NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Nail trimming help

Christina Larsen

Amy's nails are too long. They really hurt when she's on my hand or arm. We both had a bad experience when we took her to a vet to get them trimmed last time. And there's not an avian vet nearby. I was wondering what my options are if I want to trim her nails myself? I've heard about toweling but I don't know how to teach her the towel game. She has different perches in her cage. Are there specific types that would work best to keep her beak and nails trimmed? Handling Amy has turned into a painful experience, for me anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both of ours have the cement perches for wearing down their nails and we haven't trimmed their nails. It took a little time to get started once our vet recommended the perches and we had to experiment with where to put them. Java is a dipper so I put her dry food away from the water so she has to climb over the cement perch between them and that was the magic spot for her. Gilbert has a higher cement perch where he perches during the day but he doesn't sleep on that one. It does take a little time and energy to figure it out but after the first vet visit where the tech did their nail clipping with much drama from Java in particular, Dr. Jason said it would be a whole lot easier on all involved to let them handle their own grooming with the cement perches.

The cement perch is a great idea! Right now we towel Freya and clip them when they get too sharp. Which she is fine with as the breeder use to towel her to get them use to it for vet visits ect. I have realized our breeder was amazing with the things she taught Freya (like she came pretty much already doing step up).