NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Concerns about the groomer

Zoom

The post with the video of the woman "teaching" the Grey owner how to handle her bird reminded me of a problem I'm having.

I've had Simon's nails groomed three times - once by the vet when he was in for his check-up, and twice by a young woman who makes house calls and does grooming of birds, cats, and dogs.

He really hates it. She wraps him in a towel and he has no choice but to submit, though he screams and tries to bite and get away. After, he's so hot and upset.

I hate it too. I hate handing my bird to her. I worry about traumatizing him and I worry about how it might affect him and the bond of trust between us.

But I don't know what else to do. His nails need to be trimmed from time to time, and there's no way he's going to consent to it.

Any suggestions?

Have you seen the Barbara Heidenreich training video called Training for the Veterinary Exam? This goes over ways to get your bird to accept a small hand file so you can do it yourself periodically. It also in general goes over simple ways to make the dreaded towel less traumatic.

I haven't seen that particular video but I can imagine that is would be very helpful as she knows her stuff and what works, maybe I should try watching that for Josey's talons usually stay very sharp even with rough perches in her cage.

If you have a variety climbing perches of different sizes and kinds of wood with abrasive surfaces you should never need to trim Simon's nails as they will wear naturally. Parrots need to scratch around in gravel trays, climb and chew to keep nails and beaks in trim. Cage bars are useless for that and cage perches aren't a lot of use either. I make Misty climbing trees festooned with sisal ropes and that seems to work for him. I could be wrong of course. It may just be that my skin is so callused from sharp claws that I just don't notice any more!:D

Steve n Misty

Edited by Mistyparrot

No bird... should EVER be toweled! My birds go for a trim twice a year, for beaks and nails. ( i'm not going to do it!) They stepup immediately to my groomer, ask NO QUESTIONS! They are on " excellent behavior" They are happy to be there! They get glowing reports.Yes, they have had a relationship with the groomer since the day they came into our home. It is a relationship, that is just as important as a vet. I'm lucky to have found a groomer that has known my birds for past twelve years. nancy

The towel can be scary but inventing games that include a small towel can be helpful in creating good feelings associated with the towel and helping it be less traumatic. With the zon we did things like hiding a toy or treat under a small piece of towel and playing a peek a boo type game, placing towels on the floor and sitting down to play on them, using them as blankets for our selves. Eventually the zon learned the towel was good and liked being wrapped up while getting scritches and enjoying family movie time. Each of these things happened slowly and in steps but eventually the towel was seen as something good and cozy.

Simon doesn't mind towels. We play peekaboo with a towel after our shower, and he loves looking for my face under the towel. He just doesn't like being wrapped in a towel and plunked on his back so his nails can be trimmed. He also doesn't like anybody holding him except me, and I feel bad handing him over to her against his will.

Simon doesn't mind towels. We play peekaboo with a towel after our shower, and he loves looking for my face under the towel. He just doesn't like being wrapped in a towel and plunked on his back so his nails can be trimmed. He also doesn't like anybody holding him except me, and I feel bad handing him over to her against his will.

Simon will forget the groomer/vet, not you:)