NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Regression

Sassy

After Neytiri's first vet appointment where they chipped her it has been difficult to get her to eat. After a week and a half I stopped back at the shop with her to talk to the owners. They reassured me that it wasn't my fault and that it happens sometimes. They also gave me some formula and said to mix it in a bowl for her a couple times a day. They said it will probably take a week or so and she will wean off it again.

Has this happened to your baby and how did you handle it? Any other suggestions to help her eat right again?

Thanks

Sassy

Some times they have to work it out on there own.

To this day Corky is a hit and miss eater and she will be 12 years old in December.

She always looks good and is happy.

Some times she is a little lady and some times she`s a pig.

Do you have a relationship with an avian vet? If so, get her to the vet for a check - consistent weight loss in a juvenile grey is cause for alarm and a signal that something is wrong. If you don't have an avian vet, get one now.

And be extremely careful about formula feeding your bird. There are a number of potential problems that can "crop" up.

She was too the vet on the 20th... good a clean bill of health... it seems that the stress of the visit caused her to regress. I'm not giving her a lot of formula... about 1 tbsp. out of a bowl. Hubby said that today she's not making the baby cry and is happily chirping around while playing. SHe was also eating her veggies and had nuts this am after her formula... Trying to only give her enough to provide a comfort feeling and to entice her to eat again.

After Neytiri's first vet appointment where they chipped her it has been difficult to get her to eat. After a week and a half I stopped back at the shop with her to talk to the owners. They reassured me that it wasn't my fault and that it happens sometimes. They also gave me some formula and said to mix it in a bowl for her a couple times a day. They said it will probably take a week or so and she will wean off it again.

Has this happened to your baby and how did you handle it? Any other suggestions to help her eat right again?

Thanks

Sassy

Chipped? you mean -clipped? If so, at that age any semblence of balance and coordination that started even in a very young bird is temporarily lost and that balance loss can cause a bird to mess up their desire to eat. The grey is uncomfortable for a while. Sometimes a bit of fear sets in. If clipping is needed, it shouldn't be done until the bird is much older after the bird has regained balance and coordination from a premature clip. Your bird will come around but it may take a while.

Dave... I do mean chipped... She had a microchip inserted at the vet visit. as for clipping she has a very light clip to limit her ability to climb (although as she is getting stronger she was starting to get a little lift) otherwise she is flying fantastic...

Dave... I do mean chipped... She had a microchip inserted at the vet visit. as for clipping she has a very light clip to limit her ability to climb (although as she is getting stronger she was starting to get a little lift) otherwise she is flying fantastic...

Ok, that's great

Regression in newly weaned birds is not uncommon, stress can cause it. I had the same problem with Darwin, a few days after I brought him home. I believe he is close in age to your girl, he was born April 14th 2012. I brought him home on one feeding in the evening, as he still wanted it and the breeder believes in letting them wean on their own. Darwin is flighted and all the change, plus the tremendous amount of exercise he was getting from trying out his new wings caused him to lose weight. We added a feeding in the morning, nothing huge, just enough to stimulate his appetite, kept him a little more quiet for a few days (a few more naps, a little less activity), and added a huge variety of soft foods. He's still down from the time I brought him home, but not much, but he's eating again and holding steady with his weight. Personally I think he was chubby when I brought him home and he's lost the bit they do around fledging time. Some times he eats his offered formula, sometimes he dickers with it and prefer his "chop" and beans/lentils, I leave it up to him but I always offer lots and lots of options, He also has pellets, all the healthy nuts he wants right now and I put fruit and veggies on his kabob. He has food anywhere he looks. It took him about a week to get back eating like a horse.

Dave's post #8 is very correct...As I read it, the baby was both chipped and clipped at the same time. This is a trust-related issue. There was some physical pain and the fact that the bird was clipped which causes a psychological reaction....my feelings only is it is not regression, but a lack of trust. That is one of the reasons that we do not clip and during vet visits, we limit any actions to our fids to one action at a time per visit. Regarding full clip, light clip....there are many posts on this forum explaining that birds with these altered wings can still fly and be lost. Think about it....a lightly clipped bird that can fly level in your home, outside with a slight breeze would have no problem flying miles. A lightly clipped bird is a waste of money and also trauma to the bird. If a person must clip their bird, a proper clip is that a bird, leaving from the top of his cage (approx. 6') can only fly down 8-10' on an angle away and down from his cage, slowing the descent with no lift. Thanks for listening...Jayd

(we personally do not condone clipping of any kind. Example: if you have ceiling fans, don't use them. If you have to use them, don't have a bird.)

Edited by Spock

I'm pretty certain she was clipped at the shop before coming home and chipped at the vet another time. Darwin had neither of these done, no trust issues, and he also lost a bit of weight and stopped eating as much for a few days, this apparently isnt uncommon in new babes, or even some older birds, when faced with significant change like a new home. As long as she's back to normal Sassy, I wouldnt worry too much about it. I'm sure she trusts you, she looks completely happy in her photos you've posted and its clear you love her very much and only have her best interests at heart.

I don't think there's anything to happen to set it off but I notice lately Jasper is going through spells of eating and not when I give him the same food. Morning time he gets his veggies and bean cuisine, after a couple hours I take that out and give him his pellets mixed with some crumbled avicake and just veggies. A few days ago I noticed that he still had alot of pellets left come morning time. He would eat his veggies just fine. Now the last day or so he's back to eating his pellets again. It probably was a trust thing, you took her out of her environment she was getting used to and to this place..I assume she wasn't put under for the chipping? Look at it from her point of view for a sec..someone before said they chip in the breast muscle..think for a moment how that would feel having a needle and foreign object stuck in your muscle. Give her lots of love and patience, she'll likely come back around.

I sometimes do give Jasper a treat of sweet potato baby food in the evenings. I'm not such a great home cook. He loves it but sadly my black cat does too so I have to try to keep him from grabbing the spoon until Jasper is done, then he gets a taste.

Hi, Take a sweet potato, or summer squash, yam, cauliflower, boil till soft, mash, serve warm, you can add a pinch of cinnamon, or ginger, dab of low sodium organic peanut-butter, VOILA, baby food.... Concerning trust etc, a lot of people do not put enough concern into what affects and doesn't affect our Greys. A while back a person we were helping, her baby refused to go to her , it took a while but Jay figured out it was because the lady changed her hand soap...On another occasion, a man put track lighting in the Greys room, the Grey became violent and scared, biting his owner, the owner couldn't approach his Grey finally figured it out, it took a while to repair that trust. From experience, a vets visit can be very traumatic to or fids, don't assume. Jay

Neytiri is back doing fantastic. Yes the clipping and chipping happened at different times. She was not put under either. Her clip is very light to limit lift but she can still fly all over the place and enjoys it. She is eating wet pellets and lots of veggies. She's down to about 2tsp of formula at night. She really is such a good girl. And so cuddly at night.

You are off to a good start with Neytiri. Your magical journey is just beginning. Even after three years of intense immersion and sickness and a gnarly lil' rehomed character, I wonder and second guess and read and read and try new things. As you get to know your girl, you will become one with her and have this down pat. Your intuition is good and your love for her is obvious. I can't wait to hear about her antics when she is all settled in and getting into mischief and making you laugh as you share her uniqueness with us. Thanks for being part of our forum.