NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

getting my baby aftrican grey in 2 weeks :)

hi im new

payed the breeder for him today - but have to wait 2 weeks before i can bring him to his new home :(

going on holiday on the 13th july - so will go get him the same day as his home is already set up...

i have a partner and 3 year old reasonably well behaved daughter - he will be my responsibility and pet but oviously he will be another member out family - i thinking that its probly best to introduce my daughter and the birdy slowly as want to her to learn respect for him and how look after him over time

hopefully build up there bond ....... obviously if i let her over do it when he still a baby then birdy may always have issues with her handling her for ages.........

anyone got experience of this and any tips?

i spent a few mins with him earlier and he seemed after checking me out from a few different head angles. be slowly comeing over to me and i was sitting next him, and he was on a stand.......

roll on 20th july :)

\

Hello James and welcome to our family, my that is one sweet little baby grey you have there with that adorable little red nub of a tail.

Yes you want to take your time in introducing baby to your 3 year old daughter as she is too young to really understand the behavior of a grey, you should not allow her to get too close until she can understand a grey's bite can be very painful and capable of doing damage to little fingers. You do not want her rushing up to the bird for that might startle him/her and usually birds and especially greys do not take to young children very easily as they tend to be running fast and use quick movements that birds do not like.

Be sure to read thru the thread on reading body language, it is in the training room, it will serve you well in the coming months and years but the most important thing is just to relax and enjoy your grey, allow it time to settle into it's new home and feel comfortable and we will be here to help with any questions you may have.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been on holiday - I've had a great time but I'm looking forward to getting home as we pick up our baby grey on Sunday - cant wait

Getting home Friday night but am spending Saturday setting up his new home and getting things ready :)