NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tropican Lifetime Parrot Granules?

kashalp

Anyone here have any experiance with the Tropican Lifetime Parrot Granules for grey? i tried a search and only one result was found of a user that actually fed them. It was suggested to my by my local pet shop as the best they carried. Considered driving the distance and switching to Harrisons but if the tropican stuff is a respectacle brand with no known issues i will stick with that.

link to food in question: http://hagen.com/usa/birds/addinfo/tropican.cfm

Thanks

Steve

Like many other brands Hagen is a good brand but it's possible that your bird may not like granules. Many times, parrots will ignore certain ones in favor of another. it's a trial and error situation. I think that if you contact Hagen, they'll send out samples of their different foods. Also try Lafeber foods. I know for a fact that they will send a huge variety of foods, even ones you don't ask for.

My Amazon and my lovebird both eat Tropican. They love it, and it smells delicious. (I've tried it - it's not bad, but not as good as it smells.) My Grey wasn't interested in Tropican, so he eats Harrisons. (He shares it with the dog, which gets expensive....)

Lol k thanks. I guess since there is nothing negative being said about it I will stick with it for a while since SKippy seems to be enjoying it.

One question on the diet. Do you also provide some high quality seed mix and unsalted nuts such as almonds, peanuts, cashews, pistachios etc.? The reason I ask, is a pure pellet diet is not a total diet in and of itself. Of course I assume you are also providing plenty of fresh veggies as well. :)

One question on the diet. Do you also provide some high quality seed mix and unsalted nuts such as almonds, peanuts, cashews, pistachios etc.? The reason I ask, is a pure pellet diet is not a total diet in and of itself. Of course I assume you are also providing plenty of fresh veggies as well. :)

Yes, yes and yes :) lol well to the 2nd question almonds and peanuts are a yes. Havent tried cashews or pistachios yet. Also until recently i always thought fruit to be more benefical which we eat alot of in our house... i now know i was incorrect, but vegetables are not as popular in our house so having a good variety on hand 24/7 doesnt come around to often. Which veggies do you find to be most beneficial for greys if you were only going to keep 2-3 on hand at all times?

Carrots are always good to have around and also get some leafy greens such as kale, mustard and collards, also the tops of beets are nutritious also, sweet potatoes is another good one to offer, some greys love those sugar snap peas, the ones you eat the shell, you can usually find small bags of some of these veggies you can get for your bird even if the rest of the family won't eat them.

The only vegetables my TAG will eat are sweet potato (cooked), carrots (fresh or cooked), broccoli (fresh or cooked), and sweet peas (fresh). I think it is an individual bird preference, just like my kids were. I've tried a lot of them and these are the winners. I can also slip some of the ones he won't eat plain into birdie bread or a cooked combo (chop type). Also like a child! If he doesn't notice it he will eat it if combined with something he does like. As I'm sure someone else pointed out, he is a lot more likely to "try it" if I'm eating it right in front of him.

Judy and Timbers mom hit some favorites on the head. Yams/Sweet Potatoes, Carrots (raw and/or cooked), 15 bean mix fully cooked ( you can freeze can little baggies), leafy veggies like Dandelion, Kale or mustard greens, broccoli raw. Alos they like eggs scrambled boiled etc. with the shell chopped up and cooked in it (good calcium source) Chicken meat and bones, Sharp Cheddar Cheese. I always put some Red Palm Oil in eggs or other cooked items which is a necessity for greys, one of their staples in the wild is the red palm fruit.

Skip the canned which can have added salt and or sweeteners. Frozen vegies are easy but be sure to check the label for salt. You could try a bag of stir fry vegies or a vegie blend and just pick out a few. Jake is a stinker when it comes to vegies but we have discovered that he likes his carrots cooked, his broccoli raw, sweet potato as dried strips and doesn't like anything that feels wet or cold.