NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Behavior question

Timbersmom

I am curious about something. When I feed Timber anything off a spoon, and sometimes when he is eating something he is holding, he bobs his head several times. I remember reading something about this being a feeding behavior (from feed bags I think)? I've never had a baby bird, so am just curious about this. If so, do they do this all of their lives? I was told he is 4 or 5 years old. If this has already been asked and answered I apologize!

No apologies please. Sometimes, they get that behavior when they're very young. Mostly, it has to do with gulping food down which was given by a breeder or the actual parents. That exactly what the action is. Many birds keep that behavior but it only happens when they're eating. That's the reason he's doing it while you're holding a spoon, scoop etc. usually when they eat very tiny things, they'll keep their heads down and eat ( like small seed). If it's large items they'll try to hold it with one foot and proceed to eat. Many birds actually go in their bowl and take out large things so they can eat that way. If he's only doing this when you're handfeeding something, there's nothing to worry about. Please don't think he's choking.

When they're very young, that's the way they're gulping down things.

OK, thanks! He usually only does it when I'm feeding him something from a spoon. I noticed him doing it when I gave him a small piece of hamburger from the grill earlier too, which is a favorite of his. It sounds like he's just a pig... ;)

My pleasure. Also try out some chicken bones from the wing. Make sure that chicken is only baked or boilled. Use the bones that have knuckles of either side. Just rinse the bones in warm water. Lots of calcium and most birds love the marrow inside. Some birds ( like my 3) willl also eat the bone.

I am glad you asked this question. I have seen Gilbert do it, but the same as you, only when he eats from a spoon. I thought it was because when I feed him from a spoon it is something warm and mushy like oatmeal or cooked pasta. I can almost hear him making yummy noises when he does it but he really seems to enjoy that kind of a feeding from time to time. We have had babies and had the need to feed them formula when they were sick so I have seen the pumping motion. Gilbert's motion is similar but not quite, it is more like he is gulping down something really fast and I was also afraid he might choke. Glad to know it is a normal thing even for an older parrot. Thanks for asking the question and thanks Dave for the reassurance.