NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Leg Band.. should I remove?

BeeFernandez22

At the time my baby was young enough to have the band put on I chose not to as sometimes it can be a source of irritation or they could possibly get it caught on something. It used to be a way to prove the bird was not a wild caught one but nowadays it is no longer needed for that. I have the band in my possession if ever it is needed.

It is a personal decision so ask your breeder what they recommend doing.

Like everything, there's 2 sides to the coin, but it seems to come down to personal preference. I would definitely ask Georgia for her advice on the subject too.

I meant to ask Gerogia today when I spoke with her and it totally slipped my mind!!! Do you know how she feels about it? Does Chickie still have hers?

Chicken was never banded, so I'm not much help there. Just ask when you pick her up. Georgia is such a wealth of knowledge, I still text her all the time with questions. :). What did you name your little one??

I know she is! I just love her :) I still don't know if it's a boy or a girl so I haven't picked a name yet. Down to wire!!! Haha. My boyfriend and I have joked (lightheartedly so please nobody get offended) that our one dog was going to look at her like a chicken wing so we have been referring to him/her as chicken wing. If it is a girl her name will be Talula but not sure about a boy name yet. Georgia said go with Chicken Wing haha.. My mom said name it Colonel Sanders from the Chicken joke and call it The Colonel! Lol.

My vet mentioned that he had seen many banded birds with broken legs from accidents while wearing the band. Because of the we chose to have the band removed. Our guy is microchipped instead. Totally a personal call though, there are two sides to this story, and it is not an easy decision.

I know she is! I just love her :) I still don't know if it's a boy or a girl so I haven't picked a name yet. Down to wire!!! Haha. My boyfriend and I have joked (lightheartedly so please nobody get offended) that our one dog was going to look at her like a chicken wing so we have been referring to him/her as chicken wing. If it is a girl her name will be Talula but not sure about a boy name yet. Georgia said go with Chicken Wing haha.. My mom said name it Colonel Sanders from the Chicken joke and call it The Colonel! Lol.

We call Chickie "chicken mc nugget" and "chicken" all the time. :)

My vet mentioned that he had seen many banded birds with broken legs from accidents while wearing the band. Because of the we chose to have the band removed. Our guy is microchipped instead. Totally a personal call though, there are two sides to this story, and it is not an easy decision.

My vet has seen the same, a couple of greys that actually chewed their leg off while stuck on a toy in teir cage when their owners were at work. All 3 of mine were removed for safety.

Your decision but if safety is a concern have it removed as I know of several birds who have caught those leg bands on toys. I have rescued a Senegal who got caught on cage wire (while it's cage mates tried to save it from me OUCH) and helped a Molluccan who got hers caught on a toy (she was brave and stoic), don't know how long she was trapped but the leg was swollen when I found her. Our Vet at the Sanctuary does suggest removing them to avoid this type of injury. With micro-chipping available the bands loose value, some are very difficult to trace anyway.

the day i got luna i took her to a avian vet to get her checked out. the first thing he recommended was to remove the band, he see's birds with injuries frequently from the band getting caught on something. so i had him cut it off.

Jasper wasn't banded at all. The place I got him frowns heavily on bands so I didn't even get one. I asked if he was going to come with a hatch certificate or something but aside from the sales papers I only got his DNA certificate. I did have the band removed from my GCC but it was crimped and looked to be too much of a safety risk.

I was just talking to my husband about this. We are rehoming a 25yr old CAG and will be picking him up next week. He has a band and we were at a bird store yesterday and while we were there a Macaw got his band caught on a toy. He was pretty freaked out. So I think I will have it removed.