NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Worried about going away...

kashalp

So coming up the last weekend of this month, me and most of my close by friends are going away from Friday AM - Monday early PM. The trip is about 3 hours away and I will not be able to bring my TAG skippy with me. I may have a friend who can stop by possibly Saturday and Sunday to change water bowls and top off food but I'm kinda worried about leaving Skippy for such a long period of time.

Curious to know what the longest period of time everyone has left there grey at home for? He won't be "alone" lol as his cage is next to my IRN kiwis so there will possibly be some bird talk to keep sanity but still...

Also when you go away over night do you leave radio on 24/7? I always leave it on during the day while I'm at work but this will be the first time since I've had skippy that I've gone away for more then just a few hours.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks

Steve

When going away, just my opinion, it is important to have someone come in several times a day, to care for bird. Even justn getting a teenager come in at least four times a day, is important.Working with the teenager several weeks before the trip, is important. No way... is Sophie left with someone who comes to check on her! She will RESPECT her caregiver, or I won't be going away.Its not that hard! If you like them, bird will like them, but the relationship takes time! Nancy

If I'm only going away for the weekend I try to have someone stay at my house with my fur and feathered kids. Even if they aren't 100% comfortable with taking Tango (my bird) out they can at least feed him, change his water and kinda hang out with him. If you don't know anyone who could do that maybe your veterinarian would have a recommendation. I am a technician and almost every place I have worked either has a technician who does pet sitting on the side or we know of good people in the area. When I go away on long vacations, Tango goes to his vet's house for "vacation." Good luck on finding someone. I know it is difficult finding people that are comfortable handling birds.