NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can CAG's live with a frequent traveler?

starlite800

I have a bit of a dilemma. I am going to get an African Grey soon, and I have done months of research, but something never seems to be answered. I plan on traveling the world with my feathered friend, but I am always reading articles that say "African greys are sensitive to small changes in their environment." Could it stand traveling to different environments all of the time, constantly encountering new stimuli with me? Is there some way I could prepare my bird for such experiences and make traveling less stressful for it? Thank you for answering a novice's questions. :)

I am certainly no expert, but the thing that comes to mind for me would be the part of traveling the WORLD....as it is VERY difficult to travel between countries with a bird. At least from what I understand. The legality of taking a bird outside the USA is quite complicated. I honestly believe that an African grey can adjust to change if it is accustomed to change and perhaps your travels are not so far reaching. I am sure others can add more personal experience.

Just going from the US to Canada is time consuming and expensive. Federal travel papers are required along with USDA vet inspections entering and exiting each country and fees. I live on a boarder and looked into taking Jake into Canada. Dogs and cats are easy but birds are difficult.