NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question on beginning training

aw64

Hi everyone, can anyone give me some tips please, Iv got Alfie 18 weeks old on Saturday very friendly little chap we have started some basic training mainly when on my lap, will do a foot shake (hand shake) to my command of 'how do you do' and will do half turn responds better to head scratch rather than treats at the moment, my question is how do I get him to stay on a perch to do these things as soon as i put him on perch he flys to me I put him back and this goes on and on, his even mastered getting round to the middle of my back knowing I cannot reach him, its funny but would love to do some training with my hands free to be able to introduce target and clicker.

Watched lots of vidios all birds seem to stay on perch, they cant all have had wings clipped.........can they, I dont want to do this I love to see him fly but would love to see him stay from time to time.

You need to make it reinforcing to stay on the perch. If you are using a clicker - click for staying on the perch one second (reinforce), then two (reinforce), etc. It may take a couple of sessions, but eventually he'll see the connection.

And Nancy's right. He's just a babe. Take it slow and don't worry about progress as much as making a connection/bonding with your little one.

Edited by Sarasota

Training can be a great way to interact with your baby. The key now, however, is bonding and building a relationship. It sounds like your bird adores you. That's a wonderful start. I would recommend getting some training videos or books by Barbara Heidenreich. She is a well respected bird behaviorist and uses positive reinforcement training methods. I'm getting ready to invest in some of her materials myself. My CAG is one year old now and we haven't done much formal training. I've just been bonding with her. She is a more shy and sensitive grey, and I didn't want to rush her at the beginning. Now we are at a place where training will be fun for both of us. Good luck and welcome to the greyforums family.

... in fact sometimes feel he is stuck to me with glue lol.
I call that "Velcro Birdie." I've got one too. Beautiful day. The TAG and the Toucans are in the aviary...and my CAG wants to sit inside with me on top of the computer screen. Big dork!

Steps up really good from in his cage, on top of door or where ever he is, steping down also good but always decides when he is staying with me if he thinks I'm going to move him off me from my hand he goes up my arm and will end up in the middle of my back where I'm sure he knows I can't reach! lol

haha yes mine used to hide in the middle of my back too. I would have to quick spin him off and he'd fly to his stand. I found a stern "stay on your stand" and if he did gave his fav treat cashew. if he flew off he got nothing. if he flew off more than 3x he'd get a time out in his cage away. few days he'd stay on his stand longer and longer. now unless I'm eating something yummy or call him he stays on his play stand. worked for me.