NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Woohoo! Our family has a new member!

Hi- I introduced myself a little while back. My name is Jenni and today I brought home a 4 month old CAG. I don't know the gender yet but I think for now I'll refer to my new baby as a "he". I'm stuck on names though. I was thinking either Zazu or Blue. I've got to talk it over with the family. I wasn't planning on bringing one today, but it was meant to be. I've done so much research over the past several months and like so many others before me, now I've got butterflies and am so excited. I've got him in his cage and placed perches at various heights but low and he climbed right up to the highest one and is taking a snooze. He did eat a bit and was good taking food from my hand. Now I get the fun part-all the training! I will post pics later.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing all your knowledge here. It's nice to know I've got somewhere to turn when I need to research or ask questions.

Congrats Jenni on your new baby Cag, you have done the research and now it is time to put all that knowledge to work but if you have any questions feel free to ask as that is why we are here but it looks like you are off to a great start with your new little one, looking forward to seeing some pictures soon.

So I did more research and believe that my Grey is a girl. I took her into the vet for an initial exam and she guessed my Grey was female too based on bone structure. She is a bit underweight but healthy otherwise. She recommended running a gram stain and a cbc just to be sure she's healthy. She was so good at the vet and we impressed the vet when she heard that at the time of the appointment I had only had her for two days. It was awesome! I believe I'm going to name her Kenzie- as in Kenzie from NCIS LA. I'm currently getting samples of a few different pellet diets to see which one she likes best.

She's actually eating really well. She likes the colors of the Zupreem but seems to get frustrated trying to eat it. It's the right size and everything but it seems too hard for her to bite through and too small to hold it with her foot and bite it. She likes Harrison's, Roudybush, and I think it's called Hagen or Tropican or something- the Bird Shop manager recommended it as it was somewhat similar to the half ziploc bag I was given when I bought her. Does anyone have a preference between Roudybush and Harrison's? As far as the pellets go, I've been giving her mostly what I was given with her along with a little bit of one or more of the others. The Bird Shop (which is not where I bought her but as far as I know the most knowledgeable around) told me not to switch her pellet diet for 30 days. I have to do something though because I can't figure out what pellet I was given. What should I do? She is a great eater and so far has been liking everything I've been giving her. My husband teased me last night that she eats better than he does :) ! Too funny.

So when I took her to the Vet she weighed 351 grams. Today less than a week later she just weighed in at 374 grams- true she'd just eaten a big breakfast. I didn't think about weighing her until afterwards. I gave her her second shower since she's been with us. This time I tried putting a wet towel over the divider in the kitchen sink so she could perch on it and used the squirt bottle. She squirmed a bit at first and protested a bit, but then calmed down and seemed to like it.

Kenzie Up Close

Kenzie1.jpg

Whatch'ya doin'?

Kenzie2.jpg

Chillin'

Kenzie3.jpg

Snoozin'

KenzieSnoozin.jpg

Edited by jensgotfaith

Kenzie is a cutie. I like the pic where she is napping too, it looks like she is smiling and content. As far as the pellets, I mix two or three kinds. I learned the hard way with our first parrot. She liked the one we started her on and two years in, they discontinued the brand. It was a fight to get her to change right when we ran out of pellets and didn't have a choice. Ours like the Harrison's better than the Roudybush which is what the breeder started ours on. Our vet carries both brands and recommends the high potency for our grey because of the calcium.

Ohhhh that's a beautiful baby you got there :) Congrats

Twix! Long time no see. :) As you can tell I am happy these days. lol. I found a new CAG for Free! :P That's the good news. Its a hand me down from some people who were leaving the UAE for good. But he's sort of not that social. Like a complete opposite than what my first one was. Anyway, I don't wanna hijack someone's thread. See you around. Just thought I'd say hi.