NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need to paint

pikachu

After some construction, I need to repaint some walls.

What is the safe way to do this?

How long will the fumes linger & be dangerous? Will the danger be gone once the paint is dried?

Can the birds be put down in the basement, away from the rooms being painted? Or will they need to leave the house totally?

And, if so, for how long?

I want to plan this out so that they stay safe.

Thanks for any info you can give me!

Hi, Maggie is typing for Jay...Hi, I've been trying to find some posts on our forum but i can't seem to find them. #1: A while back I checked with some paint manufacturers. No paint is safe including child-safe paint. (LOL) Child-safe paint is safe after it dries as long as you don't chew on it, lick it, bite off chunks and eat it, pick at it, etc. LOL...Best scenario, it takes ten days or more for toxicity to evaporate from fresh paint. Paint dries from the outside in. So...move the birds as far as possible, put towels or blankets on the cracks of the door to keep out fumes, run fans blowing the air toward outside windows. It is better to paint two thin coats and let dry 24 hrs between painting than one heavy coat. These drying fans need to be run 24/7. When you can no longer smell any odor, allow three more days before you introduce your birds to the room. What I like to do is take a few days before introducing the birds, with everything shut up, burn a few beeswax candles. Whether that works or not, I don't know. Just burning off particles in the air. Remember, a bird's sense of smell is far more sensitive and acute than a human's so the longer you can keep them away or do not expose them to a newly painted area, the better. As far as window sills, ledges, anywhere where a bird might land and chew, it might be better not to paint them at all. Thanks, Jayd and Maggie

Maggie/Jay - thanks for the advice. The rooms that will be painted are not rooms that the birds go in. Ever. But, I'm worried about the smell being in my house.

I'm thinking about bringing the tiel to my mom's house & the CAG to my daughter's for a couple days.

The weather is getting milder now. If I air the two rooms out, & bring the birds back after a couple days, do you think that would be okay?

Maggie/Jay - thanks for the advice. The rooms that will be painted are not rooms that the birds go in. Ever. But, I'm worried about the smell being in my house.

I'm thinking about bringing the tiel to my mom's house & the CAG to my daughter's for a couple days.

The weather is getting milder now. If I air the two rooms out, & bring the birds back after a couple days, do you think that would be okay?

Hi, I would recommend at least 3 days or longer. Thats great you have some one to watch them. Depending on weather etc, it could take longer. If there is to much harmful fumes, it will kill a parrot in about 30 minutes...Thanks Jay and Maggie

I was curious about this kind of thing too. We are in the middle of remodeling our home and I still have a few rooms to paint. We are also putting in wood floors and they will be glued down. Our master bedroom is done, so I guess we could put him in there, but the woods floors are going down right outside the bedroom. Will he be safe? I live in Florida. Would he be ok on our screened porch? I hate to do that, but if he will be safer...

Definitely go for the low or no VOC paints, just painted our front hallway or entryway it is two stories high and a challenge. The paint we used had no VOC's and had no discernible smell. Very happy with the results and the birds had no ill effects -they were not in the area we painted but the house has an open floor plan. Monitored birds closely and was ready to move them if any distress was shown.

Its always a better scenario, if you can remove birds for at least three days, while painting. If you can't, remove birds to a separate part of the house, close doors to painted room, wait five days. Refinishing hardwood floors, is even harder! Birds lived upstairs for four weeks. Rooms refinished, were shut off. They did fine. Nancy

I just painted some walls in my living room. I used Kilz primer and Behr paint. Both are no odor, low (or no) VOCs. Surprisingly, there was barely any smell. I put the birds in the aviary while I was painting. You could put them in outdoor cages, keep all the windows open, use fans, etc.

If you have a Home Depot near you, they carry both. Here's the link to Kilz: http://www.kilz.com/masterchem/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c05f90033f9ff110VgnVCM1000008a05d103RCRD