NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Biting question

TeriG

It is also important to display affection in front of your bird together. I did that with the boys. I always had them help me change the cages, help with feedings and treats. We would play board games in front of Sophie. That was how she first came out of her cage. We were playing Trouble... she finally climbed down, stepped up on me. I told boys to ignore it, continue playing. I told her " Hi", continued to play the game. She was fascinated by the bubble. She only watched that day, but eventually she came out whenever we played Trouble. Eventually, she learned to stepup to all of us over this silly game. If she wanted to pop the bubble( of coarse she thought she did while on the wrist), she had to " stepup" to whose turn it was. Amazing how a grey could learn to stepup to everyone over a silly boardgame!

Sophie still loves board games, and comes out to family room to play. Even when we have guests. ( she knows most of them anyway). She'll stick with the winning team. If I'm losing, she somehow knows this, starts sucking up to winning team. ( traitor!) Nancy

That's cute about the "Trouble" game. I have my husband help with cleaning the cage and getting him fresh food and water, but he can't put his hand too close to or in the cage. So far I can only do that. I'm sure over time he will get better. He was never really handled by a man before. His previous owner was a woman (my dad's girlfriend) and my dad was afraid of him, so he never even tried to mess with him. He loves my brother. When he lived with them (years ago now) he spent alot of time talking to him and working with him. So he learned to trust him and now he will come right to him and regurgitate on him. Not to mention he will rub his tail on him when he is holding him and make these cute little noises. Now that I've been on this forum I know that we shouldn't let him do that. My brother doesn't live near me so I don't think we have to worry about it. I do have a question about the regurigation though. I know some people think it's not a good idea to let them do it, but if it's something they like to do is it ok? He tried to do it to me the other night and I thought it was his way of saying he's starting to trust me.

I have my husband help with cleaning the cage and getting him fresh food and water, but he can't put his hand too close to or in the cage.

Perfect! He should also drop a special treat in the cage. Something the bird really loves...and only let your husband give the treat.

This may sound daunting - but building trust can take months. Or years. It's a slow process, and always done at the bird's pace. I'm going to post a great essay on trust and bonding....

Perfect! He should also drop a special treat in the cage. Something the bird really loves...and only let your husband give the treat.

This may sound daunting - but building trust can take months. Or years. It's a slow process, and always done at the bird's pace. I'm going to post a great essay on trust and bonding....

I shall look forward to that.

Steve n Misty

So, Virgil and I are doing wonderful! Last night we spent about 15 minutes cuddling! He loves his head scratches and if I stopped he would look at me and then put his head right back down for more. He has really been good with me. Every time I come over to him he immediatly steps up and starts to regurg. I don't mind it so much until he starts to lower his wings over my hand and wiggle his tail. At that point I tell him I love him, put him back in his cage and walk away for a few minutes. After about the 3rd time of walking away he stops. But we do have to go through that each time so far. I'm hoping he will eventually stop that. He let's me come right into the cage to get him, which he never did with anyone before. I can rub his head and face/beak. He even started grooming my hair last night. So I think he has really bonded with me. I just love this little guy so much :)

That's great news Teri! I'm so happy you and Virgil are doing so well. There's no feeling like the one I have when Timber rests his head on my stomach and closes his eyes when I'm sitting with him. We are at the point where if I say "wanna go?" he walks to the edge of whatever he is standing on, and steps up. If he doesn't "wanna go" he goes inside his cage. Much better than a lunge or a bite.