NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Still settling in?

BeeFernandez22

Maverick does not really do a whole lot when he is in his cage as far as playing with his toys. He usually just sits on one of his perches and, if he knows I am home, chirps until I come get him out. Is this just because he is still getting used to his new "home"? He has a ton of toys in there to choose from so it don't think it's likely he dislikes ALL of them!!! :confused:

Yes Maverick is still settling in, remember it takes time for them to start to feel comfortable in new surroundings, its all new to him and he is wanting out to be with you for he feels safer but give him some time and he will start playing with his toys.

Thanks, Judy!! That reassures me a lot!!! I was starting to worry. I try to keep him out as much as possible when I get home from work since he is in there during the day. I just worry he is sitting on his perch doing nothing all day while I am gone :( I don't want him to start plucking or something awful.

Unless you are using a nanny cam or something it's hard to say what he's doing while you are gone. I don't have any experience with babies, but I'm assuming, like their older counterparts, that as soon as he hears you arrive he starts trying to get your attention and stops whatever he may have been doing. That is convoluted, but my point is he may actually be messing with stuff in his cage when you are totally out of the picture! Once I get home, Timber's focus is on me and getting me to come to him. There is evidence in the cage that he has been shredding, etc. while I was gone. That evidence may not be as apparent with your baby.

Unless you are using a nanny cam or something it's hard to say what he's doing while you are gone...

You mean, everyone doesn't have a birdie cam? I certainly do! :)

With both birds - young and old - I found that I had to actually "train" them to accept some toys. At times, the toy will sit untouched and when I move it to a new location the cage, they play with it. Usually, I act absolutely fascinated with the toy...and the bird suddenly is interested. If they show extreme fear, I don't force it. If they are mildly cautious, I will use a clicker and give treats for touching it, playing with it/chewing until they realize it's a good thing.

Before I brought my CAG Gracie home I was advised by some people on the forum to only put a couple of toys in the cage to start out. It sounds like you have much more than that. It may be overwhelming. I would suggest removing some and see if that helps. You also might show Maverick how to play with his toys. When I get a new toy for Gracie I usually interact with it in front of her. She tends to accept and play with the toys more quickly that way.

There is a lot of good advice here, and I'll reiterate that you will eventually see evidence of play when you come home. This shredded, that turned over, etc. Another thing mentioned that can't be stressed enough. Location, Location Location. Parrots in general will ignore toys in one spot and love them in another. Keep reminding yourself that play for Greys especially is a learned skill, not an instinct.

Does anyone have a birdie cam? If so what do you use? Birdie cam would be just the beginning for me. I've for a long time wanted two way video conferencing with my bird while I'm at work. I even want it to have it's own touch interface with entertaining sounds and video. Sadly I'm not a programmer.

I think Judy said it best.

It takes time for them to settle in and some do it faster than others.

Spend as much time as you can talking to them and talk to them like you would talk to a child so they will come to understand what you are saying.