NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

DIY Climbing Net

I found this article on how to make a climbing net. Any thoughts on what kind of locally sourced rope would be good for a project like this? Our new CAG has shown an extreme interest in our Senegal's net. We were going to get a get a grip net (what our sennie has) but there is only one person I can find with old stock and she's being very difficult to deal with because "her store is swamped" and doesn't seem motivated to make sales like this over the phone.

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/how-to-make-a-climbing-net-for-your-parrot/

We'd really like to find abaca aka Manila rope like the get a grips use. Our Sennie LOVES the texture of it for chewing and rubbing her beak head and face on. I might settle for something cheaper locally sourced rope and do a practice version. We have to regularly retrieve our new CAG from the net and we've only had him two days.

I have one, my birds hate it. I bought another one made of fisherman cotton rope from Oliver's garden, that one is nicer and seems to be a hit. Although my cag would never go on it, and my tag will if I put her on it, but she doesn't like the shakiness of it, my amazon loves it.

The biggest issue in this case is not finding the design or the skilled labor, it's sourcing a rope that is bird safe. Plenty of places sell rope for toy making parts but I never find anything over half an inch in these situations. For a CAGs feet I think you'd want a minimum thickness of 1inch. The existing get a grip we have I believe is 3/4 rope and when he lands on that his toes go all the way around.

I contacted two sellers on ebay that sell Manila rope. One siad he doesn't know what's done to it during import, and the other flat out said no this is not safe for birds.

You might try http://www.LJOLeather.com I have purchased items from them at the show here locally. They are VERY nice people and seem to do a lot of research in selecting the products they are willing to sell. I had forgotten about them when you asked earlier. I hate buying online, so I have hesitated to order extra lengths of rope. They have cotton, manila and some sisal too. You might call them as I know they have more stuff than what is on the website. The man told me that himself.

On a side note, my birds, the amazon and the grey seem to prefer a rope they can wrap their feet around, maybe provides a safe grip for acrobatics?? I was also looking for something extra thick, but now I am unsure about that. I might have the LJO guy bring me samples to the show this weekend...and I can report back. :)

oops...I think that show is the 29th.

Edited by CLB

When I first got my Tag I got a large cargo net. But it was so big and so heavy I have taken it down and put it in the garage. My gang loves boings and they are all over my home.

Same in my house, I cut my first one in half and hung it in my living room, Nilah liked it, but didn't use it much after a while, do I took it down and it sits in my basement...boings are everywhere here too!

There are a number of reasonably-priced online sources for all-cotton rope that is safe for birds. Stay away from ANY nylon-based or blended rope.

You can also use a quality sisal rope that is NOT treated. Tractor Supply sells both treated and untreated. Be careful of rope from big-box home improvement stores - they are usually treated rope. I tend to prefer the sisal rope as it shreds easier and won't have any chance of getting caught on toes, etc. There is a short-fiber cotton rope that also shreds easy but is really pricey.

Mix and match rope sizes on the same net - use one size for the perimeter, the vertical ropes and the horizontal pieces.

All my CAGS have access to rope nets and love them - some more than others. When making them, include some wood toy parts on the rope between joints. They love to hang and chew on them.

I've made both tied-joint and slip-joint nets and really prefer the slip-joint as they are less bulky. My birds like them better, too. And, they are far easier to repair/replace a section.

Remember, untreated natural fiber rope is ok. No nylon. No paracord. Sisal (natural fiber) is ok. Jute might be ok, be careful of any treatments. No inks or coloring - use bird-safe dyes after making the net if you want color.

Dave, do you have a picture of your slip-joint net? Approximately how much rope did you use? I would like to try making one but am totally in the dark as to how big, how much material, how to make the knots, etc. I have been scouring the internet and it seems that you need LOTS of rope ... but I haven't found exactly how much. One website showed a homemade net with the explanation, "this is way too small for an African Grey or larger bird". Hmmm. Because I am a net-making newbie, I would appreciate any advice. Thanks. Beth

I bought the Get a Grip net. It was feared, then ignored. Just like the java table top perch. The birds would rather hang around on a $10 boing! :)

If found this on Amazon. It's a lot of money..but it is 100 feet of rope - that is a tons of toys! http://www.amazon.com/Koch-5322445-100-Feet-Cotton-Twisted/dp/B00775PQEQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346871316&sr=8-3&keywords=3%2F4%22+cotton+Rope

We got a hold of one the remaining get a grip nets in the size we wanted. Now we'd like to hang it. All we have is a large stainless steel washer protecting the spot where we attached our other net to the wall which is fine to keep our Senegal away from the joint. Any thoughts what I should use to keep a CAG away from the mounting point on the wall?

We got a hold of one the remaining get a grip nets in the size we wanted. Now we'd like to hang it. All we have is a large stainless steel washer protecting the spot where we attached our other net to the wall which is fine to keep our Senegal away from the joint. Any thoughts what I should use to keep a CAG away from the mounting point on the wall?

Maybe cut down a piece of PVC and slip it over the end?

The PVC is perfectly safe. You can use the stainless...but it makes it more difficult to cut down if it's not the correct size. Whatever is easier. Also the PVC can be replaced.

There are some "wall/ceiling protector" products on the market for bird owners. But they are overpriced and PVC works just as well. I even have a toy the birds love made of small cut up parts of PVC.