NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pied Mutation?

BeeFernandez22

My baby CAG has one white toenail. I never thought anything of it, just thought it was kinda cool because it was always easy to tell which was mine. In regular reading just now I read something about this meaning they carry a "pied gene". I tried to figure out what in the world that meant, and couldn't find anything in lingo that I really could make sense of. Can anyone shed any light on this? I just thought my baby was special :) Haha..

Your baby is special because it is yours but occasionally there is a white toenail just like sometimes some greys have some red feathers on them, I don't know what causes this but it serves as another identifying marker that your baby is yours, kind of like a "birthmark" as many of us have.

Dorothy has one white toenail and another that is sort of half white. I was told that when that happens they have the red factor gene. She also has sort of a group of white feathers in the center of her tail (underneath) close to her body, I was told that this is another tell tale sign. I'm truly not sure if this is true, just what I have been told and read. I'ts funny there is a baby male cag at the breeder that I have fallen in love with, I didn't even notice until the breeder said something but he has white toenails too. I keep picking those (wonder what that means!! LOL) I wish I could bring him home!

Yes, something about the red factor gene was mentioned in what I read but, again, it was all pretty "technical" and genetics are pretty hard to understand even with my extensive biology background so I didn't quite understand it. I was just curious. Makes no difference to me what color toes they have :)