NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Walter and his new found wild friends

Miffy

So cute! Almost looks like he's asking Walter to come out & play.

It's a little hard for me to wrap my head around parrots being outdoors in the dead of winter because I'm from NE US. I don't remember seeing if you mentioned it. Are you from New Guinea or Australia?

That would be totally awesome to see those birds outside your windows, do you ever see any rose breasted toos and you probably have lorikeets also, though I guess it can get very noisy if you have more than a few show up. I agree with Val, 10 celcius is not cold at all but guess you are looking forward to spring just as we here are looking forward to fall, tired of the heat and it has been a long hot summer to say the least.

Correct me if I'm wrong those are living wild but are introduced species? Like the quakers and cherry head colonies you find throughout the country?

The SoCal flocks are really exciting!! Check this site out: http://www.californiaparrotproject.org/ Some are actually now considered "established' species.

We have 13 species living here...some since the 60s! Red crowned, Lilac crowned, mitered parakeet, etc. http://www.californiaparrotproject.org/id_guide.html

That would be totally awesome to see those birds outside your windows, do you ever see any rose breasted toos and you probably have lorikeets also, though I guess it can get very noisy if you have more than a few show up. I agree with Val, 10 celcius is not cold at all but guess you are looking forward to spring just as we here are looking forward to fall, tired of the heat and it has been a long hot summer to say the least.

Where I live I'm surrounded by Rose breasted cockatoos (or galahs their correct name), corella cockatoos (I think you call them goffin), sulphur crested, yellow tail black cockatoos (winter), gang gang cockatoos in summer. Rainbow lorikeets are always around too. But yeah Galahs are everywhere and worth about $50 here.

Can hand feed the cockies on my balcony. Also have some wonderful kookaburras which I would love my grey to imitate :)

Edited by Miffy

I know the damage 1 parrot can do in about 10 minutes. So I understand how the native species could be a real problem. Especially when I've seen vids of 100's in a single flock.

But our birds are generally small. The male Cardinals, Blue Jays, some weavers & finches are colorful. Other than that, our birds are pretty much shades of brown. Maybe some splashes of subtle color, like Robins. So that might give you some idea of why what you're describing sounds so wonderfully exotic to me! Makes me hope even more that you'll let us see lots of pictures!

And it will be interesting to hear how the African species relates to the Australian birds. Mine talk to the birds outside, especially in the early spring. So Walter might very well pick up the kookaburras language. All I've heard is the mating call. But that could certainly get Walter's attention.

LOL, my guinea pig did! I had one years ago when the kids were small. He lived to the ripe old age of almost nine, which was pretty good for those times at least. He made an eee eee eee squeak that I could imagine Timber doing with gusto. You heard it any time it was time to feed him, or any time you were eating something and he didn't have any.

Correct me if I'm wrong those are living wild but are introduced species? Like the quakers and cherry head colonies you find throughout the country?

No the cockatoos,galahs, corellas, lorikeets etc that I mentioned are all wild and native to Australia.

Do guinea pigs even make enough sound to mimic? Hows that even work?

I babysat my friend's guinea pig when she went on vacation. It made a couple of different sounds. Here's a video example (not mine, just found it on YouTube):

Sondhi makes about two of those noises.