NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Cooking dishes and cleaning with IQAir HealthPro Plus air Purifier

Casper26

I understand that you shouldn't cook with non stick pans and that it's dangerous to the birds. I do have a IQAir HealthPro Plus to clean and protect the air(purifier). Here's the link if you want to check it out http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/iqair-healthpro-air-purifiers.html?itemId=199

I want to know if this item will be okay or if someone has this item or if im cooking with my Non-Stick pans or if im doing some light cleaning my house or even blow drying my hair. Just want to be sure before i bring my Grey home. Is there any other air purifiers anyone recommends??...anything would be very helpful.

the teflon really really really is bad :( I saw it first hand bout a month ago when my friend left a pan on his stove to boil for brewing some tea then got occupied on the phone with his son ... forgot ...water boiled out... burned the pan ... he had 12 baby chicks in his house ... only 3 survived it was horrid. so please always be careful w/the teflon I make sure I use the hair dryer and those sort of things in a different room then my bird is in.

the teflon really really really is bad :( I saw it first hand bout a month ago when my friend left a pan on his stove to boil for brewing some tea then got occupied on the phone with his son ... forgot ...water boiled out... burned the pan ... he had 12 baby chicks in his house ... only 3 survived it was horrid. so please always be careful w/the teflon I make sure I use the hair dryer and those sort of things in a different room then my bird is in.

WTH??????? Why on earth was someone who (I assume) is breeding birds even have teflon in the house???? Those poor babies.

I know rite? :( well they were chickens and they were almost ready to go outside ... but yes a bird is a bird and he surely didnt do it on purpose but it was tragic and horrible :(

Oh!!! Chickens...well maybe he didnt know? I think a lot of parrot owners realize this is dangerous.

Accidents happen...that's why they are called accidents. Much better to remove the danger ahead of time. I had just received a whole set of new teflon coated pans in the months before Shadow arrived. As difficult as it was, I removed them from the kitchen altogether to prevent any accidental use. I have since discovered an Italian brand (Bialetti Aeternum) sold at Target. They have a white ceramic coating and I love them!!

"The eco friendly Aeternum cookware line is free of PFOA, free of PTFE and free of Cadmium." I got mine at Target but it seems they have their own website and can be found at Amazon also.

Casper26, the issue with Teflon is a gas that is released when the Teflon overheats - similar to carbon monoxide. While the air purifier may remove the odor (but probably not), it does not remove the toxicity of the gas released. It's much safer to use stainless steel cookware and not risk it.

I use the Rabbit Air in my bird room with good results.

I was doing some research on this air purifier this is what i found...

"As a bonus, these air purifiers can also protect your bird from YOU! In addition to removing airborne particles, each of these units has a large amount of activated carbon that absorbs odors and chemicals. Many household items such as bleach, tobacco smoke, cleaning solutions, etc., can kill your bird. Over-heated Teflon is extremely toxic to birds and small animals -- and it isn't good for people, either. While there is no guarantee that toxins will never reach your pet, the significant amount of carbon in these air cleaners will remove vapors much faster than inferior units with minimal or non-existent amounts of carbon"

heres the link

http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/bird_breeders_lung.htm

Sayings: Better safe then sorry, If not sure? don't use it, Err on the safe side!!!!!

Teflon Kills, Carpet fresh Kills, Pesticides, perfume/aftershave, bleach odor, Cleaning solutions fumes, And the Yard go's on Forever...

If a person wants a air purifier, or to cook with telfon, fine, don't have parrots, they die hard......Jayd:(

Note: Hold a Macaw against your chest while he looks at you as he dies, while 3 other parrots are already dead, and you helpless because someone was more concerned with Teflon....Carbon removes odor and large particles.....

Edited by Jayd
added

While there is no guarantee that toxins will never reach your pet...
Yeah, I hate to say it, but that's just not good enough for me. I know plenty of people that will take the risk. They also use cleaning fluid with chemicals, burn scented candles and incense. They point out that their birds are "doing just fine." Point is, unless there's a full blood workup on a regular basis, we don't know that the bird is doing just fine. There could be horrible health problems down the line. Better safe than sorry.

LOL, ok people, you guys are right, deff been researching alot of stainless steel pans...

you guys recommend any specific ones ( i know this isn't a cookware forum :)) but something decent they would recommend..

been looking at these...Cuisinart MCP-12 MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set

anything wrong with them/not safe

heres the amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KQZWU?ie=UTF8&tag=cw-ss-1000-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0007KQZWU

LOL, ok people, you guys are right, deff been researching alot of stainless steel pans...

you guys recommend any specific ones ( i know this isn't a cookware forum :)) but something decent they would recommend..

been looking at these...Cuisinart MCP-12 MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set

anything wrong with them/not safe

heres the amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KQZWU?ie=UTF8&tag=cw-ss-1000-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0007KQZWU

Yes, this is what we use, we love there Stainless electric skillet, we also use Cast Iron....Thanks Jayd

I'm a MAJOR foodie and I cook like mad, on a professional level most say, I cater parties for friends and family (not for a living, jut for fun) and I love, love, love my Kitchenaid stainless cookware. Even heating, great weight to it. Cuisinart would be my 2nd choice.

Oh!!! Chickens...well maybe he didnt know? I think a lot of parrot owners realize this is dangerous.
well I guess we just didnt think they were as suseptible to the toxin like parrots and really he didnt do it on purpose they had been in his house for 7 weeks maturing enough to go outside in the pen it was just a tragic accident but it DEFINATELY made me SO aware of just how easily it can kill your pets, parrots and birds alike

My pots and pans are stainless steel with copper cores. Teflon is terrible stuff, but I knew back when I had Garth that teflon was a no no. I do have a bread maker I'll have to get rid of though.
I couldnt get rid of my george foreman grill but NOW i just use it outside lol :D

Casper26, the issue with Teflon is a gas that is released when the Teflon overheats - similar to carbon monoxide. While the air purifier may remove the odor (but probably not), it does not remove the toxicity of the gas released. It's much safer to use stainless steel cookware and not risk it.

I use the Rabbit Air in my bird room with good results.

I agree

I was doing some research on this air purifier this is what i found...

"As a bonus, these air purifiers can also protect your bird from YOU! In addition to removing airborne particles, each of these units has a large amount of activated carbon that absorbs odors and chemicals. Many household items such as bleach, tobacco smoke, cleaning solutions, etc., can kill your bird. Over-heated Teflon is extremely toxic to birds and small animals -- and it isn't good for people, either. While there is no guarantee that toxins will never reach your pet, the significant amount of carbon in these air cleaners will remove vapors much faster than inferior units with minimal or non-existent amounts of carbon"

heres the link

http://www.multiscope.com/hotspot/bird_breeders_lung.htm

I spent so much money and time with getting marco, if something happened to her that I could of prevented I would never forgive myself!

THANX guys for all the info!!

(i need to change my username to Coco (ITS A GIRL, FOUND OUT YESTERDAY)

SOOO, anyone looking to buy some Paula Deen 12 Piece Porcelain Set? lol

yeahhhhhhhhhhhh coco! That is so funny cuz I have a brand new set of Paula Deen's I had to give up as well to my son, and went stainless steel. I didnt change marco's name when I found out she was a girl lol I had been calling her marco for 11 weeks prior so ... you can still call ur babygirl casper if you wanted!