NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I forgot to make an Intro post!

Sachi

Hello everyone!

I joined this forum back in 2010 when I first purchased my baby TAG, Sachi. It's been awhile!

My life is totally different now - when I got Sachi, I lived with a roommate and didn't socialize her properly at all. I thought to myself - a bird that only loves me?? Sounds awesome! Turns out - it's not awesome!

Sachi had a hard time with my roommate and only really would tolerate one of my friends. When I met my (now) boyfriend, she had a very hard time sharing me. She developed a screaming problem and would nail my bf given the chance - no matter how hard we tried to have him do all the fun and nice things and me do all the things that she didn't enjoy.

Long story short, it was all my fault, but Sachi now lives with a girlfriend of mine around 20 minutes away. We still see her now and then and she's actually done quite well in a totally new atmosphere. It seems that only when I'm around does she get mean - she still regurgitates and drops her wings when she sees me! She is sweet as pie to everyone if I'm not around. She also is a huge talker now, and she never was when she lived with me.

Lesson learned. I honestly believe that if I had made more of an effort to have Sachi handled and around other people when she was still very young that she would have been more accepting of others. I pretty much exclusively handled her for the first year of her life - what a terrible mistake on my part.

Anyway, I now live with my boyfriend and we decided, after much discussion, that we would like to have another bird - but one that we properly socialize. He is not a bird person, per say, but he does enjoy them and tried very hard to make it work with Sachi. We had planned on getting a Jardine's Parrot, something small and playful - we put a deposit down on a still-being-weaned baby at the local bird speciality store. I went every afternoon to visit with him.

Well, one day after putting the baby Jardine's away, I was walking around the store when I heard someone (thing) say "Hi!!!" I stopped in my tracks, turned around and was staring into a pair of very intelligent eyes. It was a Yellow-Crowned Amazon. Now I NEVER thought that I would bring another "Big" bird home, but this guy was a ham and a half. My boyfriend came to visit him, and, long story short - we're the owners of a Yellow Crowned Amazon that we've named Banner, after Bruce Banner from the Incredible Hulk. He's huge, green, and already quite the mumbler. He is around 5 months old and readily steps up to anyone. We are going to work hard at keeping him socialized and are prepared for the sh*t to hit the fan when he hits maturity - we're committed to keeping him happy and healthy, no matter how hormonal he gets.

Anyway, thank you for reading this ridiculously long post, and I'd like to stick around even if I'm not the owner of a grey anymore. :)

Welcome back and sad to hear you no longer have Sachi but glad that she has a new forever home.

Those amazons can be heart stealers if you allow them to and this one certainly pulled at your heart strings but it sounds like he is getting along just fine. Now does this mean you are no longer getting the jardine's parrot?

If you look real close you will see we have a great amazon room and you are welcome to be part of this great room on the grey forum.

You your BF and Banner are welcome.

Oh you and banner are now on the honored amazons of the grey foeums list. So check out honored amazons sticky in the amazon room.

Thanks for sharing this story. My girlfriend and I talked at length about a dog, but could never settle on a breed because we're in a city and I grew up with big 100+ pound newfoundlands and couldn't see myself with a yapper that fits in a duffel bag. My girlfriend knew nothing about parrots, she didn't even know they were social pets you could handle like dogs. Long story short we ended up with a our first parrot a senegal (almost got a TAG). Three years later she refers to herself as a "bird lady" and can't imagine a day with out her bird. We're also waiting for our first Grey to fully wean. Point is, if your significant other is open to it I think you'll have a good chance of converting him.

EDIT: My girlfriend would like me to add that she is a "crazy bird lady" not just a bird lady, and that she is planning to get our Sennie tattooed on her.

Edited by FirstPenguin