NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

really rough day

katana600

Java is a tough little cookie, she has had no interest in the soft warm foods as our three greys have had. Almonds, an occasional pine nut or pistachio seem to be the only "bribes" or comfort foods she has accepted. I did get scared about giving her a syringe of liquid meds. Her first dose of antibiotic was an injection and as the vet was explaining the tiny syringe and methods I asked about making sure to feed her a certain way and he said that feeding is different from this and not to worry about aspiration because it was such a tiny amount. When faced with something I don't particularly relish, I try to think about what is the best time of day for me and for Java in this case. Then, I remove all other stressors, like putting the cat behind closed doors and just having me "centered" and calm. I visualize what I would like to see happen and try the easiest route first but have all the tools laid out for toweling, the meds measured and ready, the countertop cleared and my battleground and plan is prepared. It is a step one-two-three kind of thinking through the best possible outcome. My husband calls that "analysis paralysis", LOL. Then, when she has just let me give her the meds a little easier each day, I am just euphoric that yesterday she was so cooperative. Six years from our introduction to parrots, I am still totally in awe at their intelligence and abilities.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to make a point to say that Java is not an African Grey. She only weighs 136 grams and is a red bellied parrot. I only mention that because the med dosage etc that are tiny amounts of liquid for her would be different for even a TAG. None of us would be giving our flock meds without a doctor, but I just don't want to take a chance that I would unintentionally mislead someone new just reading through posts. It looks so good now, Java just takes her antibiotic without chasing or toweling her. I am still a little bewildered about what would cause such a dramatic drop and the behavior she had late Thursday night. I keep going over it with my daughter who was there and she is sure Gilbert didn't have a chance to bite her head and she is sure Java flew to her and vomited first before swinging back to Gilbert's cage when I was trying to catch her to see why she was vomiting. I am ever so relieved she reacted so well to the antibiotic and she is back to normal. She is not nearly as brazen and naughty as usual and she makes a wide berth around Gilbert's cage. Perhaps she just associates it with when she first got sick and it is a coincidence, but if it promotes peace and distance between the two of them, I am happy about that. Thanks again for all the kindness and encouragement, that is such a comfort.

I've taken Java back to the vet today. I have been closely watching what looked like a tiny discoloration between her eye and ear, but above the ear. When the vet called to ask about her progress after a couple of days, I told them I was watching this spot they said if it changes, bring her back in to look at it. It got a tiny bit bigger but was still smaller than a half grain of rice. Last night when we went to do her bed time, it was spread over the side of her head and was sticky. It doesn't look like blood, but she let me look into her ear and it doesn't look like any discharge from there either. Since her antibiotic would finish today, I didn't want to take any chances so I took her in to the vet. He said it is a mystery. There is some irritation on her skin, but no break in the skin. He provided another five days on the antibiotic just because she responded to it so quickly and her white blood count is up for some reason. He said in all his years in avian practice he has seen only two ear problems, it is not probable given his exam showed nothing in her ear. All in all her behavior is similar to normal and she is eating so this may remain a mystery. Glad to have a chance to take her in to the vet for reassurance before weekend hours. So far so good.

Katana, I am so sorry to see this thread and realize what you have been going through while I was dealing with Gryph. I'm sorry I didn't see it sooner and you KNOW that my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope that with treatment and all the love and care she gets from you she will make a full recovery. One thing I've learned is how much will these birds have to survive and how strong that really does make them.

I've had to administer antibiotics/pain meds before for my birds, and I was really worried about using a syringe (even though I've handfed before). I actually found it pretty easy by using a teaspoon instead and mixing the antibiotic with orange juice. My birds go crazy over orange juice and they will drink it from any kind of device. I just fill the teaspoon with the mixture and encourage them to drink out of the spoon until it's gone. They do the work so there is no worry about aspiration. It's worked pretty well for me and they don't seem to realize what's going on :) Once when I was administering pain meds (my clumsy bird flew smack into the wall and bruised her keel and wing), the meds worked so quickly that my bird realized the "orange juice" was the source of her pain relief. She then wanted to be spoonfed orange juice all day long ;)

Syringe feeding meds, need to be taught by the vet. Even when a baby comes home, is supposedly off syringe feedings, but desires more, give baby a spoon feeding. I believe 100% in supporting the oral stage. NEVER by syringe, unless you have the experience. Kiki came home at 16 weeks, but continued to need " oral" feedings for another six months. Off a spoon. Nancy

While we were at the vet, he washed her head. Since then there has been no recurrence. It is a mystery. I don't think it could be a reaction to meds because it showed up just as we got home from the first vet visit. It is likely that in the first vet visit she was struggling so, she may have broken a tiny blood feather. Then, it didn't change for a couple of days so maybe when she was feeling a little better she was scratching that spot and started it up again. It never looked like blood and it was sticky and wet on Friday night. But, it has not come back. Thank goodness. I will start experimenting with orange juice on a spoon. All my bigger birds have been excellent at taking meds. Java is not only small but she also prefers hard, dry food and is a dunker so if I put something on her pellets she would dilute it in her water. I have never had to give her meds in the six years she has been with us so I hadn't thought much about it. She seems all perky and back to normal and has been happy to be out of her cage on my shoulder and is interacting with everyone again. I will try all sorts of stuff with her in the coming weeks to see if I can find something to spoon feed her in the event we have any more issues with giving meds. Thanks so much for all of the good ideas. I don't know how I would manage to stay calm and focused without all of you.

Once the vet washed her face and head, there were no more spots or stickiness. It seems that in her struggle on the initial visit, she may have broken a tiny little blood feather and then was scratching it after she came back home. It was worth going in a second time, especially since we had no clue what started all this. As for the little birdie hug, she is not in the mood. LOL. In six years she has been so sweet and accepting even of vet visits and annual blood work. This time is different and she has been avoiding me and refusing to come out for playtime or for her night time snuggles. She stands on her boing and her eyes pin and she seems to think about coming out but she ultimately refuses to come out of her cage. She is eating well but she refuses any treats from my hand. The little stinker. If I put her treat in her dish, she will go take it and eat it, but anything I hand to her gets the toss. She will get over it in time but she is letting me know that she did not like the events of her past two weeks. I think she and Gilbert are planning an overthrow of the current regime. Funny though, when she is refusing to come out, I can scratch her head and lean in to the cage and give her a little kiss on the head and she makes kissy sounds back at me. She has just decided that coming out of her cage right now is not an option. It makes me wonder if Gilbert did make contact that night, but all other evidence points to that not happening.