NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My Grey is becoming a bully

Zoom

Simon Grey is 20 months old. I've had him for 17 months. Kazoo is a 15-year-old DYH Amazon. I've had her for 22 months. They've never been friends. They were both afraid of each other, so they gave each other a wide berth. They both tried to avoid being in close proximity to one another.

But in the last few weeks, Simon seems to have lost his fear of Kazoo, and is now being quite aggressive toward her. If she's on a boing, he chases her off. Then he follows her to the next boing and chases her off of that one too. If she's sitting on the back of the couch with me, he swoops down and lunges at her. Even if she's just sitting on top of her own cage, minding her own business, he flies over and hovers in front of her for a few seconds in a menacing way.

Is there anything I can do to curb this behaviour, other than letting them out of their cages separately? When I intervene and remove one bird from a confrontation, should it be the bully or the victim? Why is Simon doing this?

Sounds like Simon is asserting his position as master of his domain all right but what to do about it is something I really can't help you with as I have never been in that situation before, maybe some of the other members will chime in with what works for them for this has to be a common problem with multiple birds.

Aww. yes, the bully stage.....my 3 have gone thru it as well. I have a small tag, a cag and the almighty (in her mind) amazon. Mostly, it is my amazon who tries to be the bully. Unless they are getting too carried away, and fighting or biting, I do not intervene. They need to work out their flock issues as wild birds do (IMO). The attention they get when they try to bully only enforces the behavior. The behavior will curb itself once they find their place on the totem pole and you may find as time goes on, there are times when the lower position bird has had enough and asserts themselves, then the bully is so surprised they dont know what to do. At least that's how it has worked in my house. I NEVER give the bully attention, I take the victim away, making the bully jealous? ...

Hi...Maggie here, typing for Jay...A 'Zon and a Grey, the doer and the thinker....what's going on? This is part of the bonding process. Simon says Kazoo's been getting all her love for long enough. I want my share of on-demand love. This is especially true when Greys and 'Zons are free in the same household. This basically tells me that they are settling in after all these months into their environment and have accepted you as their "parront".

The best way to handle this is equal quality time...let one roost with you and talk, play, or just sit and feed treats. Usually it is best to start with the Grey since the 'Zon is more self-reliant. Take your other baby after taking the Grey wherever their favorite spot is and giving a treat, and repeat the same thing. Usually after time, both parrots will adapt to this. There will be times that they might need a little extra loving. Instead of treating them as bully/victim, treat them as two young'uns that need equal love from you. Remember, a Grey and a 'Zon both think and apply their thoughts to actions so treat their thoughts of wanting love and comfort. Many Grey/Zons that we have worked with including Spock, Joe and Salsa, have gone through this, Salsa and Joe right now.

Thank you, Jayd (Thanks, Maggie)

Edited by Spock

Maggie and Jay have made a very important point.

Because Corky Grey was here first for many years before Cricket my amazon she is always out first for about 15 minutes for her time and than we let Cricket out.

They are out together, but when Cricket is out she gets her time to be with me and or the wife and Corky will start to eat her breakfast and after 15 minutes or so Cricket looks for her share of the food,(what ever we are eating).

After eating they will play(not with each other) until its time to go back

When its time to go back Cricket is put in her cage first and then Corky. This is our routine. Corky keeps her No. one spot and Cricket has taken No. 2 and its the same every day.

They have excepted this as their routine.

When they are out at the same time they both get equal attention and there is no competition for our affection, but. they are always supervised. They will eat off the same plate at the same time.

Do they like each other ??????????????

Edited by Ray P

Maggie/Jay, thanks so much for that. You make it sound like it's a positive development in their relationship, which makes me feel so much better. I will try not to see it as bullying, and I will make quality time for each of them individually. Should I do that privately, away from the other birds? Or in front of them?

[Maggie for Jay] Thank you, Treat all you fids as a flock[family] Like Ray said, oldest has priority, By doing it openly, all your fids we'll see this as a positive act....All our parrots, even though their still wild animals pick up on human love and affections, they observe it in their surroundings, your doing a Greyt job... Thanks Jay and Maggie..

Zoom,

Great responses from previous forum members! I just wanted to reiterate that it is best to let them work it out on their own. This is the quickest way to peace. They will establish the pecking order and it WILL get better. As for the individual private time that is a good idea too. Good luck!

Most of the members have already hit the nai on the head...so I'm just adding to the voices. I find it best to let my parrots work out their differences. They understand each other's body language much better than i do - and they are equals. When it comes to an unfair competition - like a hookbill beak vs. a toucan beak...I keep them separated.