NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

So excited!

Timbersmom

I'm so excited! I've had Timber (rehomed TAG) for about 5 weeks now. He has let me scratch around his head a bit with the bars between us, but not when he was out of the cage. Today he was sitting in his doorway. He seems to like that since he can dart back into the cage if he feels the need to. I touched his beak, which I've been doing most of the time he's been with me, and he didn't jerk away or act like he was going to bite. So, I decided to try touching the side of his neck. He let me scratch around his head for a solid two minutes! Doesn't sound like much, but it's a big leap for us :)

Doesn't sound like much, but it's a big leap for us

Yes it is a big deal for those small steps equal success, its just another peg in the cog that will bring you closer to bonding with Timber and establishing the trust that must be earned, you are doing greyt.

Doesn't sound like much, but it's a big leap for us :)

Any of us with an aloof/rehomed bird knows JUST how huge this is. A little warning - this may be all you get for a bit, so don't lose hope and don't push too hard. I had similar moments with my Spencer (also a rehomed TAG) months ago which have not yet been repeated. Even after having him for over 2 years now, he very much prefers bars between us - then I can grab his beak, feet, pet him, etc. I'm not trying to be discouraging at all. Quite the contrary, I'm letting you know just how SPECIAL Timber clearly thinks you are. Best wishes going forward.

I have actually read many of your posts about Spencer (and other threads about rehomed birds) and appreciate them. They give me an idea of what to expect. I have to say I'll be disappointed if Timber doesn't let me pet him again soon, but not really surprised after reading everyone's experiences. I watch him scratching his neck with toys, peanut shells, etc. and think "I could do that for you!" It's funny how secure their cages seem to make them feel though. I actually got a much larger, nicer cage for Timber, but he has no interest in it at all. In fact, when I put it beside his current cage, he won't even come out of his cage, much less try it out. Fortunately, the one he is in is large enough for him so if he never makes the switch to the new one that's OK.

Well, we had another scratch session last night so it wasn't a fluke! I knew from reading that some birds never want scratches so didn't want to get my hopes up. I'm sure we aren't out of the woods yet with trust. I haven't made any attempt to get Timber to step up since the first few days (he knows what step up means but doesn't want to do it). But, woohoo! :)

I know what you mean! Sometimes they just seem to look at you with longing (maybe that's just what I want to see) and it breaks my heart. Aeriel, lucky you and lucky bird!

I have a question also. While I was scratching around his neck area last night he started preening his chest feathers. I'm assuming that is a good thing (sign of relaxation) but wanted to make sure it doesn't mean something negative (like sexual interest).