NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Red Palm Oil

Miffy

You know, AZ is looming large on our moving horizon, and I have thought that one of the first things I would do in sunny AZ is try to obtain a palm oil tree or trees. I know desert soil is pretty much a poor growing medium (unless you're a cactus) but it's not impossible to grow good things well in the desert...I can so totally envision an outdoor bird zone with red palm oil trees to snack on! Of course, I would probably -never- convince my birds to come back down... :D

A tree trimmer was taking down a palm across the street from my house. I've seen the wild parrots feeding on the nuts. So I had him bring the fruit to me. My birds looked at me like I was insane - not interested at all. It's obviously not an oil palm, not sure what type(s) we grow in Southern California!

You know, it's sometimes get so thrown out of proportion when the subject of palm oil comes up. People start breaking down the ingredients and chemical components, naming things that many others don't understand. And they do this to make themselves seem like experts. I'm no expert concerning RPO. I simply know that birds benefit from it cause they eat it in the wild so I made it a point to tell people about it. I learned about this info from Vets. Loads of different species of parrots can eat the oil. I hate the taste or smell of it but that's alright. I'm not a bird.

Hmmm--who knows, maybe the birds know something we don't.

Years ago, I went through the trouble to tell loads of people about palm oil. I made a sticky about it. It was appreciated. Hundreds walked away and were happy cause they never knew about it. Loads of people were happy for their birds and started buying it and became inventive when using it. Some started shopping around to see if there were other places to buy it and they found those places which was great. Price was never an issue.

But periodically when I read all the hoopla from people concerning the oil and it's chemical breakdown and it's additives and it's ingredients and which ones are better than others and people start believing that their bird is doing better with one brand as opposed to another it starts to sound funny because I realize that with all the so called heavy duty investigating, the one most important thing that people aren't aware of because of a lack of investigating, is this--------

All the information that people find and read concerning that product has to do with people who are or about to use it, not birds. So all the judgements and decisions you're making about the product should be aimed at yourself, not birds. That's why all that info is listed . That link above has to do with people, not birds. Birds aren't people. It's only for you to read the ingredients and make the decision to use it in your own body. Thousands of people use palm oil in their own bodies. That's why it's sold. That's what all the info on the bottle is for. You, not birds.

Jay had asked me to post the reply, #11, because a question was asked by a member, Jay also stated that the best reference site he had was a site for human's not parrots. He wrote this post in good faith, supporting RPO and in a previous post supporting both Dave007 and Dan for their knowledge on the subject. When we stop asking questions and seeking answers, there would be no reason left for this forum. Dave and Dan truly are the experts on RPO, I just answered a question...Thanks Maggie

Edited by Spock