NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Scream!!

Wulfgeist

Made me jump! I've heard Jasper scream before when he's on his playtop battling one of his toys. He started doing it again today but while he was hanging on his Lots of Knots toy. Several times I had to check and make sure his foot wasn't caught or anything. No, he's just playing I guess because then he starts whistling and kissing at the darn thing. To give myself a little peace of mind I swapped that toy out with another. This one is plastic and wood, no fibre bits to get toes caught in. He jumped right on it and is attacking the wood slats right away, turning them into toothpicks. :rolleyes:

I guess this must be a normal thing when they get wound up and playing? I guess it will freak me out until I learn the difference between the playing scream and a real "I need help" one. The latter I honestly hope I never hear.

LOL!!!!!! Nothing like the Pterodactyl coming out in greys during an intensive play session. Thanks for sharing this. :)

I never knew what you meant about the Pterodactyl scream until today. Jake was on a tear flapping his heart out while holding his perch with a death grip and let out a scream. He scared himself doing it. Unfortunately I have heard the I'm hurting scream. He let one out when he was chipped and it about broke my heart.

It helps that I am half deaf in my right ear! Screaming doesn't affect me. It also helps me at work when I am charge, and people call and complain.Seriously, most people at work know I have a hearing problem. Most of my coworkers will respond, when I tend " to ignore" people. They will tell them " Nancy can't hear you all the time". Talk into her left ear. If she continues to ignore you...then she doesn't want to hear what you have to say! Nancy

The first time Shadow screamed like that I was out of town and my mother in law informed me that Shadow was hurting herself on a toy and screaming in pain! Once I came home, I experienced the scream and it definitely was not the toy! lol

That is a funny story of all your greys screaming with delight. With my timid little fellow, it will surely scare the dickens out of me when I hear it for the first time. I know we will get there. Glad to think about all the rowdy play from your flock.

Marco does what I call schizoid cussing when battling his toys. He'll let out the pterodactyl scream with others thrown in for good measure and then in the next breath, rub his head on them as if asking for scritches. Equal parts terror and delight for me, all delight for him.

I never knew what you meant about the Pterodactyl scream until today. Jake was on a tear flapping his heart out while holding his perch with a death grip and let out a scream. He scared himself doing it. Unfortunately I have heard the I'm hurting scream. He let one out when he was chipped and it about broke my heart.

So not to derail my own thread..but I've been pondering getting him chipped..I thought they put them out for a bit to do it? Poor Jake. I'm not sure which would be worse, being knocked out or actually experiencing the pain of the procedure. I guess he did squawk at the vet for his wellness check since he wouldn't behave he had to be toweled.

My CAG Gracie is generally pretty quiet, but on occassion when she has energy to burn, she takes to flight and buzzes the room with that Pterodactyl screech/roar. It scares the bejeezus out of me. I can't say it is even a remotely pleasant sound, but I know when she does it she is having fun. I just hope I won't need a pacemaker as a result!

Parrots are not humans or k9's or felines! Giving anesthesia is at best a 50/50% chance of losing your parrot!!! I personally seen as many die as live. I don't know how many times this has been said "A parrot is not a Kid"!!!!!

My three parrots are all micro-chipped. My first parrot to be micro-chipped is my TAG, she weighed 290g. I total the avian vet that I did not want my grey put to sleep even if it was their policy as I believe to anesthetize for such a simple procedure was more harmful. When I took my CAG in to be chipped, I learned that they had changed their policy, they no longer anesthetized parrots for micro-chipping. My zon was chipped last and not one of my parrots had any problems during the procedure or since. Micro-chipping is a personal choice . I do it because I can always prove that my parrots are mine even though they look like all the other parrots of their species.

Jayd... we are happy to hear, getting chipped no longer needs general anesthesia.Please don't scare parents about anesthesia. Its not a 50/50.You have no idea! Anesthesia is not like it was years ago. Intubation. Anesthesia is very light now, not requiring intubation. Sometimes just IV sedation. Zoey needed deep teeth cleaning. It was done under anesthesia as it was a painful procedure.Anesthesia is meant to prevent a painful procedure. Nancy

Jayd... we are happy to hear, getting chipped no longer needs general anesthesia.Please don't scare parents about anesthesia. Its not a 50/50.You have no idea! Anesthesia is not like it was years ago. Intubation. Anesthesia is very light now, not requiring intubation. Sometimes just IV sedation. Zoey needed deep teeth cleaning. It was done under anesthesia as it was a painful procedure.Anesthesia is meant to prevent a painful procedure. Nancy

Nancy, you don't know what your talking about when it comes to Birds!!! Your a human nurse!!! Who's Zoey? Birds don't have teeth!!! Copy==Parrots are not humans or k9's or felines! Giving anesthesia is at best a 50/50% chance of losing your parrot!!! I personally seen as many die as live. I don't know how many times this has been said "A parrot is not a Kid"!!!!!I'm tired of you giving mis-info!!! You might be a good nurse but you need to brush up on the parrot world.. I'm tired of you PMing me, I'm tired of you wanting me to join you so we can argue on the forum. You've done a good job on your thread in "4 the birds", stick to what you know about....Nancy, there's 2 sides to every story, so far I've been quiet, but know more!!!! Jayd To all members, I apologize, for my out burst, but you don't know whats been happening behind the scenes.

Jayd... There is NOTHING happening behind the scenes. As far as PMing you, I respond to YOUR PM's.Again... YOU have NO idea about anesthesia. Stop pretending to know! Who is Zoey? My pup. Just as important as my birds. You met her in my photo room. Nancy

Thank you Nancy.

Jayd... Giving Misinfo... is NOT giving info you agree with! GET over yourself! NOTHING say's you are right! When you tell a paront they are being " abusive", and get flak... you back track on " what you meant!" Maggie talks, after 40 years of taking care of birds! about how your face is "scarred", .I have to say, I disagree with training those birds. No scars here. NOT allowed! STOP thinking your way, is the only way. RESPECT others ways, especially as they have been successful. Nancy

Hi, for those interested, here's the research I did for the University about 2 years ago,.

• Small, young birds should not be fasted preoperatively due to poor glycogen storage in the liver. Adults should only be fasted 2-4 hours.
  • It is very important that an accurate weight be taken to calculate dosages.
  • Avoid hypothermia, which depresses the respiratory system. If possible, a circulating warm water blanket should be used.

ANATOMIC CONSIDERATIONS

• The larynx is at the base of the tongue and is easily visualized; All birds large enough should be intubated whether or not gas anesthesia is used.

• The air sacs provide 4-6 times the lung capacity and the tidal volume is larger than mammals of comparative size (about 15 mL/kg). Air sac rupture can occur with over-inflation.

• The diaphragm does not completely separate the thorax from the abdomen; Therefore, positive pressure ventilation needs to be provided whenever the abdomen (or thorax) is opened.

• The bird must be positioned so that the breast can move inward and outward without restriction to allow the air sacs to fill.

• Because the lungs are attached to the ribs, and it is the movement of the ribs that acts as a bellows to fill the lungs, the bird will suffocate if the ribs are disconnected from the lungs.

• With gas anesthesia, induction and recovery are more rapid since gas exchange occurs both on inspiration and expiration.

• Drug

Isoflurane
    3-4% for induction
    5-2% for maintenance
    Maintenance requires the use of a calibrated vaporizer recommended
    Halothane
    2.5-3.0% for induction
    1-2% for maintenance
    Maintenance requires the use of a calibrated vaporizer

Drug
    Dosage/Route
    Species/Comments
    Butorphanol
    2-3 mg/kg IM Q 4-6 hrs.; 1 mg/kg IM Q 4-6 hrs
    African Grey Parrots/Psittacines: Reduces Isoflurane requirement; Heart rate reduced but no apnea; Respiratory rate increases

Ketamine/Meditomidine

3-5 mg/kg(K) + 50-100mcg/kg (M) IM

2-4 mg/kg (K) + 25-75 mcg/kg (M) IV

Raptors: Induction 2-7 min. IM and 10-30 seconds IV; Induction period calm, respirations regular; Owls are especially susceptible to anesthetic effects; Spontaneous recovery in 10-20 minutes; Reversal with atipamezole –very rapid

3-7 mg/kg (K) + 75-150 mcg/kg (M) IM

2-5 mg/kg (K) + 50-100mcg/kg (M) IV

Psittacines: Same induction and recovery times as raptors

Jayd... Giving Misinfo... is NOT giving info you agree with! GET over yourself! NOTHING say's you are right! When you tell a paront they are being " abusive", and get flak... you back track on " what you meant!" Maggie talks, after 40 years of taking care of birds! about how your face is "scarred", .I have to say, I disagree with training those birds. No scars here. NOT allowed! STOP thinking your way, is the only way. RESPECT others ways, especially as they have been successful. Nancy

ROFLMAS Sorry Nancy lol, That was a funny story nothing more than for amusement...lol This post is ot!!!! lol There's no scares on my face..lol My face might be ugly, but there's photos of my face on this forum, check them out, no scares...

Edited by Jayd