NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Modular Cage from Bird Cages Direct: Anyone used these?

FirstPenguin

I came across a cage on Windy City Parrot that caught my attention. They're an online retailer that seems to have it together.

https://www.windycityparrot.com/Outdoor-Indoor-Flex-Bird-Aviary-3-Ft-X-3-Ft_p_3329.html

model_bp336mtb_small_door_2.jpg&maxx=350&maxy=0

It's made up of modular panels that can be configured in different ways. Plus it's american made apparently. I then found the company that makes it. Turns out they sell the same stuff direct.

http://www.birdcagesdirect.net/1-inch-bird-cage-panels.htm

You can buy all the different panel options either in a kit or ala carte. I'm about to put a deposit on a fledgling grey and thought this would be a great way to have a cage grow with a bird. all the panels are 3x3 feet. I thought a 3x3x3 cage elevated on a stand would be a good starter, and then when it's a better climber I could expand to a jumbo 3x3x6.

Any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good! Greys don't like changes, so first cage should be forever. Bigger, also, is NOT always better, since they like smaller cages in the beginning, but hate, to accept a bigger and newer cage in the future. Whatever cage you decide, should be a cage forever! Gyms, also tend to be forever. Sophie's metal gym for past 12 years, is the only gym she will except. It has been repaired over and over. She was mad at me the other day, since I have worked sixty hours this week. Ryan, spent a ton of time with her, but she was mad at me. I came down this morning, told her " hi". She ignored me, stared strait ahead! I knew, she was mad! She lasted about a minute, slid down ger metal gym and off we went! I was happy she couldn't stay mad at me Nancy

Looks good! Greys don't like changes, so first cage should be forever. Bigger, also, is NOT always better, since they like smaller cages in the beginning, but hate, to accept a bigger and newer cage in the future. Whatever cage you decide, should be a cage forever! Gyms, also tend to be forever. Sophie's metal gym for past 12 years, is the only gym she will except. It has been repaired over and over. She was mad at me the other day, since I have worked sixty hours this week. Ryan, spent a ton of time with her, but she was mad at me. I came down this morning, told her " hi". She ignored me, stared strait ahead! I knew, she was mad! She lasted about a minute, slid down ger metal gym and off we went! I was happy she couldn't stay mad at me Nancy

Nancy, this info is wrong. True, Greys don't like change, but they will and can accept it...... Jayd

I am happy to report that Shadow does not have any real trouble with change! I acquired a second cage, that looked like her first, for use in the screened porch. I expected her to question this new house but she went right in. I assumed because it looked like her original cage, however, I bought 2 new cages, (different stlye) this weekend in preparation for Lola's arrival. After setting them up, Shadow has happily investigated and moved right in! Crazy girl.

Something I'm surprized no one has mentioned is "Sleeping Cages" ,If your set up in a way that your Grey can be free most of the time, you can use a small "Sleeper". With a rescue or a re-home, they should be kept in there original [if possible] cage until you decide to move them. Our Joe came with his original cage, Tango [10yrs old] and Freddy [20 yrs old] don't care, Spock, from a egg, cried bloody murder if he saw anything new......Thanks Jayd

• 8 months later...