NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Quick question about feathers and wings...?

Burkinagin

I have a quick question that I'm not finding the answer too, in my readings. How would I know if Wozzie's wings have been clipped to prevent him from flight, or if he has just never learned. After you see the cage our little guy lived in, I am thinking he probably has just never learned. Today in our play time he was really showing out for me and flapping his wings like crazy. The more I praised him, the more he continued this behavior. We had such fun! I apologize in advance for all my silly questions that one should probably know from a little common sense. Also,there is one feather on his left wing that is sticking out sorts and not laying flat with the others. Should I just ignore it? I was hoping after his bath that Wozie would pull it himself, but it's still there. Maybe you all can direct me to a forum I am not finding abut this...thanks again...Burkinagin

If Wozzie has a feather out of place then he will take care of it when he is ready, Josey does this too sometimes and I allow her to deal with it and he will in his good time.

He will need lots of practice flapping his wings to strengthen his muscles to get them ready for flight, non flighted bird's muscles are weak from non use and must be built up so it will take some time.

Well, I never had Tui clipped, but I've seen people compare flighted and non-flighted birds. In birds who haven't had their wings clipped, their primary feathers cross over on top of their tails when they fold the wings down. Non flighted birds tend to have shorter primaries which don't actually go as far as the tail. That's what I've noticed in photos - I could be wrong, so if anyone has read this and I'm off, please do say so. So if Wozzie's wings cross and this covers his tail, chances are he hasn't been clipped. :) Hope that helps!