NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

He's Arrived! Working Title Grey

Thanks again for all the kind words. He seems to be settling in well. the night before last we had our first epic skritches session. He flew back to his cage and then flew back 5 minutes later for more. Last night he was a little more independent. We called in a favor and had someone personally go pick up one of the old-stock get a grip nets since the shop that had them kept putting us off by 2-3 days at a time and we don't live in the area. Elwood is already flying onto our Senegals net so it's a safe bet it's worth the effort to get. I was quite entertained since the person we knew in that area is fairly successful and mentioned she'd have her assistant ship it to us. I kind of imagine the assistant looking at this pile of rope wondering why it's worth shipping all the way across the country.

I am a bit concerned about Elwoods eating habits, he's regressed a bit since we got him (it'll be one week as of tomorrow) when I get him up and in the evening he makes baby grey sounds (you know the dinosaur ones) and is quite eager to be fed mush of some kind. I shared some oatmeal with him the first or second day we had him and he seems to expect it now. He does the pump action with his neck and chokes it down while some he eats in a more normal fashion. The people I've asked (breeder, avian vet, bird shop owner) seem to think this is normal and I'm not too worried but wanted to get some opinions here about it. Please weigh in on how long i should let this go on before consulting with my vet again. If I do spoon feed him mush once a day what should be in it? Right now it's Bob Red Mills thick rolled oats, hot cereal mix, canned pumpkin and crumbled pellets.

Congratulations on the planes, trains and automobiles bringing your precious Elwood home. I am not well versed in the feeding of new baby, but what you are giving him sounds good to me. You might want to call his breeder about that because she would best know her own babies and what works best to reassure them and get them on the solids after weaning. On the flying to high places, others have had great success in putting something up high to discourage perching on top of doors, chewing woodwork up there and that sort of thing. Some get a plastic owl and put it up high, some greys don't like a stuffed animal and putting that up high discourages them from being in places where they could get into trouble. Gilbert also loves to climb the toy hook at the top of his cage but if he sees someone coming with an almond or a pine nut, he will swing down like a fireman coming down the pole. Elwood is a beauty and it sounds like he was well cared for at his breeder and just perfect in your home.

Congratulations on the planes, trains and automobiles bringing your precious Elwood home. I am not well versed in the feeding of new baby, but what you are giving him sounds good to me. You might want to call his breeder about that because she would best know her own babies and what works best to reassure them and get them on the solids after weaning. On the flying to high places, others have had great success in putting something up high to discourage perching on top of doors, chewing woodwork up there and that sort of thing. Some get a plastic owl and put it up high, some greys don't like a stuffed animal and putting that up high discourages them from being in places where they could get into trouble. Gilbert also loves to climb the toy hook at the top of his cage but if he sees someone coming with an almond or a pine nut, he will swing down like a fireman coming down the pole. Elwood is a beauty and it sounds like he was well cared for at his breeder and just perfect in your home.

Thanks, I spoke to the breeder a few days after we got him and she felt this was in no way unusual and said he would eventually get back to his regular food. He likes to ground forage so when I let him out I sprinkle pellets and some seed on top of his cage play top and he spends a good 20 minutes or more up there nibbling away at at it all, going back to crumbs from something he just crushed and sent flying. However, after that he wants mush. The main places we're trying to discourage him from flying are the places that already are our Senegals territory and we want to establish that. Problem is it's not fair to put something scarey in an area where you want our Senegal to be but not our CAG.

So it's been a solid week with Elwood. He's still "asking" for mush and eats quite a bit of oatmeal when allowed. However, he eats pellets and some of the fresh food we provide him. He seems to be a fairly solid eater since the first day we got him home. I took him to my parents place to visit, which involved a cab ride, a train, and a car while in the carrier. Going there he was a little panicky at times and he whistled every few minutes on the train. That was friday evening. He was not a happy camper that evening. The second day we set him up on a small play stand and he settled in really well and was eating and causing trouble like you would expect. He almost broke a few things. So overall it was a good trip. The reverse ride back he was MUCH calmer. less than 5 whistles or so, and little to no pacing. Seems like he's getting used to it quickly.

20120902_165433.jpg20120908_102852.jpg

20120909_103506.jpg

He got onto a chandelier more than once.

20120909_145941.jpg

Love the pics! Thanks for posting them. I don't have a lot of experience, but greys seem a lot like children. First experiences are scary, but after they get used to it they are fine. The last time Elwood traveled (if I'm remembering right) he had to leave home, the people he knew and go to a completely new environment. This time, he saw that he was staying with you and started relaxing about the situation. He sure looks healthy and happy in the pics :)

Love the pics! Thanks for posting them. I don't have a lot of experience, but greys seem a lot like children. First experiences are scary, but after they get used to it they are fine. The last time Elwood traveled (if I'm remembering right) he had to leave home, the people he knew and go to a completely new environment. This time, he saw that he was staying with you and started relaxing about the situation. He sure looks healthy and happy in the pics :)

Yeah, we started traveling with our Senegal just after getting her and now we can take her anywhere. I know greys are much different, but we're hoping to get some semblance of the frequent exposure and socialization that our Sennie got. So far it looks like even after one trip to the vet and one trip out of town, he's getting accustomed to the carrier. In those pics all but one are in a home he was only in for a weekend. Everyone talks about birds not eating when they're nervous, or not playing. Those are two things Elwood excels at. He loves foot toys and eats well wherever he is.

IMG_0990.jpg

Elwood gets 1 up...

LOL Love the pic! We are gamers at our house too. Just remember that Elwood, like a toddler, will latch on to any words you'd prefer he didn't say, so watch your mouth next time you take a dive on the game! ;)

Yeah I know, my language when I'm home isn't exactly the cleanest and I'm trying to curb that. We mainly use the Xbox as a media streaming and playback platform (all we have in our bedroom is a second xbox, a bluray player, monitor and speakers) but when time permits a FPS or two has been known to be played. On a related note, we had a movie playing and it was interesting to see how Elwood payed attention to the movie which was a fairly dialogue heavy film with little flash to the imagery. I've been leaving music playing when I leave for work and sometimes I log in remotely and switch it over something on Hulu. I've adopted the idea that quiet is a sign of danger for a lot of prey animals and while they do need quiet a steady background noise can be a good thing.

I leave the TV on for Timber, but I can't tell that he pays any attention to it at all. I just feel better leaving it on for him, and as you said, I don't think total silence is a good thing for them during waking hours when they are alone. He perks up when he hears animal sounds or other birds on the TV or computer, but doesn't show any interest in other shows.