NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Talking to the wall?

1ststatestereo

I would not say so. Greys are notoriously shy talkers; they usually only talk when they feel they are "alone" or no one is paying attention to them. It may be that by turning to face the wall, your parrot feels like he's in his "secret space" where no one can see him or hear him, so while he appears to be talking to the wall, he's really just happy and comfortable enough to practice his words :) My bird will often go hide behind all his toys in the back of his cage and do birdie things, like talk to himself or preen etc. He says the funniest things in his "secret space" sometimes, and occasionally when one of us has been complaining about a bird doing this or that (such as chewing on the recliner...sigh) we'll hear a "Not Gryphon!" from the back of his cage. He is usually the one getting in trouble (his sister does a really good job of framing him) so I guess he likes to remind us when it's NOT his fault! :)

Our eleven year old TAG does the same thing sometimes. He will go through a period where he is always facing the room on this playtop perch. Then for some unknown reason, he will sit very close to the wall and grumble. Sometimes he will lean way over, put his forehead against the wall and make clicking sounds. I think it has to do with the acoustics and just his preferences to entertain himself at any given moment. If you have the ability to move her close to the wall so she can touch it, it would be interesting to see if she makes the connection to put her head there like a tuning fork creating resonance. If you have the metal seed guards around the bottom of her cage, you might put a perch up there to let her get a little closer. I know it makes it a pain to clean down around the floor, but Gilbert likes it back there and he hasn't been doing any damage to the wall. It would be interesting to see what she does. They are such amazing little thinkers.

After about 4 months with me, my 6 year old Timneh is speaking up a storm. However, I've noticed in the last week or so I see she is spending a lot of time staring at the wall. The wall is about 8 inches from the cage. The next closest wall is about 2 feet away.

Is this abnormal?

Do you mean she is facing the wall? Greys quite often look at things by tilting their heads so just one eye is focused on the object of their attention. You may notice that if your timneh (name please) drops something on to the floor he will cock just one eye by tilting to look at the dropped thing on the floor. Grey eyesight is not like ours. They can see nearly a full circle with very little head movement. They need to be aware of possible predators from any direction as well as seeing flock members around them when airborne. It is not always obvious what they are looking at compared to dogs , cats and humans. Right now Misty is eating his dinner from his plate. He is over my right shoulder munching happily away on his table. If I turn my head to look at him he looks back at me but only with his right eye. When he climbs up my chest for a beak bump he looks at my face with both eyes. They look where they are going with both eyes but to examine objects or observe their surrounding they mostly use just one eye or the other.

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot