NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hallo from red grey

I know this is an old post but I'll add my thoughts! When it comes to breeding any animal for certain traits, you most likely are inbreeding. A perfect example are dog breeds. All dogs are the same species, even though a great dane is completely different than a chihuahua. We all know the problem that certain dog breeds have and this has to do with it being passed down genetically due to trait-specific breeding and inbreeding. Inbreeding is not done as often in dogs because some breeds are hundreds of years old. BUT new breeds are inbred. A perfect example is my white doberman. Before anyone starts accusing me of being irresponsible, he was a rescue!!! LOL Let me tell you that this dog visits the vet monthly due to so many health problems. In order for them to get this color (recessive) they often inbreed. I knew what I was getting into but my friend couldn't take care of him and she really wanted me to have him because she knows how well my animals are taken care of. He is a hemophiliac, has skin issues, allergies to everything, digestive issues, constant skin and ear infections, light sensibility (very light blue eyes) that can cause migraines...the list goes on! He is a great dog, remarkably smart and friendly, but there are stories of these albinos (no one is sure if they are albino or just white) with aggression issues from all the inbreeding. Many of the domestic animals we have now have traits due to inbreeding. I'm not sure how I feel about the red greys. After having Apollo (dobbie) I'm not a fan of trait-specific breeding. By inbreeding these birds, you could be transferring other recessive traits that are detrimental to them. Greys live a lot longer than dogs and we might still not see what this inbreeding is doing to them....they are beautiful animals...heck, I was excited that my grey has random red feathers by his feet but I wouldn't buy one of these birds...with their intelligence, it could be the start of a horror movie similar to Hitchcock's The Birds!

I tried to view his facebook page and it just kept loading and loading loading..Dave you did say you looked at it. Did he say there that he was actually breeding those greys? Here he said he was just a fancier and collector who sometimes buys and sells, he said nothing about breeding them unless it was on his facebook somewhere.