NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just some questions for you all...

prettyBird

Hello!!

So I took the plunge and got the nine month old CAG yesterday!! He's very pretty. But I already have some issues I need help with...

First is, he wants out all day. Which would be fine with me, since I'm home anyway. But the problem is, he will NOT step up. The only way I can get him to step up is by wrapping a towel around my hand. Then he does step up somewhat and then flies to the ground, then I can get him and try to put him up, which has turned out to be a hit and miss thing. Is there a better way to be doing this? Or since I just got him yesterday would bit be more appropriate to leave him in his cage for a few days? He has plenty of toys and shreddable things.

Second, since I have gotten to step up onto the towel, he will NOT allow me within a few inches of him. When he first came home he let me pet him but not its a huge no-no. He is perfectly fine with my husband but seems to not tolerate me. But again, its only the second day. Should I just leave him alone?? He wont even take a treat from me anymore but will from my husband. He lashes out, but always misses me.

I want this to work out but I feel like I've made him mad or something.

Thank you!

Well, congratulations on opening your home to a wonderful creature. As you said, it is only day two. He is not familiar with anything yet and is justifiably unsettled. I would definately let him have his space right now. Staying in his cage for a few days is fine. Will he step up willingly with your husband? If he does. maybe for now your hubby can put him back in the cage if he does spend time outside. He may be more comfortable with your husband now, but that may not continue. It is early days. Let him settle and give him choices. Don't force anything. When I got my baby CAG back in December, I tried to rush her into situations too quickly. It set us back a bit. When I backed off and allowed her to progress at her pace, trust was built and things are wonderful now. Be patient. You've got a lifetime with your grey ahead of you. Baby steps. Also, greys are very empathetic and perceptive. If you are stressed, he will know it and it may affect his reaction to you.

Edited by JeffNOK

Since you are home... I would spend as much time in front of cage with door open, interacting, talking ,singing and reading books. I would make both you and hubby responsible together, to do the feedings, etc. Let baby see that your relationship is equal. Greys will pick one favorite, if allowed. ( at least, that is my experience!) I am no expert, but Sophie learned to love all of us! Of course, she loves all of us, for different reasons, and always for her own personal interests. Thats okay! I believe birds are a family affair, and it takes years of patience to get there! It is worth the wait. nancy

He needs more time to settle into his new home since he just came two days ago so be patient with him and allow him time to become more comfortable before asking him to step up and always allow him to come out of his cage before even attempting to as some view their cage as their safe zone and do not like the intrusion of hands. You can work on getting him to learn step up once he is settled in.

Of course he wants to be out all day, who wants to be penned up all day in a cage, he does need time out and if you are at home to keep an eye on him then allow him to be out most of the time, be sure to put away and take care of anything he could get into that could potentially harm or kill him like exposed wires and such.

Most important of all do not push him to do things he is not ready for or comfortable with, you have to earn his trust and to do that you have to respect his wishes, if he is not comfortable with you being so close then back off and let him make the decision to be closer. Be sure to read the thread in the training room on reading body language as it will serve you well in the coming weeks, months and years.

Some greys do not like to be touched very much so let him make the decision whether he wants petted or his neck scratched but for the time being he is in a totally new environment and until he settles in he will be wary of anything and everything so take it slow and easy, rushing will only backfire and set things back for a while.

The whole family should participate in the daily interactions with him, feeding, giving him treats, cleaning his cage and so forth, so no one person is responsible for his care, everyone should spend some time sitting by his cage and talking softly to him but it is a fact that some greys will choose a favorite out of a household and allow that person to do most anything with them while the other members have to settle for second best or worse but usually some kind of compromise can be accomplished.

Thank you all so much! All of your advice has helped. I just let him out of his cage and read by his cage with him on his playtop for about 2 hours. Like usual, he stepped up only my toweled hands. And this time, he went back in without flying or even a fuss! He still wont let me pet him but I really didn't try much. He will allow it to a degree through the bars of his cage.

He's in my large master bath with nothing around him but walls, no cords or anything so hopefully he won't accidentally get hurt!

And my husband has spent some time with him as well. He hasn't cleaned his cage or fed him, but I'll get his help today some.

Again, thank you!!!

Don't towel. It will develop into a bad habit. Better NOT to stepup than towel. I don't mean to sound mean, but it will be a very bad habit, hard to break. There is no rush for bird to stepup. You are home, open the door. Read to bird, encourage him to come out. Hopefully, soon, bird will stepup on the door. Play games in front of the birdcage, with door open. Sophie first would sit on her door, eventually walked out to all of us. We just ignored her( although, we were all excited!) She wanted to play with us! We let her take turns stepping up to whom ever turn it was, and continued to ignore her, but we were willing to give her a chance. She wanted to prove herself, and her value!She was learning " stepup", but didn't know it. She was leaning to interact with the entire family, and didn't know that either! 12 years later... Sophie is the " QUEEN" of the game Trouble, Monapaly,and Sorry. Nancy

No no... I don't towel! I don't like it and its more scary than helpful.

I just WRAP MY HAND with a towel, and he will step up.... it's a start and he isn't so scared when we do it this way. The only part of him the towel is touching his his feet.....

I know its warm but have you tried wearing a long sleeve shirt when asking for a step up? Your baby might have had a bad experience with hands, even something as innocent as slipping off, or a previous caregiver might have worn gloves. A long sleeved shirt with long arms covering not only your wrist but down to the knuckles might help while your baby is getting to know and trust you.

Hi all, wrapping in a towel or using gloves is very bad for a parrot, toweling if done is the safes and proper way to do it.[we've posted just recently on this subject, please reread] Wingy has a good suggestion...What you need to do is sit back as Ialways say, Pome wasn't belt in a day, don't rush anything, relax....Jayd

I'm confused. Does your bird step up on the towel more readily because your baby is more secure stepping up on a towel or is the towel there to protect you from a bite? If it is the bite issue, I would suggest just balling up your hand into a fist rather than using a towel. They may try to bite a fist, but they can't get enough skin to do any damage.

I'm confused. Does your bird step up on the towel more readily because your baby is more secure stepping up on a towel or is the towel there to protect you from a bite? If it is the bite issue, I would suggest just balling up your hand into a fist rather than using a towel. They may try to bite a fist, but they can't get enough skin to do any damage.

HaHaHa lol BS, [No ofences] The sides of the Mandibles are used for cutting, a parrot turns their head side ways and scrapes what ever with the side of their beaks and can take a layer of skin off. They can also pinpoint with their upper beak while dragging their lower beak and gouge a closed fist, besides cracking a knuckle.... Luv ya all....Jayd

Thanks for the reality check Jayd. Gracie is still a baby, so I really haven't ever experienced a real bite. Maybe what I thought was a bite was just a nip. I will hold my bite advice until I have more experience.

Don't do that, we always want your advice, I hope you never get bit that way....We always learn from you..Remember: You can have 10 greys [any parrot] same age in the same room, they'll all be somewhat different...Thank you my friend Jayd

Lol--I'll always give my 2-cents--but that may be all my comments are worth! I have only been a grey parrront for 7 months. I have much much more to learn. Having said that, seven months with a grey should qualify for some kind of credit toward a degree in avian psychology. Maybe 3 credits toward a 180 credit degree. African Grey 101. I'm still a Freshman--but happy to do my daily homework. I'm still curious about that towel. Gracie isn't a huge fan of hands or fingers, but a towel would make her retreat to the other side of her cage. All our fids are different. Just like snowflakes--all unique and beautiful.

Edited by JeffNOK
  • Haha 1

Oh goodness!!!

He is just more apt to step up onto a towel instead of my hand. It's also for my protection, but that being said his bites don't scare me too bad. Mainly its for his benefit. I don't know why it works, but for now it's what we do!! I hope that clarified things a bit better....

Jeff did you get Gracie at a young age? I cant remember....?

Ariel, I brought Gracie home at 4 and a half months. She never nips anymore. We are very bonded, but she doesn't like much touch with hands. I used to think she was very independent, but she keeps an eye on me at all times and wants me near.