NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tango on his shower perch

itsjustnikki

As weird as this may seem, Tango loves to sit on his shower perch even if there is no shower happening. I think it started from me having him in the bathroom with me when I would get ready. Now he will ask when he wants to sit in the shower so I just go with it.

When he was younger that was the only place he would talk, now it doesn't matter where he is for the most part. So one day I decided to take a video for all my friends who hadn't heard him talk.

I figured I would share with everyone

http://youtu.be/Ct8zTJ_ySZs

Edited by itsjustnikki

I'm glad you enjoyed the video! He is wearing an e-collar because he likes to pick/chew his feathers. So much so at one point he had chewed his secondary flight feathers to the point where they were sharp and hurting him every time he moved his wings. His vet recommended (after going through every test, skin biopsy, xray, etc possible to make sure that the plucking was behavioral and not medical) that he go under anesthesia and have those pulled in order to relieve the discomfort, however after he had to wear the collar. He had also picked out most of his other feathers and he was practically bald. So she had him wear the collar until his feathers came back. Now he wears it when he is going to be in a stressful situation (like me going away) so to try and stop him from plucking.

Ahh... I understand! Sorry to be so nosy but I was wondering if it was something I needed to get for Timber's showering. I know, sounds dumb now! I appreciate the kindness of you and others on this forum in putting up with novices like me and our endless questions. That e-collar doesn't seem to slow him down and he doesn't seem to mind it, which is good to know. It also appears to have worked. He looks great in the video!

I don't mind sharing. We call it his satellite dish...he gets premium channels with that thing. :) I felt like such a bad mom when he started picking his feathers. I thought I was doing everything to avoid it, but I guess not. :(

If anyone has suggestions on how to keep him fully feathered I'm happy to take them!

Edited by itsjustnikki

I LOVED the video. I totally understand his satellite dish. My girlfriend had a special cape designed for her cockatoo that chewed as well.YOU are absolutely NOT a bad mom. Greys chew at random.Never know, who will chew, who won't.Some we can figure out what stressed them. Mostly, who knows? Keep being patient as you are and hopefully things will change. Nancy

• Sad 1