL we think it's funny. But shes always done it, she just wants to be out with you. make sure you listen to the others and don't run to her rescue. Otherwise she will do it constantly to get the attention she desires.

danmcq wrote:

Matt - When Ponti broke his leg, how did the vet treat it and how long will it be until his leg is back to normal?

Well, we were new grey owners and didn't know the rules yet (like rule #1: Find and get familiar with a good avian vet in your area that you can trust!) so we took her to the local animal hospital, and the vet x-rayed her and splinted it as best he could. She had to stay in her night-time cage (a little travel cage) for about 8 weeks, if I remember. He had to re-do the splint at one point, because ponti decided that standing in her water dish with her bad leg felt good.

Later when we found a competent avian vet, he X-rayed her leg (about 6 months after the accident) and it showed how the bone healed wrong. instead of being straight, it's about a 10 degree angle with a big knot at the junction. So her leg will never be back to the way it was. He said the proper way to fix it would have been to use pins, but since it had already healed such as it was, he did NOT want to re-break it, which is the only way it could now be fixed properly. Re-breaking could a) cause nerve damage b) could cause the bone to shatter and become irreparable, and a few other things that just were not worth the risk. But given the angle the bone is at, I have this sick feeling that all it will take is one more time of her landing wrong to break it again.

Compound that with the fact that one of her back toes just goes every which way, it's all floppy. Broke I guess? the avian vet said there wasn't anything he could do about that. The broken toe, she already had before she broke her leg. In fact I think that's part of WHY she broke her leg, when she landed, i think she might have rolled her foot because of the bad toe.

Sorry, I don't want to derail this thead, I'll let y'all get back on topic now! :)<br><br>Post edited by: matt314159, at: 2007/10/10 07:28

Wow Matt, thanks for posting that!!

It gives good reason to know or find the nearest Avian vet for all of us and especially to any new Grey owner.

Perhaps letting Ponti's wings grow out for better balance and flight capabilities would help him feel and be more coordinated and safe, if your situation allows for it. :-)