NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

caged for one week

greymom

I will have a housesitter for one week. She is good with my other pets but not totally comfortable with my grey, Rita. If necessary could Rita spend a week in her cage with fresh food and water everyday. If not I will work with my sitter to make her more comfortable. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Hmmmm. It's a tough call. If she's uncomfortable with the bird, probably safer not to have them interact. But staying in a cage for a week is hard on the bird. Are there any good bird boarding facilities in your area? That might be a happy solution.

Here's the problem the boarding facility will not take her unless I clip her wings and I don't want to do that. I will have the sitter come by again and try to get her more comfortable. She is very hesitant when she puts her finger out for Rita to step up. Before she steps up she usually puts her beak on your finger. She does that very gently but the sitter is unsure of her and withdraws her finger. This confuses Rita. She recognizes the sitter's insecurity and gets angry. I will try to come up with a work around for her. Any ideas?

This is a little tough. But sometimes we just can't make a perfect world for our fids. If you don't have any other option then you don't.

The risk of having a scared care giver dealing w/a flighted parrot & possibly other critters is more than I think I'd want to take. I think I'd opt to load up the cage w/as much activity as possible & smooth out the ruffled feathers when I got home. Rita may not be happy about it, but at least she's safe. And it's probably going to take less time for her to recover than to grow back her flights.

We just recently left Shadow for about a week and it took her 3 whole days before she even WANTED to come out. Luckily my caregiver adores her and let her make the choice.

I think she would have been just as happy being left in the cage.

I agree with Judy. I would suggest leaving Rita in the cage. The most important thing is that both are in their comfort level-zones. Both can enjoy each others company without any incidents. I have left Dayo and Jake in their cages for a week with family members watchig after them her ein our home. That way all were safe and happy without any incidents. We all know a flighted bird can sometimes be obstinate about being put back in their cages. You would not want your non-parrot friend put in that circumstance that could end up harming the both of them.

In my opinion, a bird left at home in their cage is always better than boarding where they do not know the people, place, other birds or activities and are truly in an alien land that may even be frightening to them. :)

Its not going to do any harm to leave your grey caged up for one week if the care giver is uncomfortable with allowing her out, I have had to do the same thing, they are usually so glad to see you when you get back that all is forgiven.

Actually, Judy's very correct. I went to Florida earlier in the year for one week. My caretaker was great with the birds - and reported that my CAG spent most of the time in his cage, even with the door open. I can tell you, in my situation with all my different animals, I wouldn't feel particularly safe having the birds out with someone who isn't completely comfortable - and can react quickly should a dangerous situation arise!

I agree with those that say there are worse things than having the cage door closed for a week. Time will pass quickly, Rita will be safe and I am guessing your sitter will get to know her better. She might even be encouraged to come visit Rita afterward and become close enough to let her out with your supervision and work up to a better experience every time.

To all of you who replied, many, many thanks. You have given me the confidence to leave Rita in her cage. I think I shall be much more able to relax and so will my sitter. Most of all Rita will not become anxious. Thank you so much.