NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pecans right off the tree

CLB

Is it safe to assume that pecans in their most natural form are safe for our fids? I have a pecan tree that has never been treated with any chemicals and was wondering if my birds could have the whole nut with the outer hull intact?

As long as you know the pecans have no cracks in them before giving to your birds, they should be fine as no mold could have entered in and started to grow. I will say though, unless you have a large Macaw, smaller parrots will not be able to crack them. :)

Edited by danmcq

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a Georgia girl ;) .....where do I get Texas paper shell pecans?

well in texas silly.

;)

pecans off the tree need to be removed from the husk. just like walnuts or coconuts. my sister had a house with 8 HUGE pecan trees. when my kids were little they loved to go pick pecan out of my sisters yard.

starr-110415-5173.jpg

Edited by carlsjr

I have been getting my pecans from Georgia, after all they are the pecan capital of the world but I might have to try those Texas pecans to see if they are any better than the Georgia ones, you can't hardly beat those I order from Sunnyland Farms, real big, meaty and flavorful, they don't get much better than those.

Dan .... so are you saying that ... Greys arent able (as well) to crack open shells such as a walnut or macadamia nut or even a pistachio with their beaks? So far Ive only seen Marco be successful with a peanut ofcourse and an almond. So I should either precrack them for her or just stop giving them to her all together??

Walnuts are too hard, as well as Macadamia nuts, hazel nuts etc. Most greys can crack open a Pistachio and an almond. Some greys can not crack open almonds and if so then they need to be cracked open a little by snipping off the first 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the tip for them to get it opened the rest of the way to retrieve the nut inside which gives them good activity/challenge as well.

ok awesome so I wont even bother buying the other type of nuts. The pet store had a mix of nice nuts (which I bought) but I find all the bigger harder shelled ones usually on the bottom of the cage in a pile of poo! LOL which I reckon makes sense now! she does like the almonds tho for sure and has just recently been able to really dig into them.