NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

TAGs when you have children in the home

Pookamama

Hi!

Here's the deal. We have been looking into a parrot. My husband had one as a teenager, and as we are not having any more children, we thought we'd consider this time in our lives for a parrot. So, in the weeks of reading about breed traits I cannot keep away from the African Grey. I saw one in a pet store and it blew me away with its deep stare.

So I am here to ask grey owners if a young TAG could work in our home. Or possibly a rehome who is used to kids, if we can find one.

Our kids are ages 2 through 7. I fully understand this bird will be primarily my husbands and my responsibility and we the primary caregivers, the bird would be around the kids all day, however. As I am a stay at home mom I have been picturing working on training the parrot, having the parrot out on its play stand or just near me while we hang out or do chores.

I have spoken to various people who have said if a grey is raised in an exuberant house the bird should adapt just fine if it is healthy and cared for. Then I read other places that greys need quiet and are disturbed by young children. Then I read more from people who owned greys with children and had great happy birds. I do understand that birds have different personalities but as there are no available Timneh babies in Oregon I don't think we'd be able to meet the bird ahead of time, and if it would be a baby its personality could change through maturity.

Having kids I understand that young things go through phases, sometimes very long phases, where they can be total brats and you need to be consistent, loving, consistent, and try to read into problems to solve them because most of the times they have reasons and understanding the reasons is the key to working with the behavior. So I am willing to be patient with issues that come up and come ask the parrot people for help!

So here I am looking for more input. I have found a breeder that really seems like she does a fantastic job with her birds and they will be ready in a couple months. So here are my questions for you:

Has anybody with a grey (particulary one from a young age) had to give them up due to issues with the kids? What were the issues and what did you try to do to resolve them?

How old was your bird when you got it, and how did you introduce the bird to kids?

How does your bird do with your kiddos?

How often do the kids handle the bird?

Does your bird have free reign of the house? How much out of cage time?

What are the guidelines you have for the kids interacting with the bird?

Is your bird flighted? I am really interested in having a flighted bird and clicker training but nervous about a kiddo leaving a door open and losing the bird!

How painful are TAG bites? It seems from my reading they do go through a few stages where they are nippy (seems most parrots do} so in the likely case bites happen I,d like to know how much t hey hurt!

Has anybody had issues with a bird you had from a young age becoming aggressive toward other family members when around you? How did you work through it?

Do you let your parrot sit on your shoulder?

I think that's it for now, unless you want to throw any helpful tidbits alongside of that.

Hi again Diana

As I read your post you are asking some very good questions about greys and kids and I am sure you will receive many post from members who will answer your questions.

Greys are like people each with their own personality.

I do have a CAG and not a TAG. They say a TAG is more easy going than a Congo so I will let a TAG owner answer most of your questions.

I will say that a lot will depend on how and how well your grey is socialized.

Hello! I’m pretty new to the forums and have only owned my TAG Skippy for just under 2 months but I have a bit of other bird experience so ill give this a shot and answer the questions that I can :)

First of all, most bird bites hurt! The idea is to watch for the warning signs and not get bite, but if it comes down to it be deliberate, calm and steady and don’t pull away as I’m sure you’ve already read. Most birds don’t want to hurt you and will give you plenty of warning before a full blown bite occurs. Even if they wrap there little beaks around your hand/finger, that isn’t necessarily a bite and you shouldn’t be afraid of that. Keep in mind that they use their mouths like hands so a hint of grabbing you with the beak might not be a bite at all. Watch for signs such as clicking, growling, tight feathers, or anything that appears aggressive. You will know a warning sign when you see it. Don’t be discouraged if you do see them. Simply walk away for a few minutes and try again.

My TAG Skippy was 5 years old when I got him and I exposed him to the entire family including my 9 year old son almost immediately. We all started with "cage time" talking with Skippy and letting him learn our voices but since I was going to be the main care giver nobody else in the family really held him for a couple weeks except me until he became 100% comfortable with his new environment. Skippy came to me from a home that the owners mostly just let him have run of the house 24/7 with not very much handling so that with his age made for a bit more challenging acclimatization period then most who purchase birds as babies. IF it were me and a new born baby I would for sure try my best to expose my bird to as many new people and faces I could asap.

Skippy is gets about 3-4 hours a day so far out of his cage and in that time is handled by me or other people about 1-2 hours of that time. The rest of the time he spends in his play area or on boings with his bird buddy Kiwi, my other Indian Ring neck parrot. As for my 9 year old son he handles him whenever he wants as long as I’m in the room. That’s pretty much the only guideline I have and I always encourage my son to talk to Skippy and give him his "cookies".

I am a new TAG/African Grey owner myself so I don’t have the most experience with them as most others on this forum but I really believe with a combination of the right bird, some quality time and effort your entire family will be blessed to share a house with a grey. They make tremendous pets and really do become part of the family.

Best of luck  Hope that info was even just a bit helpful.

Steve

First of all Welcome and second let me praise you for asking questions first. I have both a Tag and some Cag's each one is unique in personality, tolerance, fears, likes & dislikes. As you have children you already know how each of them differ in abilities & responses to your leads. Only you know if your kids will show respect towards a bird that can hurt them but needs daily care and play. My kids grew up with birds cats & dogs so I can tell you it worked for us but at that time we had two Amazons rather than Greys.

We did pet sit some cockatiels for a couple weeks while my sister was out of town. The kids were great about giving the birds their space, were very curious about them. Since the 'tiels weren't very hand-friendly we only let my oldest son hold one after they'd been there for a couple weeks and we knew he could do well. In general with our pet rats, animals that we meet, cats and dogs owned by relatives, they are gentle and try to connect with the animal with kindness and cheerfulness. We visited a bird store with all four of them and they did amazing. They were all very curious about the birds. They all (except the two year old) held two caiques. My girl was bashful but overcame her fears after a few minutes.

Hi, I have both a TAG and a CAG. My TAG, Ana Grey, I have had since she was 4 month's old. She will be 4 years old this month. My Ana Grey is a very self-assured grey. She is fearless. I attribute her great personality to her breeder who socialized and played with her babies all the time. Ana Grey is not normally a biter and loves to eat off of my dish and sit on my shoulder. I am a grandmother and live alone but I do have my three-year old grandson over all the time for overnight visits. I have three parrots who are all flighted and out of their cages all time. Ana Grey is the only parrot I let close to my grandson as he is a normal three-year-old and loves to touch. My CAG. Sterling Gris is 1 1/2 years old . I have had him since he was 5 months old. Frankly, Sterling is a fraidy cat and screams when he is threatened, which is all the time when someone other than me is within 3 feet of him. My zon, Louie, is a re-home and is 4 1/2 years old and no one touches him, not even me unless he wants it. He is a biter.

So my answer to your questions: It depends on the grey and its own personality and only you/hubby as the grey's parront(s) know how a grey (once you know the grey), will act around kids/people. Only you/hubby as a parent will know how each of your children will act around a parrot so only you can figure out if your grey and kids can live happily ever after. To me you sound like a very caring parront/parent so I say, give it try and with your sensitivity to your kids and animals you will find a mutually agreeable compromise for all.

I also commend you on your research. some people get in over their heads. I have a 4 year old TAG named Zuri. I have to start by saying a parrot is probably the most challenging pet a person can have. I have had cats dogs, pigeons, rabbits and aquariums. he also is a great pet but everything you learned with children will help raise a parrot as well. he's given me scares, love, and companionship but also sometimes grrr moments just like a child would.

one thing you should remember that I did not know when I got him was the difficulty in finding a vet who knows anything about parrots. I don't know where you live but in my experience is very important. I have to drive far to get to his vet and they charge mod since he is an exotic. not sure if this will be a factor but something to consider.

I found at least with mine he's not exactly great with strangers or kids. he doesn't bite but I've had a few bites over the years so kids around one should be a consideration. because they hurt! but I'd imagine if you started with a grey young with kids would definitely adapt. I also was always told Greys were loud mine is quiet but same time I find if it's loud in the home the parrot will be louder. no proof of this but my common sense tells me it be true.

as for flighted well you'll find this is a touchy subject with whom you ask. I have had mine flighted and clipped in the last 4 years. life is easier clipped with it. but is the bird truly happy? what I've been struggling with so I'm trying the last 3 years being fully flighted.

hope this helps