NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pet Store Grey

Hello. Glad I found this site, as I am full of questions and concerns about my imminent parrot parentage. His name is Dorian, and he has lived in the pet store of a friend since he was a year old. He is almost five now. He is already bonded to me (and me to him) but I probably won't be bringing him home until the spring. I actually work a few hours of the month at the store so I have a key, and permission to go in and work with him when I can. I'm worried because everything I read is telling me that he should be a sickly, neurotic, feather plucking mess. His diet is extremly limited, he rarely gets new toys (I've been trying to introduce some) and he doesn't like to leave his cage. If I leave the door open, he actully closes it! I have gotten him to come out to explore the outside of the cage but he won't let go of the bars, and the only time he's come onto my hand is when he was startled and glided down to the floor. Obviously, he's never been taught to 'step up'

All that being said, he seems to be a very healthy and happy bird. He has many words, phrases and sounds, although most are not interactive except hello (and he says "Hello, Chew Chews" Whenever the phone rings). The first thing I want to do is teach him to step up onto my hand. Any advice on how to do this with a bird that isn't a baby would be welcome. I want to be a great parent to this furry little soul I've fallen in love with!

Hi Buddy! Welcome to the family.

Just do what I told you on the chat the otherday. Use the stick or your hand for the step-up and gentle pressure on the feet while saying "Step-up". He will eventually step up and then you praise him a lot. Be very excited when he steps up. Make noise.

Offer a treat. Return him to his perch and say something like "Go Back".

Repeat this a few times and then leabve him alone for an hour or so just talk to him and repeat this process.

Let us know how it goes.

Falconeer is right about getting him to step up, just nudge him a little and when he gets a little off balance he should step up to escape from falling back. He is cage bound, he only feels safe in his cage so he will need some encouragement to come out and be socialable. Show him you are having fun and maybe he will want to join in eventually.

Just think of how much better he will look when you can get him on a proper diet but in the meantime work on his stepping up skills.

We would love to see a picture of Dorian if you have one you would like to share with us.

Welcome Acappella !!

It sounds like you are that poor Greys answer to prayers.

Your description of how he clings to the Cage and closing the door when opened indicates he only feels safe inside it. I can not imagine a Grey living in a Pet Store for 5 years with gobs of people poking and pushing their fingers at him and just plain acting like morons, as I have seen some people do to these poor guys in stores.

You are his life raft and guide into the world of love and lifetime companionship. It is great to hear of how you are trying to interact with him and teach him some basic, yet very import things such as step-up.

I am, as you indicated, surprised he is not a neurotic, mean and nasty little guy after being there so long. That really says tons about his perseverance and ability to adapt to such a terrible environment for a birds of any type to be in for such an extended amount of time.

Hopefully you can spend more time with him as your schedule permits and really develop that relationship.

Please keep us informed of progress and interaction with this wonderful Grey. :-)

Some photos, if possible would be great too!!

Well, Dorian got up the courage otday to venture onto the outside of his cage wall, and I got up the courage to gently get him to let go and come onto my hand. He flapped alot, and kept trying to make his way onto my shoulder, and I kept putting my other hand infront of him and saying step-up when he transferred from one forearm to the opposite hand. He was shaking quite a bit, but then he let me put him against my chest and stroke his back until he calmed down, and then his curiosity got the better of him and he started looking around from his new perspective. The little monkey did make it onto my shoulder at last, and was trying to figure out how to get on top of my head, so I calmly moved over to his cage and let him transfer there instead. He promptly went to the top of the cage, but when I shelled a peanut and told him he could have it if he went to his perch (one of our rituals for treats), he came down and went in on his own. I really praised him, and then I let him watch me load a foraging toy I bought him with peanuts. When I left he was trying to get them out, and he gave me a quick kiss, so I think I'm forgiven for taking him out of his comfort zone.

If you guys will bear with me, I'll tell you a bit about his life. My friend Bev bought him as a baby and he spent the first months of his life in their home. When Bev and her husband opened the pet store they were spending so many hours there she was worried about him being alone all the time, so that's when she moved him to the store, always intending to take him home when things settled down. Then Bev was diagnosed first with stomach cancer, had that surgery and treatment, then 5 months later found a malignant lump in her breast and had that removed, chemo, and all that goes with it. Of course from Dorian's perspective all he knew was that his flock, Bev and her husband, were suddenly gone. I started filling in a few hours at first to keep the store going, and when it became clear that Bev was going to be missing for months, I found a mutual friend to take over running the store. (Now she's actually buying the place!) Dorian transferred his affection to Debbie and me, but has from the start loved me (He knew a sucker when he saw one).

When Bev and Brian started coming back in, he was hostile to Brian, and barely tolerated Bev. When she saw me interacting with Dorian she asked me if I was interested in buying him. Knowing what the cage he is in alone cost, I told her it was out of my reach financially. That's when she decided to sell me Dorian, his big cage, his 'moving' cage (which I want to use as a sleep cage) and all his perches, and toys, for $1500, which she's letting me pay off by the month. So she really only wants to know he's in a good home. Anyway, that's why he probably won't physically be in my home until the spring.

Oh, and that brings me to one of many questions I'm sure I'll bring to you all. Is it true that he shouldn't be moved when the weather is cold, even if it's just from store to heated car to house? I want to do everything right and make things as easy and as healthy for him as possible! Thanks to everyone for their words of encouragement. G'nite!

Hi Acappella,

What a story. I really feel for the store owners and their battle with cancer. It is really inspiring to hear of friends such as yourself who step up and pitch in to do all they can in times of crisis like you have described.

It sounds like Dorian is really taking to you and will love his new home once you get him there in the coming months. :-)

Thanks for posting this!!