NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My-First-Perch: Which perches to get a fledgling?

FirstPenguin

We've got a fledgling arriving soon and my main experience has been with conures when I was younger and our current bird a senegal. Getting my first medium size bird I'm wondering what the best diameter perches are. I know you want a variety of diameters but what would you consider too small? Is there such a thing as too big?

I'm also wondering if there is an ideal perch type for younger birds who are just learning to climb and get around. My first instinct is rope perches since our sennie can be swung through the air on one and doesn't fly away or mind one bit. Point being they're clearly easy to grip. It's also what we equip her sleep cage with.

Thoughts?

My new Amazon baby prefers a soft rope perch for sleeping, needed a cement perch for nail management and seems to get a better grip on a thinner perch. I have noticed that she does not have super grip strength at this point. I have assumed it was a baby thing...:confused:

Hope this helps!

Good luck on baby coming home.

Seems never ending. I had just felt good about pulling it together for my CAG when we added my son's Green cheek AND my Panama Amazon. I bought ALL kinds of toy making supplies and set up the play trees. Unfortunately, I used up all the supplies, made a bunch of toys and it still looks like my poor birds have nothing! LOL Luckily I love my birds and enjoy making toys....I'm going to be busy.

Congrats on ur new baby! I personally keep all sizes in stormy's cage... she is 10 weeks today and she stays on her cement perch most of the time.. that perch is a large and was specified for African greys... I also have a grape wood perch size medium... and a smaller calcium perch at all different heights so she can explore... its important to offer all sorts of textures and sizes so their feet and legs strengthen ... aswell as the basic wood perches that come with the cage.. and I don't know about babies not having super grip strength... lol mine has quite a grip already.. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Calcium, cement, rope and wooden perch is a great start for a grey, regarding perches. They need all of them. You can't compare them to any other bird. They are soooo different. We all start thinking they are so complex, and we will never figure out what their issues are. Once you understand them, we realize how " simple", their requests really are. Sophie my grey, is the easiest of all my birds. Nancy

Good thread. As a starter, a parrots toe's should just barley go around the perch, [no toe touching] If your baby was in a cage with perches, no problem, if not then put your 1st perch near the bottom of the cage, some Greys are clumsy so don't put any thing below another pearch, [toys included] that they might fall on. As hard as it's going to be, keep very little in the cage to start with, and pad the bottom with a towel at first....Thanks Jay

Good thread. As a starter, a parrots toe's should just barley go around the perch, [no toe touching] If your baby was in a cage with perches, no problem, if not then put your 1st perch near the bottom of the cage, some Greys are clumsy so don't put any thing below another pearch, [toys included] that they might fall on. As hard as it's going to be, keep very little in the cage to start with, and pad the bottom with a towel at first....Thanks Jay

Thanks so much for weighing in.

I've heard of the towel idea before. How long should I do that, or how do I know that he's ready for just a grate with out padding? Where can I get some reasonable priced towels to have enough to do this. I would imagine you'd want to change it daily. I would need at least 7 since I won't have time on a weekday to do wash. I currently have a large canvas drop that I used to drape something. Could that work? I could almost use sections of that once or only wash them once. I think ideally I'd want to use towels as the padding and something more disposable or lighter and easier to clean on top to catch the droppings. Any thoughts on that front?

I am using a polar fleece throw, folded to fit. I put paper on top that gets changed as needed. Saves on the laundry and sharp talons can't get caught. Been working great!

Sounds good thanks for the tips. Any thoughts on what kind of paper to use? Sorry I'm a sucker for details. Is there something specific I can go looking for that comes in a big roll at lets say a craft or hardware store? I'm hesitant to use news print.

I am actually using old "drawings" from an architect...they are PERFECT. The paper is a nice thickness and folds to fit right in. Maybe those flat sheets of unprinted newsprint or packing paper? I think that comes in a flat box and would be a good size.

I am actually using old "drawings" from an architect...they are PERFECT. The paper is a nice thickness and folds to fit right in. Maybe those flat sheets of unprinted newsprint or packing paper? I think that comes in a flat box and would be a good size.

That's kind of what I had in mind. Whatever that stuff art teachers cover tables in and then let 3rd graders scribble on every square inch.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/pacon-natural-kraft-paper/

11503-8009-3ww-l.jpg

I use Cage Catchers http://www.cage-catchers.com/ in all my cages. It's very convenient to order a custom cut size for your catch tray. I've tried all kinds of litter, news paper, butcher paper, etc, and this is by far the easiest, cleanest and most economical way to go. With 11 active cages to clean daily, it's a no-brainer.

No affiliation with them except that I'm a happy customer of theirs.

Regarding the blanket/towel on the cage bottom for newbie birds, use it as long as you hear them falling onto it. In my aviary, I use towels for my babies for about 3-5 days when they go from the brooder to their first perch. Of course, the perch is almost on the cage bottom and most falls are simple trips over the perch. Ask you breeder if he has acclimated your bird to perches. If so, you will only need the 3-5 day use of the towel until they get used to their new cage.