NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Makenas thoughts on Harrisons

MakenasDad

Well we pretty much have Makena weaned off of hand feeding formula. We used Kaytee Exact Rainbow mix to ween him off, and he pretty much likes it (mainly the red ones for some reason.) In addition we always have another bowl full of his fruits/veggies. We started putting Harrisons High Potency coarse in his pellet bowl to see how much he likes it. Here is a picture of his thoughts:

IMG_3216-1.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: MakenasDad, at: 2007/10/05 21:37

Ya Dan, there really wasn't any competition there. Judy, I plan on buying the High Potency FINE next time. It really hard to find anyone who even sells it on the island. In fact only the vet offices sell it. I'll check around and see if we can find some here before attempting to order online and paying shipping. The picture really made us chuckle as well, haha. :laugh:

I get my Harrison's pellets from an online place that sells out of their home in Roanoke, Va and because I belong to the local bird club I get 10% off. Plus if I order it before one of our meetings I can pick it up from them then and not have to pay shipping.:lol:

When I brought Luna home, she was eating crappy seeds.. she was pretty picky about food, she would eat seeds or people food.. so I bought the harrisons fine, added a bit of water and heated it up.. making a mash(you know a parrot cant resist soft and warm!). It got her used to the taste of the pellet itself. I would add less and less water and started showing her how to dunk her pellets.

One day I came home and saw pellet chunks in her water! =)

If she really won't eat the larger pellets you could grind them in a coffee grinder and add them to fresh food. That way they won't be wasted, and she won't know that she is eating them. (have to be sneaky sometimes). Or mix them with apple sauce, heat slightly in the microwave and serve. Or add to birdie bread and cook. It apparently doesn't change the nutritional content.

i really liked the visual aid! Very effective!{Communicate-0002011B}

We were able to find the fine Harrisons, but he didn't really touch those either. Oh well, I guess we will stick with the Kaytee!

He is a darn good eater as he eats tons of fruits and veggies, so we aren't too concerned. He has never had seeds and we rarely feed him any junk food. Overall I would say he is healthier than we are :silly: :silly:!!