NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greater Vasa Parrot

cheebamaster

Sorry if this is in the wrong place...I tried to post in "other birds" section but didn't know which subcategory.

I am currently looking for more information and perhaps a breeder for the Greater Vasa parrot. Apparently these awesome birds are cousins to the African Greys, great speakers and extremely intelligent. They are quite rare but a spectacle to look upon.

If anyone has any information or can point me in the right direction let me know!

Greater Vasas are notable in the parrot world for their peculiar appearance, which includes extremely truncated bodies with long necks, and black to grey feathers. Their beaks range in coloration from a light cream to a dark brown with everything in between.

They are approximately 20" (50 cm) long, with a wing length of 11.77 x 12.68 ins (299 - 322 mm). The plumage is generally a brownish black with a gray tinge to the wings.

Immatures look like adults, but with more brownish plumage and a black iris. They have light colored eye rings which turn brown as they grow older. The beaks of immature vasas start out almost all cream to light brown, but is turning dark brown as they mature.

vasa2.jpg

I'm checking on breeders for you...

http://www.oldworldaviaries.com/prices.html [Texas]

Jayd

Edited by Jayd

Vasa's are rare and hard to find in many areas. We had a member a few years ago that obtained one and shared many stories, photos and videos of it. They are certain unique in physical attributes if you will in regards their external sex organ. :)