NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feeding Toucans

Sarasota

I've had a few questions about what Toucans/Aracaris eat compared to parrots (and about poop!). Here's a few photo examples...

It has to be all fresh fruit. Today's meal is papaya, cherries, squash, cucumber, blueberries, banana and Mazuri softbill pellets. I'll also feed apples, mangos, pear, various melon and some grapes. Every so often I'll feed them a little scrambled egg cooked in RPO.

Note: That's one daily portion for two Aracaris. The male is 159 grams, the female 143. They are roughly the size of a Western Scrub Jay. I'd guess they eat double their weight in fruit and pellets everyday.

Their digestive tracts are SUPER fast. What goes in, comes out almost immediately. Yep, that's a pile of blueberry poop at the end of the day under a perch. And, they manage to spray the wall which is about 8 inches away from their cage. And its fruit, so it's pretty sticky. :)

Toucan Food 2.jpg

Toucan Paper Poop.jpg

Toucan Wall Poop.jpg

Wow and we talk about our messy greys, I can imagine that these two birds do indeed make a mess as I can see from the wall, when you only eat mostly fruit it does get messy and it keeps you busy just trying to keep the wall clean much less the paper on the bottom of the cage, bet you go thru a lot of newspaper. I had no idea they ate that much every day, then the phrase "eat like a bird" does not apply for toucans/aracaris for they can put away some food.

Thanks Sara for enlightening us on their dietary habits for I never knew that about them, just thought they were a different type of bird but wow are they different, their digestive tracts are so fast how do they get any nutrients from their food if it goes thru them immediately, oh well I will admire them from a distance as they are not the bird for me but you go Sara.

Wow, interesting! That is a lot of preparation (not to mention being the fruit vendor's best friend). LOL to the poop. I've been waiting for days for the pic... ;0 Considering the size of their cage (saw that pic too) you also have a lot of area of just cage to clean, not to mention the walls, floors, etc. Have you considered putting the formica type stuff they make for bathrooms on the walls? I don't know if that is feasible, but it doesn't look like drywall, plaster and paint would survive!

The cage is "homemade." The netting is standard garden/bird netting. One of the good things about toucans is they don't chew. The bad news is that it's impossible to clean. The best way to deal with it is simply to change it every so often (take apart the panels, re-net, etc.) Not the best design, but the size of the cage makes up for it!

Newspaper has to be changed daily. Twice a day if I have the energy! Otherwise, there is danger of the poop getting moldy. Since there's no grating on the cage and the birds hop around on the floor - must be kept clean! The toucans do bathe once a day - twice a day for the female.

It's a LOT of chopping. The most I can get away with is chopping the night before - never more than a day. Oddly enough, the wallls are pretty easy to clean. A little water/vinegar spray and it comes right off. And the floors are wood laminate. The walls behind the cage are wood paneling (hello, 1950s!) so they wipe pretty well too.

I have to admit. I do worry a bit when I see new aracari owners online, first time bird owners. The babies are MUCH different than older birds as far as behavior and eating habits. They seem too good to be true at first, snuggling and purring (yes, they purr!). BUT, they are for really diehard bird keepers. They are a huge commitment. When hormones kick it, it's not unusal to have an aracari that will do face flying and eyeball removal duty. I had a roommate with a collard aracari that was determined to kill everyone that was near his owner/mate.

Quite the art installment. Your pictures do tell a very vivid story of the digestive process! LOL

Thanks for sharing. We live in such a "drive through" society it pains me to think of how many birds are so quickly discarded when the excitement wears off.

I am not even to the point that I think I could handle more than one bird, regardless of the species. Some days I'm not sure I can handle one! ;) I would think finding a bird sitter or someone to take care of the aracaris in particular would be difficult. That's a huge commitment you have made, and I sure respect you for it!

I would think finding a bird sitter or someone to take care of the aracaris in particular would be difficult.

My job is pretty demanding...so I don't get the opportunity to travel much. Lucky for me, my brother gets only really well with the aracaris. Unfortunately, the parrots are terrified of him. Years ago I had a Mobile Groomer come to the house - and he VERY heavy handed with the birds. Another major learning experience for me. Poor Sondhi has been affected ever since. My brother happens to have the same haircut, body shape, etc. as the groomer. Before the groomer, Sondhi was fine with my brother. After, he panics and throws himself around the cage when he sees him. Poor Burt is afraid of everyone and everything. 25+ years living in a hoarding situation will do that to a bird (and before that, the wild). From all appearances, he had zero socialization. I suspect that's how the sanctuary knew he was "my" bird. When I met him he came right up to me and started eating nuts out of my hand. True love. :)

I have always wanted a toucan. When looking into it, I was told they were very messy and had many different requirements than my greys, so I changed my mind. But it is my pipe dream to own one, so.....I will live it by reading everything I can about yours! I enjoy it so much!

• 2 weeks later...