NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about hominy

Timbersmom

Just a quickie, is hominy OK for TAG's? Can't see why not but wanted to check...

Are you talking about the canned hominy or the dried hominy grits you prepare yourself?

;) Hi, Hominy has very little food value, it's also loaded with salt...not good for our fids...Thanks Maggie

I agree with the canned hominy being pretty bad stuff but what about the dried hominy grits you prepare yourself? I just looked at my container and there is no sodium (and I add no salt in cooking).

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/other-products/grits/grits-oldfashioned.aspx

INGREDIENTS: WHITE HOMINY GRITS MADE FROM CORN, NIACIN*, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE*, RIBOFLAVIN*, FOLIC ACID*. *ONE OF THE B VITAMINS

Here is the nutritional information and the human serving size. It contains more vitamins/minerals and less fat than old fashioned oatmeal or steel cut oats.

Serving size 1/4 Cup (41 g)

Amount per serving

Calories 150 Calories from Fat 5

%Daily Value*

Total Fat 0.5g 1%

Saturated Fat 0 0%

Trans Fat 0g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g

Monounsaturated Fat 0g 0%

Sodium 0mg 0%

Total Carbohydrate 32g 11%

Dietary Fiber 1g 3%

Protein 4g

Iron 10%

Thiamin 15%

Riboflavin 10%

Niacin 10%

Folic Acid 20%

Jayd here..

Broken down for our parrots:

Serving size 1/16 Cup (5 g)

Amount per serving

Calories 37.5 Calories from Fat

Total Fat 0.1,25g 1%

Saturated Fat 0 0%

Trans Fat 0g

Polyunsaturated Fat 0g

Monounsaturated Fat 0g 0%

Sodium 0mg 0%

Total Carbohydrate 8g 11%

Dietary Fiber .25g 3%

Protein 1g

Iron 2.5%

Thiamin 2.7%

Riboflavin 2.5%

Niacin 2.5%

Folic Acid 5%

[% is for 2000 cal or 2500 cal human diet, null for parrots..!]

As Maggie posted, no nutritional value for parrots, all hominy does is fill and distracts from needed food.

Should all products with corn (and or oats) as one of the main ingredients be avoided? I only mention oats because when I looked at old fashioned and steel cut oats for a nutritional comparison the grits were a better nutritional choice.

Edited by Wingy

Should all products with corn (and or oats) as one of the main ingredients be avoided? I only mention oats because when I looked at old fashioned and steel cut oats for a nutritional comparison the grits were a better nutritional choice.

If you look at a simply box or bag description, maybe but if you compare products the answer is no. Corn, for human and pets alike are used as a "filler". Corn and oats are absorbed differently and oats have both omega acids. I've always posted, feed little corn! Feed oats not grits or corn....Thanks Jayd

P.s We need to remember Birds are not human!!! Treat them as such!!!

Here's some charts:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5708/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/breakfast-cereals/1725/2

Please compare the charts...

Edited by Jayd

African Greys in the wild eat corn/maize along with other items in their diet. Corn is a source of carbohydrates which you burn a ton of flapping those wings... Dayo gets a small corn on the cob about once a month and absolutley loves it> :)

Corn nutrition:

1 6 1/2" ear (or 1/2 cup) has approximately:

• 75 calories
  • 15 grams carbohydrate
  • 2 grams protein
  • 1 grams fat
  • 2 grams fiber

Corn calories are a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, folate, phosphorus, manganese, vitamin B1, and vitamin B5.

In other words...the nutritional value of corn is worthy of considering! It's NOT a source of "empty" calories like so many other "starchy" foods (pretzels, white bread, white pasta, cookies, muffins, cakes, etc.).

The nutritional value of corn goes beyond vitamins and minerals. Corn is packed with health-protective substances called beta-cryptoxanthin and lutein.

These are the carotenoids (plant chemicals) that give corn it's yellow color and they have disease protecting effects against lung cancer and macular degeneration.

One note, no vegetables I provide are ever from a can. They are always purchased fresh or frozen and prepared by myself or wife to ensure we know that there is zero salt for example. They like veggies raw and cooked. Some days they prefer one or the other. I also provide frozen veggie mixes that I microwave to either a thawed or cooked state.

I do give Timber corn on the cob (just a small piece) because it is one of the only things I've found that he will eat. At least it is unprocessed and unsalted! It is so funny to watch him eat. I never realized how birds ate until observing him. He pulls off the individual kernel, sucks out the juice then spits the husk out.

I do give Timber corn on the cob (just a small piece) because it is one of the only things I've found that he will eat. At least it is unprocessed and unsalted! It is so funny to watch him eat. I never realized how birds ate until observing him. He pulls off the individual kernel, sucks out the juice then spits the husk out.

Thats what my birds do too, interesting how they do that instead of just eating the kernal, I guess it is just like they do a seed which corn is but we eat the whole kernal, they leave the hull.

Grits serve a wonderful purpose.

Grits is a great product to use when sitting in the old wild west tiny diner in the middle of nowhere that has a barn next to it with your horse tied outside waiting for a bale of hay for the cows back yonder. Revolvers are usually kept holstered. It was a favorite place for Clint Eastwood in The Good the Bad The Ugly. Grits is a sure fire way to belch hard and fart harder.