NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I want to carry Zak to other country...

Morana

...so the first thing I did was to email my vet. Unfortunately she is still on vacation so she told to check how to get documents about CITES, find a list which diseases Zak must be checked for (for a particular country), and some other things that I do not know how to translate. She also told me where to start searching theese kind of information. Unfortunately I must have had a bad luck because the information I got is totally contrary to what my vet told me. Actually, response from one woman I talked to was: "he doesn't need anything. The people at the airport will know when you come there" And I was like !?!!! So I called someone else.. In short, I visited a lot of web sites, seen a lot of things I won't pretend I understand because I'm not really sure what exactly am I supposed to be looking for in the first place and where to get the info from. Simply put, I got a headache so I'm asking you, with actual experience, what do I need to get so I could transport Zakica to Sweden? I am going to Swedish embassy on Wednesday but I'm not sure how helpful they will be.. So any info guys?

Thought I copied the wrong link. Apparently, it's one of those magical script things. Can't click on the link or open it in a new tab/window. When I copied the link & pasted it in the address bar, it took me back to the right place, though.

Edited by birdhouse

...so the first thing I did was to email my vet. Unfortunately she is still on vacation so she told to check how to get documents about CITES, find a list which diseases Zak must be checked for (for a particular country), and some other things that I do not know how to translate. She also told me where to start searching theese kind of information. Unfortunately I must have had a bad luck because the information I got is totally contrary to what my vet told me. Actually, response from one woman I talked to was: "he doesn't need anything. The people at the airport will know when you come there" And I was like !?!!! So I called someone else.. In short, I visited a lot of web sites, seen a lot of things I won't pretend I understand because I'm not really sure what exactly am I supposed to be looking for in the first place and where to get the info from. Simply put, I got a headache so I'm asking you, with actual experience, what do I need to get so I could transport Zakica to Sweden? I am going to Swedish embassy on Wednesday but I'm not sure how helpful they will be.. So any info guys?

What you wanna do is extremely difficult especially because parrots and other birds are considered wild animals even though they might be pets. Parrots will always be wild animals and are dealt with differently then domestic animals. There's a special but long process you need to go through and this place will tell you what you need, what you have to do, what organizations you need to deal with. basically, all of the officials you'll be dealing with are located in your present country and organizations and officials in the country you're going to to. Of of these things are international law.

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/movinginternationally.php

Thanks Dave. I actually found that same site a few days ago but after reading just a part of it made me fill dizzy:-P I'll go through it again. Thank you:-)

I just kinda hoped someone had a shorter to-do list;-)

Well, here's the short version------

You're gonna need several pieces of official documentation in your present counrty. That will probably mean health certifics from your vet. It must be an avian vet. Then, you're bird will probably be put in quarantine for about 2 to 4 mts in your present country before the bird can be allowed to travel. The reason for that is that avian vets aren't government sanctioned. Then when you arrive in the new country, there may be tests given because rules and results and requirements of testing are different in each country. Then it's possible that your bird may have to be put in quarantine in the new country depending upon their official rules. After that the bird is released to you. Of course some of the rules may be slightly different but health certificates, vet exams are basically the same in each country. Some countries are more stringent or less stringent then others. So, you'll probably need to contact both countries' organizations who set the rules for importing wild animals. Different countries have different rules.

Even here in the US, it's not always an easy process to move a wild animal from state to state but it is easier than importing a bird from one country to another.

Edited by Dave007

Oh man!

I don't think I want Zak to go through all that! :-( I think he would be distraught after a torture like that:-(((((

Yes, it's a major process so make sure that your new country is your final country.

Hypothetically, if you decided to move back to your original country after 6 mts, the whole process would have to be started in reverse. The reason for that is because in those 6 mts, a bird may have contracted a disease/diseases that a bird needs to be checked for. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with your bird. It's simply because of a countries' impersonal rules and regulations that need to be followed.

So, I was in Swedish embassy today and they told me that since we are not in EU Zak would be in quarantine for 36 freakin months!!!!! Even if we were in EU he would still be there for 12 months!!!! :-((((((((((((((((((

The woman there literally told me "you can buy a parrot there". I didn't deign to answer.

So, I was in Swedish embassy today and they told me that since we are not in EU Zak would be in quarantine for 36 freakin months!!!!! Even if we were in EU he would still be there for 12 months!!!! :-((((((((((((((((((

The woman there literally told me "you can buy a parrot there". I didn't deign to answer.

Yes, that was a cruel thing to say. I tried to tell you that the process would be difficult. I'm somewhat familiar with international shipping of wild animals. I simply gave you conservative numbers concerning quarantine time. I had a feeling that those numbers would be higher but I didn't wanna scare you. It's best to hear that info from the officials in the different countries. Even though that remark was uncalled for, I should tell you that these laws have existed for years and years.

Concerning predatory animals-----if a person owns any predatory animals such as eagle, hawks, lions, hyenas, wolves etc, that person would not be able to get permission to move the animal from any country to country ever. It's against the law to own these types of animals. The only way that can happen is if accredited zoos, accredited sanctuarys are involved. They need to own the animal and that animal can only be shipped and given to other zoos in the new country, not individual people.

The woman there literally told me "you can buy a parrot there".

...spoken like a true animal lover :P

The website I ref'd hasn't been updated since 2011-12-16. But that's an awfully big change in 9 mos.

Importing from EU countries and from Andorra, Faeroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican

You may bring no more than five birds from EU countries and from Andorra, Faeroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican, provided that they travel with you or your representative. The birds must be healthy.

Importing from other non-EU countries

You need an import licence

If you want to bring pet birds to Sweden from non-EU countries except Andorra, Faeroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, Croatia, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland and the Vatican, you need an import permit for each individual case.

You need to apply for an import license at least 30 days before the estimated date of importation. You will find the application form in the right-hand column. The application fee is SEK 100. Please pay this amount to our bank giro account No 5693-2486 before submitting your application. State your name and address and, identify the payment by the number 10504. Please enclose a copy of the payment receipt with your licence application.

Payments from abroad is made via SWIFT: DABASESX. International Bank account code (IBAN-code) is: SE9212000000012810104360.

The country from which you bring the birds must be a member of the OIE, the World Organisation for Animal Health.

Health requirements and health certificate

Within 48 hours of dispatch, or on the last working day before dispatch, the birds must undergo clinical examination. This has to find that the birds show no obvious signs of disease. The birds must comply with one of the following three options:

* They have for at least 30 days before departure been kept in isolation at an establishment under official supervision in Canada, Chile, Macedonia, Montenegro, New Zeeland, Serbia, or St Pierre et Miguelon.

* They have been kept in isolation for at least ten days before departure. During this time, they have been tested for H5N1-antigen or H5N1-genome in accordance with the OIE Manual of Diagnostic Test and Vaccines for Terrestrial Animals. The test must be taken no sooner than on the third day of isolation, and has to show that the birds do not carry bird flu. More information is available at the OIE website. The birds' owner or his representative has to sign a document ensuring that the tests have been carried out.

* They must be quarantined for 30 days after their arrival in the EU, at an approved quarantine facility. Since there are no such quarantines in Sweden, you need to bring the birds via the country where they will spend the 30 days of quarantine. Approved quarantine facilities can be found in Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Spain and the United Kingdom.

Rule of 3

Always find at least three sources of information for anything that's important because people

1- don't always know all the facts

2- aren't always good at their job

3- can make mistakes sometimes

This is a big deal & for lots of very good reasons. But the little sweetie at the embassy as good as told you that no one is allowed to bring their fids into Sweden...?

I think everything will cost you time & money. Professionals may be worth the investment. Maybe Pet Relocators or some other professional agency is worth looking into. Can't hurt to check out the site that the link I posted was pointed at (even though I didn't want it to).

Thank you so much birdhouse!! :-**** I'll try investigating such agencies and the rest of the info you gave:-) I know it would cost me time and money but it is worth it:-) I was so down all day for what that woman said. I dread of leaving my bird behind. I think I have a very good potential home for him (if I had to leave him behind) but it would be my last resort. It is not like I'm in the hurry. We are getting into EU at the first of July 2013. and I'm just starting to learn Swedish (in about 20 days) so I have a LOT of preparations to make if I am to move to Sweden.

Wow! That would be a huge help! :-D Anything you can dig up would be really helpful because it seems that I can't get any useful information from my country. Whom ever I ask here (officials) they are saying different from "you don't need anything to move your bird there" to basically "you can't get your bird to Sweden" .. :-S

Morana, this is the link to the English translation that I copied from. I think I made it work so you can just click on it & go to that page, now.

http://www.jordbruksverket.se/swedishboardofagriculture/engelskasidor/animals/import/petbirds.4.6621c2fb1231eb917e680003127.XXXX