NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Screaming Sessions & Not Playing With Toys

TSBetsy

Three months ago I adopted a ten year old CAG named Betsy from a rescue. Not much was known of her past. After visiting her several times, I decided that Betsy was a good fit for me and my husband. I have friends that have AG so I thought I knew what I was getting in to. I thought anyway…

My first problem is that I can’t seem to get Betsy to play with any of her toys. I have tried the following…

1) Slowly introducing her to each of her toys. Put the toy in her line of sight from her cage for a few days, hang the toy on the side of her cage for a few days, etc.

2) Play with the toy myself in front of her. This seems to peak her interested a little but as soon as I give her the toy she ignores it.

3) Bought or made toys of every color (red, blue, green, etc.), texture (paper, wood, rope, sisal, etc.) or shape (blocks, circles, beads, stars, etc.) I can find.

4) Made toys in front of her and had her inspect every object/part while making it. She will just pick it up in her beak and fling it.

Nothing that I have tried has worked. I was wondering if anybody has also had this problem? If so, what helped? Suggestions?

My second problem, which I think is stemming from the above problem I mentioned, is that Betsy screams all the time when out of her cage. By screaming, I mean the high-pitched, migraine starting, teeth clenching, mind numbing screams that AG make. I expected some screaming but this is getting to be too much! Her screaming sessions can last up to five minutes straight with sometimes only a minute between. At first I thought that it was because she wasn’t used to me, the play perch, being outside, etc. but it doesn’t matter where she is, what she is doing or what I am doing, she screams. I’ve tried ignoring her and not giving her any attention when she does it. I’ve tried only giving her attention and/or a reward when she says the key phrase “Whatcha doin’?”. I’ll get up to give her attention or a treat when she says it but then she’ll start screaming right after so I then have to go back to ignoring her before I even really had a chance to praise her. You can see where I’m having problems with this strategy. Any suggestions? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Right now it’s getting to the point to where I don’t even want to get her out of the cage. I’m trying to stay positive but I’m slowly getting discouraged and frustrated.

This is the problem with rescues, you never know what kind of treatment and conditions she has had to deal with and her reactions may stem from that.

You are doing what is usually standard procedure to get her to play with her toys, just keep at it and maybe finally she will start playing with them.

Most greys do not scream and that includes mine, maybe yours came from a home that also had a cockatoo, for they scream loudly.

I would bet your problems stem from something in her past homes, and there is not much you can do about it. Maybe some of the other members have a better solution.

Hi TSBtesy and Welcome!

Boy, that sounds like a tough one.

Have your friends that own Greys come over and assessed the behaviour? What do they think may be causing the screaming?

Is the screaming only taking place when outside the Cage?

Since you've had Betsy 3 months, does she interact with you such as stepping up, staying on your hand or shoulder, like scratches, chirp for you or any other actions that would indicate she is becoming attached and less fearful of your and her new home?

Where does she sit when out of the Cage? Does she seemed to have her eyes pinned on anything in particular? Maybe something in that room is upsetting her.

Sorry, I have lots of questions, but no answers :-)

Hi,

At ten years of age & without any history of your grey it's going to be pretty hard to determine what makes your grey scream.Sometimes boredom or not enough human interaction causes an African Grey to scream.does your grey scream at specific times ? eg.. when you leave the room etc.. ? sometimes ignoring the sreaming doesnt work, don’t walk out of the room either because that only feeds its insecurities. Instead wait patiently until it stops yelling and does something else, like talk or play with a toy. Then reward THAT behavior by going up to the bird and telling it what a good bird it is.

i definetly know where you're coming from, jacko had much of the same problems.

foraging toys could be a godsend to you right now, so i definetly recommend that. just take her favorite food and block of wood with holes in it etc. and stuff her treats in there (obviously you're going to have to show her there's food there and let her munch etc so she gets the idea). a big foraging toy favorite for jacko was a gatorade bottle with holes and paper and seeds etc stuffed in it (added bonus with this is she'll have to dig the paper out to get at the food and thus learn how much fun flinging paper is in the process!)

the flinging things away tells me she doesn't trust you (try turning this into a game with her and saying UH OH etc everytime she drops it and retrieve it for her)

but the main thing for you will be just to hang out with her (no eye contact or touching, just chill) also try sitting on the floor by her cage and reading a book, parrots seem baffled by ppl sitting on the floor so she might come down to see wat you're doing (offer her a treat with no eye contact or talking if she does).

it's definetly hard to gain the trust of an older grey but it's also the most rewarding experience, becuase these little rescues seem to have the most fascinating personalities! good luck and keep at it!