NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How long do cages take to ship???

FirstPenguin

I'm ordering a cage from King's Cage. Leaning towards the European Style Napoleon Model 406, seems to be a good size and quality with out jumping to stainless steel. Anyway, I was wondering what experience people have had ordering from them and how long it takes to deliver. Anyone know where they ship from and how they deliver?

Most companies ship their cages in 2 boxes. The boxes are usually flat. 1 is for the cage and the other is the stand. Most of the time, grey sized cages are pretty heavy. many times it takes 2 people to bring into the house but that depends on how your house is built. If you have a stairway to walk up to front door, you'll need 2 peope. No stairs, then the boxes can be pushed in. But the best way to handle the boxes is with 2 people. The base with its parts are put together. Then the cage is assembled and connected to the base. It's better to have 2 people. It can be assembled together in any order you like. Total weight of the 2 boxes is approx 125 to approx 150 lbs.

As far as where they ship from, they have their merchandise in warehouses. It usually takes about 10 to 15 days to get to you but times can vary. Each company is different.

It doesn't matter if the cage is SS or powder coated.

It's usually UPS or maybe Fedex

Edited by Dave007

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having a cage dilema! Kings cage is out of stock of all of their 306, 406, 506, 305, 405, and 505 models. What you may ask do these have in common? They all sport a 6mm bar size. We were going to order the 306 model but it's out of stock till september. Any thoughts on where i can get one? What would be a good plan B cage. We'll probably upgrade to stainless one day. Kinda wish I had saved more and just started off with stainless. HELP!

I'm telling ya I love this aluminum cage from kings... it all snaps together really easy.. and the dome top leaves a lot of room... and they are pretty.. and extremely easy to clean...its a bit pricey... I'll take a picture of it and post it so u can see it with stuff in it...

We use one of the travel size aluminum cages as a sleep cage. Heavy duty, probably too heavy duty for our use. My girlfriend is insistent we get something bigger.

I'm telling ya I love this aluminum cage from kings... it all snaps together really easy.. and the dome top leaves a lot of room... and they are pretty.. and extremely easy to clean...its a bit pricey... I'll take a picture of it and post it so u can see it with stuff in it...

I ditto this on the aluminum cage. I have a king's dome top as well. It's a nice size and easy for me to clean. I have a powder coated cage that is a "duplex" for my other two parrots. The tray is so heavy that I almost can't manage it by myself. Even the grate is cumbersome. The aluminum is much more managable and doesn't rust.

These are two cages I'm considering as a plan B. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Someone in our local club recommended this retailer. I like that these two don't have that ultra low bottom meant for macaws but still have a wider than usual footprint.

http://www.birdcagesgalore.com/large_Parrot_Cages/P3828DX.html

http://www.birdcagesgalore.com/Decorative_Bird_Cages/RY3628_Fan_Top_Cage.html

I went with this cage which is somewhat new (to me atleast). I like that it's a wide footprint with a raised floor and I literally was ready to order the bigger version and they discontinued it. This site as of today still said "3 sizes" but I called to ask if I can get the 3rd biggest size which the page still mentioned but didn't have a link to order. So turns out it's DISCONTINUED.

http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/SPECIALS/PA5673

PA5673%20450.gif

I told myself that I wouldn't get involved in this thread but I now feel that I would be guilty if I didn't do my duty and give my opinion here.

Lets face it, many new owners of baby greys here aren't buying cages for their parrots. They're buying them for themselves. Designer cages, different colors. Slightly different features. A parrot doesn't care about color. The most important thing about a cage is size and basic quality. There's so many places to buy cages and each says that they have the lowest price. When people who've had parrots and cages periodically look at these sites, tthan realize that it's tricky advertising and they're glad that they never fell into that trap.

Many new owners are thrilled about their new family addition and immediately say that they want the best. All grey/amazon,eckletus/ small cockatoo cages are the same as far as size and shape goes. They really don't care about price. The main thing is buying the right size and shape.. Quality is always discussed by the sellers because of competition. Price wise even simple items like a simple bird carrier was so over priced by one of the companies listed here. . Throughout the years, info has been given out about purchasing good quality cages for very decent prices at certain places but that info goes by the wayside because of so called designer cages. That also applies to many other items.

The outside of a bird cage means nothing. It's what a person puts in the cage that attracts a bird.

Some of the best yet common cages around are powder coated but because of some private bad experiences by others, all of a sudden powder coated cages lose their quality ratings. What comes into the picture next is Stainless steel.

For every person who says their bird chips off the coating, there's at least two thousand that have had no problems. People don't hear those figures because all they wanna talk about is the bad thing that just started 2 weeks before. When people are having no problems with cages there won't be threads starting off about how great their cages are. They're not even thinking about starting that kind of a thread. They only say something on a positive note in a thread where the subject contains bad reviews.

When experienced people give the names of places to buy inexpensive cages, the first thing that comes to mind is *there's gotta be something wrong with that cage because of the price* So they shop around to well known places that have deceiving advertising---Example---BirdCages for Less. This is one of the highest priced companies around. Avian Adventure---Their prices are crazy. There's others.high end sellers too. Some people shop around and find that certain cages are not in stock or discontinud. So, of course their cages must be the best or else they wouldn't be out of stock which is a crock.

Experienced people tell others to check out Ebay who has the largest ( hundreds) seceltion of cages-different quality-different sizes---different colors--different styles--for all types of birds, not just parrots. A huge description of each cage, many pictures of each cage.

I won't say any thing else other than to say that it's really sad to see people getting ripped off. No one seems to wanna save money.

3 cages, same exact cages, different colors, same manufacturer, same online company

Black and Green cages-----$200 ten years ago

White cage---------------------$239 7 yrs ago

These prices included S/H.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/DSCN0196.jpg

[One grey pictured on the same cage ( his) to show size of grey in proportion to size of cage

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/MediumParrotCage.jpg

In the wild, greys and other parrots aren't really interested in the shape of a tree. They're just concerned that it has enough branches to perch on.

Edited by Dave007

I told myself that I wouldn't get involved in this thread but I now feel that I would be guilty if I didn't do my duty and give my opinion here.

Lets face it, new owners of baby greys here aren't buying cages for their parrots. They're buying them for themselves. Designer cages, different colors. Slightly different features. A parrot doesn't care about color. The most important thing about a cage is size and basic quality. There's so many places to buy cages and each says that they have the lowest price. When people who've had parrots and cages periodically look at these sites, tthan realize that it's tricky advertising and they're glad that they never fell into that trap.

Many new owners are thrilled about their new family addition and immediately say that they want the best. All grey/amazon,eckletus/ small cockatoo cages are the same as far as size and shape goes. They really don't care about price. The main thing is buying the right size and shape.. Quality is always discussed by the sellers because of competition. Price wise even simple items like a simple bird carrier was so over priced by one of the companies listed here. . Throughout the years, info has been given out about purchasing good quality cages for very decent prices at certain places but that info goes by the wayside because of so called designer cages. That also applies to many other items.

The outside of a bird cage means nothing. It's what a person puts in the cage that attracts a bird.

Some of the best yet common cages around are powder coated but because of some private bad experiences by others, all of a sudden powder coated cages lose their quality ratings. What comes into the picture next is Stainless steel.

For every person who says their bird chips off the coating, there's at least two thousand that have had no problems. People don't hear those figures because all they wanna talk about is the bad thing that just started 2 weeks before. When people are having no problems with cages there won't be threads starting off about how great their cages are. They're not even thinking about starting that kind of a thread. They only say something on a positive note in a thread where the subject contains bad reviews.

When experienced people give the names of places to buy inexpensive cages, the first thing that comes to mind is *there's gotta be something wrong with that cage because of the price* So they shop around to well known places that have deceiving advertising---Example---BirdCages for Less. This is one of the highest priced companies around. Avian Adventure---Their prices are crazy. There's others.high end sellers too. Some people shop around and find that certain cages are not in stock or discontinud. So, of course their cages must be the best or else they wouldn't be out of stock which is a crock.

Experienced people tell others to check out Ebay who has the largest ( hundreds) seceltion of cages-different quality-different sizes---different colors--different styles--for all types of birds, not just parrots. A huge description of each cage, many pictures of each cage.

I won't say any thing else other than to say that it's really sad to see people getting ripped off. No one seems to wanna save money.

3 cages, same exact cages, different colors, same manufacturer, same online company

Black and Green cages-----$200 ten years ago

White cage---------------------$239 7 yrs ago

These prices included S/H.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/DSCN0196.jpg

[One grey pictured on his cage to show size of grey in proportion to size of cage

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/DaveVP/MediumParrotCage.jpg

In the wild, greys really aren't interested in the shape of a tree. They're just concerned that it has enough branches to perch on.

A lot of you what you're saying is true. Especially regarding the psychology behind peoples research and buying habits. I never thought that out of stock indicated anything good about the cages or indicated a demand for it. I liked it because it had a wide foot print with a raised floor and an extra tier on the play top. Most of the raised cages stop at 32 inch width. I thought that would be good for a younger bird.

Do you feel I was ripped off? This cage costs more than other similar spec cages, I'm sure it's similar in build quality and I'm paying dearly for the drawer unit below. I'm aware of that. For this model the prices were within 50 dollars everywhere I looked and this was the only company I could find that could get it to me in time.

If you were to buy a something close to 40x30 in dimensions what would you buy and where? I posted a link to this cage before buying it and no one said anything. Oh well. Thanks for your opinion.

That's only 32x24. I just said I liked it because it was bigger than the standard 32 wide cage and that's not a play top. I had asked politely what you would buy that had a similar foot print. I wouldn't call that a fair comparison. I'm just trying to navigate an industry with little consumer guidance. I asked a direct question, I would appreciate a direct answer.

A&E cages is another source. You can check their offerings at http://www.aecageco.com. I have a drop-ship arrangement with them, but the shipping cost might offset local deals. They have most everything in stock, in most colors. Their larger cages ship from NJ via truck freight, and they usually arrive within a week. Smaller cages ship UPS.

Kings shipping is basically the same, shipping out of the east coast, with a combination of truck freight and UPS. Due to the lower weight, the aluminum cages can often ship UPS when a steel cage couldn't, as long as they meet box size limits.

I also have experience with Animal Environments cages, but they only offer stainless now - no powder coat products.

A&E cages is another source. You can check their offerings at http://www.aecageco.com. I have a drop-ship arrangement with them, but the shipping cost might offset local deals. They have most everything in stock, in most colors. Their larger cages ship from NJ via truck freight, and they usually arrive within a week. Smaller cages ship UPS.

Kings shipping is basically the same, shipping out of the east coast, with a combination of truck freight and UPS. Due to the lower weight, the aluminum cages can often ship UPS when a steel cage couldn't, as long as they meet box size limits.

I also have experience with Animal Environments cages, but they only offer stainless now - no powder coat products.

Thanks for the input. I just finished assembling an AE cage. I now know why the one I got has been discontinued (I got the one of the last ones). The design, despite being conceptually good on paper, is in fact horrible an near impossible to assemble. It was missing nuts that attach the feeder cup rings and the play top perches and I still haven't fully assembled the below cage storage because the parts don't fit together. a few parts have spots that are missing powder coating. Clearly not scratched off, but rather never coated in the first place. It's junk in my book but seeing as I'm 14 hours away from picking up my CAG, it will do for now.

Nothing passive aggressive about it. It was a clear tap of accountability to you to play a little nicer to people taking their time to help you out.

I appreciate that, i wasn't referring to anything you said. I think your comment was one of the nicer on topic comments I've seen. I was referring to the way Dave answered my question. I've made some sarcastic comments on here and have since resolved to be better with in this community because we're all here for a common interest but we all come from different backgrounds. Unfortunately there are a few bullies on every playground.

I hesitate to jump in here, but I'm going too. I thought Dave's post was very informative for new bird owners (like myself). I took his sarcasm as being directed at the companies who attempt to rip us off, not at the newbies who are looking for items (cages in this instance). I really appreciate the effort he and others here go do in looking stuff up and posting the information.

At any rate, I think it is just a matter of perception, and was not intended to dis you or your purchases.

The most difficult thing about forums, this one and others, is that when people care a lot about something they tend to overreact. Yet, when all is said and done, they are one of the most useful tools for finding and sharing information.

I hesitate to jump in here, but I'm going too. I thought Dave's post was very informative for new bird owners (like myself). I took his sarcasm as being directed at the companies who attempt to rip us off, not at the newbies who are looking for items (cages in this instance). I really appreciate the effort he and others here go do in looking stuff up and posting the information.

At any rate, I think it is just a matter of perception, and was not intended to dis you or your purchases.

The most difficult thing about forums, this one and others, is that when people care a lot about something they tend to overreact. Yet, when all is said and done, they are one of the most useful tools for finding and sharing information.

Well said, but I still feel some of the more senior members are at times hard on people who are coming here having read poor information elsewhere.

Edited by FirstPenguin

Peace out everyone!

FirstPenguin has a right to his opinion! Dave has a heart of gold, but sometimes has difficulty communicating without the sarcasm, and many of us take it personally. I use to feel the same way. Once I got to know Dave better, I learned that Dave can't " sugarcoat" things. He only wants the best for you and your bird. He is on your side, so if you don't like his " tone", don't take it personally, because he doesn't mean it that way. So of coarse Dave will respond " Nancy, I wasn't talking to youi!" of coarse I will respond, I wasn't talking to you either! I was talking to newbies! Nancy